Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Africa

Africa

HUNTING IN AFRICA
    Never has hunting in Africa been more affordable and the experience is unbelievable. I have enjoyed hunting and large rifles all my life and now I can’t understand why I never visited Africa sooner. I was so impressed with my first visit that I have gone into partnership with Coenie Fourie of Hunt African Safari’s so that I can become more involved with the whole African experience. I am fortunate that at my time of life I can now devote some energy into a project for the love of doing it rather than looking first for a financial return.
    Please read on and contact us if you to would like to experience the Magic of Africa.

You bet I am grinning, my first afternoon in Africa. A good Impala Ram, (approx 22 inches) no world record, but a clean one shot kill after a two hour stalk in the African bush, what more could I ask for. My rifle here is an O/U F. Soda in 9.3 x 74R. The Woodleigh 286 gr SP reload at 2,200 fps exceeded all my expectations. Any rifle/cartridge that is good for Canadian Whitetail will, with the right bullets, perform well on African Plains Game. Cost of this Impala Ram, $150.00 the same as a non resident Canadian would pay for a White tail deer in Manitoba.

Waterbuck, I have always considered these to be a much unrated African trophy. It was my privilege to collect this handsome fellow last thing on my first afternoon in Africa, now I was “riding high”. He was to demonstrate to me that African Plains Game is tough. Due to the cows around him I had to hold my shot until he was in the clear and that gave me a difficult quartering away shot, the range was about 90 paces, the shot was taken standing, resting from the sticks. Shot placement was good but he staggered away, a second rd brought him down and he hid in the shoulder high rushes and was still alive when we found him, a final rd in the neck at point blank range was required. This Waterbuck was a good 28 ½ inches, I am extremely proud of him and he is displayed in our show room at Wolverine Supplies.

After having such a successful first day in Africa, I decided to hunt for a trophy Eland Bull. My PH (Professional Hunter) Jeff Smith, advised me that there were some really good bulls on this property and it would be good training for the planned Buffalo hunt for 08. We hunted the Eland in thick Mopani bush for the following four days. I didn’t get a shot at a bull, I did collect a very good Zebra stallion, but every day was a great day. We saw a large variety of game, including a really huge Monitor Lizard, Crocodile, Gemsbok, Eland, Zebra, Giraffe, Wildebeest, Impala, Waterbuck and of course Monkeys and Baboons. I also really enjoyed hunting in shorts instead of the more normal four layers of clothes that is usually required when hunting Whitetail deer in Manitoba in November.
    More to follow, as time permits.

John....Great photos.....I like the idea of Hunting in shorts bit!! as well as being impressed by the incredible variety of game....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer guess_kto's Avatar
    How does Giraffe tastes?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson, 1775.

John, you look as proud as a teenager with his first whitetail. Congrats!
    Great photos.

great pics, something i hope to do one day. any more game shots to post?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Teapot's Avatar
    Hamilton, Ontario; the southern shore of Canada.
    South Africa or Zim?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bill c68's Avatar
    Curious...

After the hunt is all over, can you bring some of the meat home? I know you would never bring 3-4-5 whole animals home but lets's 150 lbs of assorted meats, can it be done? and can it be done easily?

I won't be doing anything like this for many years to come but someday... someday.. or i will win the lottery and do it sooner.

CGN frequent flyer casterpollox's Avatar
    Great story but you should put this in the hunting forum so more people can have a peak at your great experience.

Congrats!

Thanks for sharing your pictures and experience.

Can you comment a bit on where (and when) the hunt took place?

Thanks for all the favorable comments, I have access to a ton of photos from two trips to South Africa, I will keep adding to this as time permits. I want to include scenic views and camp life as well as trophies along with details of expenses, rifles and ammo used etc.
    Hunting Plains Game in Africa does not have to be expensive, certainly not cheap, but with a little planning affordable for most. Coenie and I will be very pleased to work out an attractable package price for you to hunt in Africa, especially for an enthusiastic group travelling there for the first time.
    My first trip (pictures above) was “organized” at the last minute, I joined a small group with Coenie, dates had already been set, I had to come home early for a business meeting so I only hunted for 5 full days, total cost was $7,000.00, and I could have hunted for 7 or 10 days for only a few hundred dollars more. I will elaborate on costs later. Taxidermy and shipping costs for trophies not included.
    It is normal while in camp to sample any of the game shot. The tenderloin from the Impale was terrific, on my last trip we feasted on Springbuck, Gemsbok and Eland, all were great. It is not possible to bring meat home due to health regulations. No I haven’t tasted Giraffe, I am told it is good, I have no desire to hunt Giraffe, they look fantastic, and it is quite the experience to hear them gallop away in the bush. Trophies have to be prepared to strict Government standards to insure that no pests or animal diseases are inadvertently brought here. As a minimum, trophies have to “Skinned and dipped” before shipping or they can be fully mounted before shipping.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast