Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Africa

Out of curiousity what happens to the meat from all those animals? I don't know much about sport hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by B View Post
    Out of curiousity what happens to the meat from all those animals? I don't know much about sport hunting.
    It is the meat you eat while in Camp as well as the meat is given to the employees as pay/bonus to help feed their families. Nothing goes to waste. In some cases, particularly in remote areas, the meat is donated to the villages to help support them and reduce poaching.

By the way Gemsbok is outstanding meat....
    Let Valour not Fail

CGN Regular
    Keep the pics and comments coming, I am leaving for Namibia in 21 days, 22 hours, 41 minutes. But who's counting I'm not sure I won't split by then but this kind of thread sure feeds the excitement
    "We're only immortal for a limited time.” ― Neil Peart Thanks for the memories, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus32 View Post
    It is the meat you eat while in Camp as well as the meat is given to the employees as pay/bonus to help feed their families. Nothing goes to waste. In some cases, particularly in remote areas, the meat is donated to the villages to help support them and reduce poaching.

By the way Gemsbok is outstanding meat....
    Nice, I know what I am doing when I retire!

Why wait until you retire? We have hunting packages that start at $5000.00. Air tickets are around $2000.00. Africa has never been more affordable! Enjoy the magic of Africa now!

A super Boabab tree, I think I need to check that spelling!

Wolfgang with a Gemsbock

Craig with his Gemsbock. Craig and Wolfgang were both shooting CZ 550 rifles in .375 H&H and were delighted with their performance. Their practice shooting Gophers off hand was now paying them dividends!

Be carefull what you sit on.
    Last edited by Mr Wolverine; 08-26-2008 at 09:55 PM.

Adansonia digitata - Baobab

You got it right John :D

Here is a bigger one....

"And so, pointing fingers become pointing guns,
    because nobody listens to fingers"

We harvested two good Kudu.

Craig with a super Kudu

Wolfgang with his Kudu, just over 50 inches. A “long shot” all of 19 yds!

Another view of Wolfgang’s Kudu, perfectly even with superb deep curls. I think this was the finest trophy that any of us collected on this trip.

Great photos John! What are the taxidermy/freight costs like per mount?
    “...Only accurate rifles are interesting.”
    - Colonel Townsend Whelen

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    - Will Rogers

Personally I think the Taxidermy fees charged in South Africa are very reasonable, we use Bulls Eye Taxidermy, their work has been excellent and carried out in a timely manner. Most importantly they have always offered excellent advice on the best mount to bring out the best in the animal and suit your situation. Turn around is approx 6 months, so we will have our trophies before Christmas. The cheapest would be a simple European skull mount which for the small Springbuck is $125, a shoulder mount for a Springbuck would be $420, a Kudu $800 and my large Eland $970. Shipping is not cheap, last year Air Fright for my Waterbuck and Impala shoulder mount with a Zebra hide cost $1400.00.

Check out Bulls Eye at www.bullseyetaxidermy.co.za

You could have your trophies “skinned and dipped” and then shipped, shipping would be cheaper but you will pay more for Taxidermy in Canada and there are fewer Taxidermist in Canada who are skilled at mounting African animals.

The Waterbuck from my first trip.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast