Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First visit- Good job, guys!!!!

First visit- Good job, guys!!!!

Today was my very first visit to any shooting range ever. We're new to ranges, but not to shooting. My wife, Father-in-Law, and I spent a couple of hours in the pistol range shooting our new 870 shotgun and sighting in the new Bushnell on our 10/22. The FIL opted for the 9mm Taurus and 100 rounds.

Your staff were professional and courteous. Our Range Officer was very friendly and willing to answer questions. I've never used a handgun before, and your RO was patient and more than willing to give me some pointers to help me improve my shooting. IMHO, this guy went above and beyond. I'm sorry that I didn't get his name.

At no time did any member of our party feel intimidated or out-of-place, and I attribute that to the structured yet relaxed surroundings at your range. For that I thank you. My only "complaint", if you could call it that, is that you don't have a rate for people who bring in their own firearms and ammo(and don't need the supervision of a RO). I would be more inclined to return if guys like me with their own firearms/ammo got a slightly discounted drop-in fee.

Anyhow, I thought I should give you some feedback. Thanks for the awesome afternoon!!!!:D

Paul

CGN Ultra frequent flyer smak_daddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Can Can View Post
    For that I thank you. My only "complaint", if you could call it that, is that you don't have a rate for people who bring in their own firearms and ammo(and don't need the supervision of a RO). I would be more inclined to return if guys like me with their own firearms/ammo got a slightly discounted drop-in fee.
    Paul
    Buy a membership.

I agree. its a great place to shoot.
    "Praise the lord and pass the ammunition" -- Natalie Maines

BANNED
    If you plan to shoot there more than 10 times in a year - the membership is well worth it.

Plus you get discounts on guests if you do.

Unfortunately, it's a 45 minute drive from Cochrane when the traffic is good, so I don't find myself in that corner of the city too often. I honestly don't think I would be able to take advantage of an annual membership.

I'm not really that upset about the cost- it's not unreasonable and doesn't come with a time limit. I also realize the Shooting Edge has a LOT of overhead to cover- my wife runs her own business in Crowfoot and I completely understand the whole "small business" thing.

That being said, I just wanted to let the guys know what was on my mind.

Paul

I am pretty sure you can pay the day fee and you can shoot your own.

whoops i seen it was march 1st but didnt notice the date

Quote Originally Posted by smak_daddy View Post
    Buy a membership.

I disagree. $600 for a membership is just more than I can afford, ever. I really don't know where all the gunnutz work in order to be able to afford that.

For me and my wife to come for two hours of shooting, it costs $80, with our own guns and ammo. No one spends an entire "day" shooting at the range, so the concept of the "day pass" is a little inaccurate.

$600/$80 is equivalent to coming in about once every 7 weeks per year. We don't come in that often. And we can't come in that much because 1) we can't afford the $80, 2) we can't afford the $600, 3) we can't afford the amount of ammo we'd shoot coming in more often to make it worth it, 4) we won't skip shooting for over a year to save the $600 to finally get a membership for one year which we won't use to its full potential 5) it doubles or triples the cost of reloading my brass.

If a pass for two hours of shooting was $20 or $25 per person, that'd be fine, and we'd come in more often then. I would think you'd attract more people too.
    I also think a membership of $350 would be fine, without any ammo price privileges or something.

Anyway, I've been waiting all winter for the snow to clear so that I can go back out to the free range at Homestead, because I just can not afford shooting 200-300 rounds of ammo for reloading at $80 which therefore more than doubles the cost of my reload brass. I'd have to shoot over 1000 rounds per visit to make reloading my brass shot at TSE to be worth it.

Flame away if you want about coughing up the money...we really can't afford it. We share one car, live in a small condo, and eat cheap food, and there's just no money left. Although, I guess I have been able to pay for my guns and reloading equipment. But that was with a small amount of bonus money which no longer exists or will be forthcoming.

The $600 membership leaves it open only to the nuttiest of gunnutz, who shoot upwards or greater than 10,000 rds per year. Now maybe that's the POINT, which is fine. If that's a model that works then that's good for business, and I support that.
    But I think there's likely lots of people like me who love shooting too, but shoot only around ~1000-2000 rds per year, in batches of ~200 rds at a time.

But anyway, I do love the TSE, the people there really are great, I agree, especially the owner guy who's a lot of fun. And it's a great facility too with lots of recent improvements.

People will always complain about the price of anything, even if it was free, so I apologize for contributing to that

Quote Originally Posted by ccwcanada View Post
    I disagree. $600 for a membership is just more than I can afford, ever. I really don't know where all the gunnutz work in order to be able to afford that.

For me and my wife to come for two hours of shooting, it costs $80, with our own guns and ammo. No one spends an entire "day" shooting at the range, so the concept of the "day pass" is a little inaccurate.

$600/$80 is equivalent to coming in about once every 7 weeks per year. We don't come in that often. And we can't come in that much because 1) we can't afford the $80, 2) we can't afford the $600, 3) we can't afford the amount of ammo we'd shoot coming in more often to make it worth it, 4) we won't skip shooting for over a year to save the $600 to finally get a membership for one year which we won't use to its full potential 5) it doubles or triples the cost of reloading my brass.

If a pass for two hours of shooting was $20 or $25 per person, that'd be fine, and we'd come in more often then. I would think you'd attract more people too.
    I also think a membership of $350 would be fine, without any ammo price privileges or something.

Anyway, I've been waiting all winter for the snow to clear so that I can go back out to the free range at Homestead, because I just can not afford shooting 200-300 rounds of ammo for reloading at $80 which therefore more than doubles the cost of my reload brass. I'd have to shoot over 1000 rounds per visit to make reloading my brass shot at TSE to be worth it.

Flame away if you want about coughing up the money...we really can't afford it. We share one car, live in a small condo, and eat cheap food, and there's just no money left. Although, I guess I have been able to pay for my guns and reloading equipment. But that was with a small amount of bonus money which no longer exists or will be forthcoming.

The $600 membership leaves it open only to the nuttiest of gunnutz, who shoot upwards or greater than 10,000 rds per year. Now maybe that's the POINT, which is fine. If that's a model that works then that's good for business, and I support that.
    But I think there's likely lots of people like me who love shooting too, but shoot only around ~1000-2000 rds per year, in batches of ~200 rds at a time.

But anyway, I do love the TSE, the people there really are great, I agree, especially the owner guy who's a lot of fun. And it's a great facility too with lots of recent improvements.

People will always complain about the price of anything, even if it was free, so I apologize for contributing to that
    Ur right about the free part.I think U have the wrong idea about members paying whatever for a membership in a gun club.It takes a lot of money in this day and age to run a small buisness.One thing is Liabilty Insurance alone is enough to make most people want to throw in the towel for running a range.There are cost,ranges have to meet government regulations and have them approved and sometimes they are costs to do this.If U love the sport like U say U do membership shouldn't be a problem,and if a day here and there is all U can afford,Ur not alone in Ur misery.Also if U belong to a Gun Club thats another vote for the pro gun.I'm sure if I'm not right in what I'm saying then someone will correct me for sure.Glad to hear U reload.It can be a lot of fun.

600 bucks a year I think it's well worth it..... It's 600 bucks work it out thats less then 60 bucks a month. If you smoke or drink at all then you CAN afford the membership. It blows me away how people say they can't afford stuff but can always have the full cable, big flat tv, the PPV's the drinks and smokes. Not starting a rant!!!!! I guess I am lucky to be able to afford the things I want now but I also went to school and sacrificed alot when I was 18 and 4 years later and making a 6 figure income was woth it. I am now 32 and very lucky I can afford these things, I know we all are not rich but remember the day pass covers the staff to help you, insurance, rental of the guns, building to shoot in, ect. I know it's not a day long event but they have to cover the costs also why would a business go into business if they knew they wern't going to make money. You say you would rather shoot for free at Homestead but I have to dissagree here, you still have to drive out, pay fuel, pay for the maintance of the car ect.... Plus there is absolutly no controll at homestead I've seen too many times there guys just walking out onto the range assuming everybody will just stop shooting or people are reloading their guns whil others are down range changing targets. I'm sorry but I don't care if its free out there but I am willing to spend money on a 40 dollar day pass where at least there is controll with every person in the range. experinced or not.
    Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by ccwcanada View Post

Dude you can't shoot handgun at homestead. You should read the rules no handguns or restricted guns allowed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast