Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chaparral rifle question

Chaparral rifle question

Hello,

How would you rate a Chaparral model 1873 in comparison to a Uberti? They are a lot less money. Is the main difference the stock wood? Thanks

Expired Business
    Good day;
    Well now, the Chaparral 1873 is made for a number of house brands for sale in the USA.... It is excelelnt quality, of course you have our warranty to fall back on should the need arise....

One of the biggest differences is the fact that we buy from the factory and sell to you the customer.... Uberti goes through several hands before you see it

Thank you for your interest
    John

Thanks John. They do look like great products and I am glad you have them available.

I've recently picked up a Chaparral 1873 in .357 mag, I got it from a fellow who bought from milarm then got the Uberti bug and sold the 1873 without using it. The rifle was from 2008 and I tracked it back to Milarm.

Long story short, I took it out the fire it weds for the first time and the Headspace was way out. It actually blew a .357mag case clean in half inside the chamber ( American Eagle factory ammo ) and the front half of the case is still jammed in there. I'm wondering if this will be covered by the manufacturer, my gunsmith at ISG here in Van tells me that it's not safe to fire even if it's cleared properly due to the headspacing. Since I'm the second owner I understand that it's not covered by Marstar but it's my understanding that you're the only importer for this brand in Canada and I'd like to get ahold of someone at Chaparral. This is a serious safety issue and I have wondered if there was a bad batch that may have been released. If someone from Marstar can PM me I'd appreciate it. I'm aware this isn't due to any wrong doing on Marstars part but like I said it's a pretty serious issue when a rifle blows a round all to hell inside of 10 rounds.

Thx

Mike

Expired Business
    MEO1981;
    Well now, my distant viewing abilities are very limited, ship the rifle in to us for inspection....

1) We have sold some very large numbers of these rifles, very minor problems....

2) We have NEVER experienced "headspacing" issues, I have to wonder what was done to the rifle, after all this cartridge headspaces on the rim....

Send it to my personal attention, please include any blown cases, I will report back to you
    John

Much appreciated John, I'll send it with the back half of the case (front half is still in the gun) along with the half dozen .357 casings that were fired, all show signs of bulging out about 3-4mm from the base of the case. Can you provide me with shipping info at your convenience.

I may be wrong in calling it headspacing. I'm no gunsmith and don't reload. The rifle had just had a Tang sight put on at Italian Sporting Goods in Van and the gunsmith noted that it hadn't really been used when I picked it up the day of the failure. The fellow I bought it from had indicated that 10 rounds were fired into a firing bay and then it was stored. I can't imagine anything was "done" to the rifle and the rest of the ammo box the rounds came from was put through my win92 without issue right after the failure.

Thx again

Mike

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Claven2's Avatar
    Sounds to me like the it's the chamber diameter. Are you sure it's not in .38-40?
    Keeping it real on the range since before there was a CGN.

Hey John, not to hi-jack but what is the ETA for the Chiappa 1886's and approximate price? Thanks

Expired Business
    CLAVEN2;
    Its not a .38/40, a .357 would NOT even fit, it would flop around in the "chamber"

Besides they are NOT making any firearms at all in the .38/40 chambering
    John

Expired Business
    RE 1886s;

We have not reached a new agreement with Chiappa as yet.... Stay tuned

John

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast