Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Isandlwana - Zulu dawn

BANNED
    Edited for inappropriate comments.
    Last edited by Morpheus32; 09-01-2009 at 11:53 PM.

Chise you should pick up a history book. I wonder how long after the battles did the British realize that keeping thier ammo both stored seperately from their troops while camped and putting it in sealed tin crates without easy access helped facilitate thier defeat by the Zulu horde.

Great pics

Hats off Mr Wolverine for the history lesson!!
    The only touching thing I have is my grandfathers 303 brit, when he served in the Airforce in the 2nd WW.
    Awesome!
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    Remember, it's not what you did once, but what you can do on demand that counts. Fr. Frog
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    Isandlwana

Some views from the battlefield. I was surprised how undulating the ground was and how large an area the British were spread over before the battle started. Not only were the British up against the finest Light Infantry the world has ever seen, they were simply “out generaled” before the battle started.
    The finest light infantry the world has ever seen? Ah, no.

It's amazing what you can get people to do though, if they believe their shamans have made them invulnerable to the enemy's weapons with some super-de-duper magic.

Oh, and the instant mass death penalty for failure helps motivate people too I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by USP View Post
    Chise you should pick up a history book. I wonder how long after the battles did the British realize that keeping thier ammo both stored seperately from their troops while camped and putting it in sealed tin crates without easy access helped facilitate thier defeat by the Zulu horde.

Great pics
    Later that same afternoon Lt Chard and Lt Bromhead organized the successful defense of Rorkes Drift (See the movie Zulu) they chose to stand and fight behind hastily prepared defensive positions and their ammo crates were open. It is estimated they started with 20,000 rds, when the Zulu left they had about 600 rds left!

Quote Originally Posted by RRCo. View Post
    The finest light infantry the world has ever seen? Ah, no.

It's amazing what you can get people to do though, if they believe their shamans have made them invulnerable to the enemy's weapons with some super-de-duper magic.

Oh, and the instant mass death penalty for failure helps motivate people too I hear.
    After I had written that statement I realized I should have modified it to the effect that the Zulu, “In my opinion” were among the finest light Infantry the world has ever seen.

Your comments about “motivation” are very true. The Zulu discipline was brutally enforced but that was not unique to them, in many armies discipline was harsh to the extreme and included the death penalty, admittedly in most armies you did not get your skull crushed with a knobkerrie if you dropped out of a battle fitness run.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 00Buck's Avatar
    Excellent post. Thanks for the pictures.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Hokus Grey's Avatar
    Wow, a piece of history that many do not know of these days. Thanks for the pictures and the write up.

Like NavyShooter said, walking across the fields at Vimy Ridge and through the tunnels and trenches that remain, is an experience one does not soon forget.

So many have given their lives for the world to be what it is today, for good or ill. Our grandfathers fought in a terrible war for the freedoms we have now and for the profit and power of other men they never met. If we do not look to the past and learn, we are destined to fail in the same ways.

There are so many stories like this one that need to be passed to the younger generations.
    #BeLoveCreateProtect

How was the firearms market out in South Africa? Firesale prices being offered as an alternative to destruction?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gibbs505's Avatar
    Thanks indeed!!
    So I can't spell, so what!!!
    Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
    Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!
    Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast