Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Elephant

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gibbs505's Avatar
    Ah yes, I would love to hunt elephant and buffalo as well!
    So I can't spell, so what!!!
    Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
    Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!
    Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

BANNED
    WoW!
    Your shoulder must be still stinging 2 this day. A couple of more questions if you don't mind.
    What outfitter were you with on this hunt? Or was it a company sponsored hunt?
    Did you donate the meat to the locals? Or did you use it for bait on another dangerous game?
    Please tell me how much was the taxidermy bill on this amazing trophy.
    P.S. Your Company Rocks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Satain View Post
    WoW!
    Did you donate the meat to the locals? Or did you use it for bait on another dangerous game?
    Please tell me how much was the taxidermy bill on this amazing trophy.
    P.S. Your Company Rocks!!!
    Great question ... can't you see the faces of the locals how they shine with excitement since they will now have elephant to eat and won't be goin hungry.

Also, undeniably John is going to have the elephant stuffed and put it in his living room and start a hobby of making ivory carvings.

P.S. Please post a picture of a closeup shot of your black mamba
    Last edited by 15567; 11-20-2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: mamba request
    "What we got here is a failure to communicate"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dogleg's Avatar

Talking

Congratulations! Elephant hunting is the most incredible hunting experience I've had. Buffalo doesn't even begin to compare.
    Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "over .40". Coincidence? I don't think so.

CGN Regular
    Congrats...awesome pictures!

Can`t wait to do the same thing one day.

I have over 600 pictures to sort out and will post more as time permits. First to answer some questions;

No my shoulder does not sting, I fired at least 10 rds per day from resting at 50 yds to off hand at 25, 20 and 15 yds per day for the 14 days prior to leaving. I once fired 36 rds in one afternoon when working up my reloads, on that occassion I noticed I had a "slight" flinch the next day.

The locals were offered the meat, they drove out in their donkey carts with axes and knives to do the butchering. We had them cut off the head, 16 men loaded the head onto the back of the Toyota truck for us. This truck hit and killed two cows in the road on the way home, but then that is how the whole trip went, I had a real adventure.

No I do not have a close up of the Black Mamba, and I have no intention of ever trying to get a close up of a snake like that! No matter how much you pay me.

Also a Leopard had a near miss with me, but that tale is for later.

As for the taxidermy bill, I am just having the tusks prepared with brass end caps to hang on the wall. Pat is a great wife, but I would not try and bring a stuffed Elephant in to the house, even I know when to stop.

My PH was Jeff Smith, Unforgetable Safaries, I have hunted with him on three different occassions now and he is excellent, we have become close frends and we would be very pleased to arrange bookings with him. Next year I plan to hunt a Cape Buffalo with Jeff and Matt is comimg along to hunt some plains game, I am afraid that nothing will ever compare with hunting Elephant. When the first bull, a huge fellow 15 ft to the top of his head ran up and stopped only 20 yds in front of me with 4 young bulls in support, it was an awsome sight. He was lucky he had a broken tusk, so I held my fire.
    Last edited by Mr Wolverine; 11-22-2008 at 10:08 AM.

Uber Super GunNutz DANCESWITHEMPTIES's Avatar
    Congradulations on a successful hunt. Many only dream of a hunt like that, myself included. What does a hunt like this cost v.s. hunting plains game?
    What would you recommend for preperation for a hunt like this, other than your wallet?

Next year cost will be 20 to 25,000.00 US$. As for preperation, get fit, practice short range off hand shooting with your chosen rifle using your hunting loads and learn about Elephant. Research the Elephant, as a minimium read Richard Harland's "The Art of Hunting the African Elephant" and watch the 2 hour video "Hunting the African Elephant by Buzz Charlton" both are excellent. These are great animals and the more you learn about them the more you will enjoy the hunt. I am looking for two hunters to take back next year, any takers?

Congratulations! That sounds like quite the experience. (How do you top that???)

Looking forward to hearing more details about your trip.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer heavyBullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    Next year cost will be 20 to 25,000.00 US$. As for preperation, get fit, practice short range off hand shooting with your chosen rifle using your hunting loads and learn about Elephant. Research the Elephant, as a minimium read Richard Harland's "The Art of Hunting the African Elephant" and watch the 2 hour video "Hunting the African Elephant by Buzz Charlton" both are excellent. These are great animals and the more you learn about them the more you will enjoy the hunt. I am looking for two hunters to take back next year, any takers?

I left my $25 000 in my other pants.......