Page 1 of 10 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Elephant

Elephant

Botswana - 13th Nov 08

From left to right:
    Modibedi- head tracker, Omkabetse – tracker, Roger Ramajaga – PH, Malebouo – Botswana game scout, Jeff Smith – PH "Unforgettable Safaris", Motlhasedi – tracker and myself.

More to follow.
    Last edited by Mr Wolverine; 11-24-2008 at 01:46 PM.

WOW, that is huge. Good kill.
    NFA member
    Broughton Sports Club member

Running after this very agitated Black Mamba so I could get a better photo for Craig was probable one of the most stupidest things I have ever done! Jeff Smith (my PH) was yelling at me to get back, when I realized I was running to get a better camera angle but not gaining on this fellow, I got the hell out of there. Jeff then proceeded to tell me that “these snakes are really not my friends.” I was extremely stupid and very lucky, I was well aware how bad these are, I got to 15-20 yds from this fellow and was unarmed.

When I returned to Joberg I purchased an excellent little book on “Snakes and snake bite in Southern Africa’, quote: “Danger to man. This is without doubt one of the deadliest snakes in the world. It has large quantities of a very potent venom and the ability to inject a lot of venom in a single bite. Because of its length, it may also bite chest-high.” “The Black Mamba seldom permits a close approach (within 40 meters) if corned or threaded it will gape, exposing the black inner lining of it’s mouth, and will spread a narrow hood while waving the tongue slowly up and down. Any sudden movement at this stage will be met with a series of rapid strikes, often with fatal results."
    Last edited by Mr Wolverine; 11-22-2008 at 10:06 AM.

elephant steak for all
    "I HAVE A STRONG FEELING ABOUT GUN CONTROL. IF THERE'S A GUN AROUND, I WANT TO BE CONTROLLING IT." Clint Eastwood PISS OFF A LIBERAL, BUY A GUN

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mrsmitty's Avatar
    I did not know they allowed elephant hunts anymore. Sweet. What rifle did you use to take it with.

BANNED

Thumbs up Nice Elephant!

^
    |
    Dido to what he said.
    What was the rifle used to take down that massive bull!

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmitty View Post
    I did not know they allowed elephant hunts anymore. Sweet. What rifle did you use to take it with.

I remember reading somewhere that 80 are allowed to be hunted each year.

I also recall reading that there is a sustainable population in the northern region.

Yes, Elephant hunting is available, quantities are limited, but the Elephant population is strong and growing, sadly not enough space for all the Elephants and man. Hopefully we will be able to offer some Elephant hunts for clients next year. It is the ultimate hunting as far as I am concerned, you need to be fairly fit. Elephant are hunted by following the tracks, one day we covered 35 K before running out of water and forced to quit, we were still 1 ½ hours behind him.

I used an old (1903) English double rifle in .470 NE, iron sights, a very traditional rifle for an elephant hunt and ideal for the job. She fires a 500 grain bullet at 2150 fps, the bullet is a Woodleigh solid. I took the shot from 25 paces, kneeling, it was a side brain shot and gave instant results.
    Last edited by Mr Wolverine; 11-22-2008 at 01:29 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Norton's Avatar
    Interesting adventure, well done
    All my best friends are in a gun rack.

Nice shot! I'm happy for you Sir.

I keep telling myself: ''one of these days I'll go to Africa''
    كافر

Page 1 of 10 123456789 ... LastLast