Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gunsmith Schools

Gunsmith Schools

Anyone know of any firearms repair, gunsmith schools, located in western Canada,,all I've come up with so far is one in Montreal. Thanks in advance for your help.

As advertised, the one in Quebec is IT.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Baribal's Avatar
    Actualy it's not in Montreal, but in Maniwaki (close to Mont-Laurier, about 285 km from Montreal). Nice place for someone who like the outdoors and very good deer hunting.

htt p://www.armurerie.ca/
    Baribal ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baribal

Coagula / Solve - No God Nor Master

I spoke with a licensed gunsmith in the GTA and he said he did a online coarse from the US.
    Ont. does not have a standard for a qualified gunsmith.
    You just need to apply for the Lic. pass the storage inspection and have Ins.
    Bang!! your a gunsmith!!

I never had a use for a gunsmith. I have my four pounder and wedges...i'm good to go.

I suspect the long term career options are limited and there are a lot of people who want to work with firearms and not a lot of positions in the industry. Most of the gunsmiths I've come across, it's more of a spare time job because there simply isn't enough work. Not to mention people are doing less real custom work than they used to and guns are pretty reliable these days. Also there is the specter of banning guns ending your career.

These guy's videos aren't terrible:
    http://www.americangunsmith.com/

Not sure about the other provinces but in NS gunsmithing is an apprenticed trade (as is locksmithing) with all that that entails to get started on your own.

does anyone have a link for the online courses?

thanks
    dean
    Guns are part of our Cultural Heritage. Please respect our diversity!!

As stated by my (then) 10yr old son, banning guns is stupid, whats next banning rocks?

BANNED
    "...the online courses?..." Don't waste your time and money. You can't learn to be a smithy from an on-line course. There's far too much involved that absolutely requires hands on training.
    "...long term career options..." Right. Jobs are very few and far between in Canada. Especially entry level. Not much better Stateside. Low pay to start, if you do find a job. Nobody wants inexperienced people, in anything, anyway. Few shooters will patronize a new smithy who opens his own shop either.

anyone else care to weigh in on this one? im just thinking about for my own use and as a parttime gig to keep the skills alive so to speak.

dean
    Guns are part of our Cultural Heritage. Please respect our diversity!!

As stated by my (then) 10yr old son, banning guns is stupid, whats next banning rocks?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast