Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gunsmith Schools

Not in canada ,but I heard that there is free tuition if you want to learn gunsmithing in Ferlach Austria.It probably helps to spreken zie Deutsch.
    "Life is life and fun is fun,but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."
    Bror Blixen

It's easier to learn German than a lot of languages… Now if you could learn Chinese, go to China and become a Norinco certified gunsmith you'd have lots to work on lol.

If your not going to run a full time shop, why not focus on one aspect or another of it? learn to make stocks, or specialize in revolvers, ect.

Gunsmith courses in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by longshot38 View Post
    Does anyone have a link for the online courses?

thanks
    dean

Here they are: Canadian gunsmith courses (as of April 1st, 2014):

http://www.icslearn.ca/firearms/index.html
    http://www.pcdi.ca/courses/2v/
    http://canadiancareertraining.com/gu...education.html

Cheers

JM

Oh and btw... the gunsmith course offered in Quebec will no longer be as of 2015. Confirmed by a phone call at the school board of des Hauts-Bois-de-l'Outaouais, in Maniwaki!
    Last edited by icemanwpg; 04-01-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by longshot38 View Post
    anyone else care to weigh in on this one? im just thinking about for my own use and as a parttime gig to keep the skills alive so to speak.

dean
    I did one of the mail order courses a few years ago, just for fun. I enjoyed it, and I learned a lot, however I would not trust my guns to someone that just did this course. It’s a good way to start, but it’s all about practice. For example, you can read about stock fitting and finishing, and you can get 100% on the test by correctly answering the questions. This does not mean that you actually picked up a piece of wood and did any work on it. The course did not grade at any practical work that was done. The real expertise is what you learn (or didn’t learn) from the exercises, which are not graded.

My first advice would be to send back the slips asking for more information. Once this is done ignore them for about three months. They will keep coming back with lower and lower offers trying to hook you in.
    “Gun control is the only kind of policy that we have where the proponents of it will point to it's utter failure as evidence that we need even more of it!" - JNG

I guess it is a few years ago now but SAIT in Calgary was offering a gunsmithing course in the evenings. Don't remember the fellas name (he collected Cooey rimfires) who run he program but you basically got to run the lathes and mills under the supervision of an experienced machinist. To be a gunsmith takes a lot more than being able to be a good machinist but I always hoped to get he chance to rebarrel a hunting rifle.

They sometimes had a table at the big Calgary gun show.

Any Calgary folks know if it is still ongoing?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kennymo's Avatar
    You might consider asking any local smiths if they want a free hand some evenings. Maybe sweep floors and other menial tasks in exchange for a little knowledge. I looked into some of the correspondance courses, but don't see a heckuva lot of value to them. They might be somewhat beneficial if you're a person who can pick things up through reading, but in that case you may as well save a few bucks and just buy the books.
    Look around, there might be a hobby machinist's evening or weekend course available to boost your skills. I find myself wanting to get a little more involved than mounting a scope or bedding an action too, but there's a sharp learning curve for some things. Buying guns that need TLC is helping a bit...

SAIT had one, but last time I checked it got dropped from the course list
    "In a free society, we shouldn't need permission to do whatever we want."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveBillionAcres View Post
    Now if you could learn Chinese, go to China and become a Norinco certified gunsmith you'd have lots to work on lol.
    I can just see it...

"So, I finished that re-crowning job for you. Also, while I was working on it I fixed up the trigger, no charge."
    "What? There was nothing wrong with the trigger."
    "Right. That's not the Norinco way. It should be properly crunchy now."
    Warning: Please be advised that the above post may contain sarcasm, irony, and/or figurative language.

Nothing in this post constitutes legal advice. I am not your counsel or legal representative.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast