Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Elephant

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Very well said. Your a great spokesman.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    “I don't get it. I feel bad for those elephants. At $25,000.00 per? WTF!!!”

I assume you don’t agree with hunting Elephant or maybe even hunting in general? I respect your opinion, but I will try to explain a little.

The elephant population in Africa is increasing, in some small areas it may be declining but the total is increasing, so is the human population and the usable land base is decreasing. The result is that the elephant population needs to be controlled, if not an over population will cause needless habitat destruction which has an escalating detrimental effect on other species. Elephant birth control has been tried and many do not see culling in a favourable light so this leaves “sport hunting”. This is very strictly controlled (A Botswana game warden accompanied me the whole time I was hunting), sport hunting brings money into the local community.

There is a saying in Africa regarding the wild game “If it pays, it stays” The large increase in wild animal populations is due to the favourable economics of hunting. For example: Public auctions are held where captured wild game is sold; this enables landowners to purchase breeding stock and improve the quantity and quality (improved genetics) of the animals on their property.

I have seen Rhino on property being fed and nurtured, one day some of them will be hunted, but the trade off is that their population is increasing, this has to be good, whether you believe in hunting or not.

As for feeling bad for the Elephant, they are very capable of looking after them selves.
    Elephant always manage to kill a PH or hunter or two every year, apart from several unwary locals. Not for nothing are they a member of the “big five” I feel very privileged in being able to hunt them, after I shot my bull I carried the video camera, I stood unarmed and “shot” film instead, it was great. They are very noble beasts, the thrill of hunting them ranks as one of the best experiences of my life. I can’t begin to describe the feeling of aw when the first big bull (15 ft to the top of his head) trotted up to 20 yds from me, to check me out, he had four young bulls backing him up. I was so pleased that he had one tusk broken off, he wasn’t the trophy I wanted so I did not have to shoot him. I will carry that memory with me forever, that and the huge grins on the faces of the trackers and PH when I looked round and said, “So that is an Elephant, they are real after all!”

To me Africa is magical, the animals and the country have me enchanted, it matters not if you carry a rifle or camera, the experience of a trip there is unbelievable.

Juanvaldez, thank you for your comments, I find it easy to be a "great spokesman" (your words not mine) when you have a passion for something and I have found a passion for Africa she is unbelievable.

Side clips: These are the small extensions found on both sides of the standing breach face that extend forwards and mate with a bevel on the barrels, they stop any sideways movement, often found on European and German rifles. They are on the Merkel I use, I can post a picture if required.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    Side clips: These are the small extensions found on both sides of the standing breach face that extend forwards and mate with a bevel on the barrels, they stop any sideways movement, often found on European and German rifles. They are on the Merkel I use, I can post a picture if required.
    A picture would be appreciated.

Close up of Merkel 140 in 9.3 x 74R showing the side clips.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Republic of Alberta's Avatar
    Thanx for the nice picture, I can easily see what you are talking about, how they fit and how they work.
    A man must feel the beat of a hardy life in his veins before he can be a good big game hunter.

Theodore Roosevelt

One of the best threads I've read. Your pictures are incredible. Can we get you to post some more? I'll start saving my pennies now, give me 10 years and hopefully these animals will still be available to hunt.

Thanks for the close-up of the side-clips. Very interesting!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dogleg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jjackman View Post
    One of the best threads I've read. Your pictures are incredible. Can we get you to post some more? I'll start saving my pennies now, give me 10 years and hopefully these animals will still be available to hunt.
    With the rate trophy elephant costs are increasing, I wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper for you to just borrow the money and go now? Saving 10% of the trip costs per year, you may not keep up with inflation.

A more practical method is to spend the next 10 years increasing your earning power to the point where it it isn't very much money to you. That isn't easy, but people seem to do it all the time.
    Last edited by Dogleg; 01-21-2009 at 12:13 PM.
    Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "over .40". Coincidence? I don't think so.

Thanks for all the favorable comments, I am surprised and very pleased with the amount of interest that this thread has received. Time permitting I will try and look up some more pictures.

Sadly I can not tell you about the “mad *** charge” and the video that I took, this resulted in the most exhilarating afternoons hunting of my life, I traded a 12 lb rifle for a 2 lb camera and I was on a real high. The details have to remain secret so as not to embarrass a “Great white hunter” which also means the very commendable actions of the others involved remains untold. My lips are sealed, If we were sitting around a camp fire in Africa they might be loosened with liberal amounts of scotch, but until then?

I will be posting our “Plains Game Specials” we have some great offers, please check them out. They start at 7 days hunting in the African Bush Veldt for five great animals for $4,750.00. Please contact me to discuss your requirements. Not an Ellie hunt but still a lot of fun. More details to follow.

Just awsome, I'm gonna start saving. Not sure about the elephants, but the Kudu's & Gemsbok etc... Sound a little more up my allley, maybe Cape Buffalo, but first I need a firearm that can take one down!!!!!
    Durka Durka!!!