Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Elephant

CGN Ultra frequent flyer dutchhunter's Avatar
    i just love th idea every time i read my books by peter capstick on africa hunting i feel like i am there with you guys one day i will make it i have a dream to hunt a cat and a kudo for starters keep on dreaming one day it will happen DUTCH

Great read! Thanks for posting all this info!

Does it taste good? Is it complicated to bring back the meat in Canada?
    yay!

CGN Regular
    I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread! Thank you for sharing.
    "Leaf Lickin Liebrals - Number one threat to Canada"

Quote Originally Posted by daedra83 View Post
    Does it taste good? Is it complicated to bring back the meat in Canada?

Last I checked, you can't bring the meat back to canada, but it goes to feed the local villages and you get to eat whilst you are in africa , but a definite no go to bring it back , which really sucks but hey if it feed the masses I can live with that I have a friend that works at wally world here in selkirk and he says I can do a hunt in namibia for the 7 plains game for under 10 k plus airfare , so it's really not that expensive, plus euro mounts would only run me around 300 $ for the lot. How accurate that is i have no clue , but this is what he told me , so i'm game to go soon , got my cz550 458 win mag and ruger 416 rigby , and am working on going in the next couple of years or so when time permits
    The World is Run By Those That Show Up
    CSSA - Proud Member

I have just posted our standard price (Hunt Africa Safari Inc) list for 2009 and yes it is possible to have a good Plains Game hunt for under $10,000. We are also working on some package deals which we will be anouncing ASAP. If anyone is intrested please contact me.

Hunting in Africa is unbelievable, WARNING it can become extreemly addictive, trust me, I know!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BigUglyMan's Avatar
    There are only 5 countries in Africa from which you can import ivory to the US - South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Tanzania. Elephant can also be hunted in Mozambique but trophies cannot be imported to the US (US Fish and Wildlife Service rules, not CITES). All of the above countries (including Moz) have CITES elephant quotas. I'm not sure about the importation of ivory to Canada. I know it's possible but not sure what countries they allow or disallow.

And John is right - Africa is horribly addicting. I went 2 years ago as was hoping to go this spring but that went in the can. Next summer is the new plan. I want to hunt the Caprivi Strip - all the benefits of Botswana genetics in the buffalo but the political stability of Namibia. But nothing in stone yet.
    Front Toward Enemy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Republic of Alberta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post

Can you please explain to me how the 3rd fastener on your rifle engages and what it is called. I can see it fits in on an angle and must prevent forward movement of the bbls off the action face????.. but I do not understand how... or if.... it prevents the action from opening.

Also, I really enjoyed reading about your hunt.
    Last edited by Republic of Alberta; 01-12-2009 at 10:17 PM.
    A man must feel the beat of a hardy life in his veins before he can be a good big game hunter.

Theodore Roosevelt

Can you please explain to me how the 3rd fastener on your rifle engages and what it is called. I can see it fits in on an angle and must prevent forward movement of the bbls off the action face????.. but I do not understand how... or if.... it prevents the action from opening.

Thank you for your comments and a very good question! The third fastener is called a “Dolls Head” it is designed to strengthen the lock up, just how effective that maybe is debatable. Some “Dolls Head” have a locking cross slot in them, which certainly would prevent opening, this example does not. I will leave any debate on this locking system to better engineers than myself.

Lock up is extremely tight on this rifle. I always check all my ammo, both factory and reloads in the barrels before leaving for a hunt. With the barrels off the action and the extractors down there is a very satisfying clunk clunk as two rds are dropped in the chamber. I tilt the rifle up and they slide out, occasionally they may hesitate, if they do they go in the practice bin. When this rifle is closed with two live rds in the chamber, it closes like a vault door! I have absolute faith in the reliability and performance of this rifle, if I did not I would not use her to hunt dangerous game. This year I hunt Cape Buffalo and I think this rifle will be in my hands when I do.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Republic of Alberta's Avatar
    "Dolls head" Thank you. The other doll's heads I have seen had the locking slot you mention. I had originally thought the reason they were called dolls heads was because when viewed from the *side* the locking slot makes it look like a head. Perhaps it is supposed to look like a head from the *top*.... so much for my imagination.

Here is another one for you but this time about your Merkel. What are "side clips" and where are they. I know a "clam shell" surrounds the sides of the bbls, but these are obviously not side clips, the only extra thing I see on the Merkel is the Greener cross bolt.
    A man must feel the beat of a hardy life in his veins before he can be a good big game hunter.

Theodore Roosevelt