Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 810111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated with Gun Club Experience

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by rboomsma View Post
    Your comment is uncalled for, your just the type of person we don't need at gun clubs.

First impressions are important. Gun clubs should be open and welcoming to new shooters and potential members. With the anti gun movement in our country the last thing we need is bone head remarks like yours.
    Lol i was going down that thread reading posts and saw the post that you quoted.
    Funny how in a normal thread where peoples are just exchanging ideas and opinions there's always one of those out of no where like a stain on a white sheet that makes you go WTF!
    I always wondered what made those peoples so...what they are, what happened to them to blurt out such negativity, why do they feel they have to step and twist on someone's ideas or comments, what do they get out of it? Attention maybe?

BANNED
    There are rectal orifi everywhere. Don't let 'em discourage you, especially a 'caretaker'. He doesn't decide anything or really represent the members. In any case, join the club that has the facilities and activites you want and don't worry about the rest.

I live in south central Ab. And have heard the same sort of things about many of the clubs around here so figuring that I had no interest in dealing with attitudes as well as the Gestapo (Ab CFO office) whenever I wanted to enjoy the sport, I have focused on purchasing nothing but NR Firearms and finding (many) places in the back country to enjoy my new pastime without all the hassle. I am very glad I did. Something to think about.

I belong to a club in Alberta which I fully enjoy and the only place I can shoot my handgun. Great people no issues. However I would love to shoot some of my n/r in the back country such as you. If you care to share your secret spots I am all ears...

Quote Originally Posted by silver69 View Post
    I live in south central Ab. And have heard the same sort of things about many of the clubs around here so figuring that I had no interest in dealing with attitudes as well as the Gestapo (Ab CFO office) whenever I wanted to enjoy the sport, I have focused on purchasing nothing but NR Firearms and finding (many) places in the back country to enjoy my new pastime without all the hassle. I am very glad I did. Something to think about.
    Same here. I’ve given up on chasing gun clubs around the block to try and get a membership, instead I just take my hunting licence along with my pal and my non-restricted rifles and/or shotguns and head out into the woods. You can even make a weekend camping trip out of it.

Trying to get Gun Club experience too!

Yes, "trying to get Gun Club experience!

I got my PAL this Feb., and bought a Glock17 Gen4, and a Berreta 96fs .40 calibre soon after. I first went shooting with a colleague at Target Sports Cda. with no restrictions—9mm to .50 calibre FMJ to .223 tactical rifles. Only downside is the distance and a $700 membership fee. The Club I'm trying to belong to is 2.7km and 7min. from my house (the only inner-city gun club in Toronto. However, you have to qualify on a 22 first, along with a probation of 10 sessions at the range. I don't have a 22, and don't want one! You can only use Standard Velocity, and only lead-nose ammo. Because I'm an "Older-Boy" my fee for the year is half price—$80, plus the obligatory $45 to the CSSA.

The crotchety Ole-Boy Range Officer reluctantly accepted my low-ass .22 ammo (CCI Quiet Noise @ 710 fps), cause there's a hoarding shortage of Standard Velocity .22s @ 1050fps (really no money in making them). So, the Club is made up of sundry others, and two guys with canes, one guy on crutches, one guy with a walker, one guy at least 90 (who doesn't talk), and the prez, who I call "General Rommel"—the others I've named "Citizen Cane" and his twin "TuCane," "Crutches," "Walker," and "In A Silent Way."

This Toronto Revolver Club has other clubs affiliated with it different nights of the week. I did kinda poorly on the in-house written test; I only got 83%, but passed with an explanation and a figurative slap on the wrist. Went blank on a couple of the questions which would have put me at 90%, their pass mark. Even the PAL was easier than their BS (one stupid-ass trick question and questions that are not even covered on your FAC (Firearm Course). I even told the ole-boy that the wording on the questions wasn't right. But like my question about what kind of ammo I could use, I might as well been talking to a paper Zombie. Then you have to qualify with a score of 60 on a 6" target, a block away with .22 Cowboy six-shooter or a WW2 pistol. It wasn't about an ATT either, but I would esp. now like it for invites to other ranges too.

BANNED
    To me I think you should find another range,don't like it know wont like it later. You might not be the members they are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Let me get this straight, club #1's caretaker gives you some attitude so you decide to pass on the club? (You're going to judge an entire club on the actions of one person in one conversation on one day? You've never had a bad day and treated a stranger rudely, huh?) And club #2, filled to capacity but with an out-dated website, passes on your membership in much the same way that you've passed on membership in club #1, so you feel unwelcome in the sport? Is that it? The reception wasn't as warm as the one you got at your country club interview, I guess.

It sounds to me as though you're accustomed to being treated as a Prince. The thing is, we're not used to being around royalty, see? So perhaps our manners are a bit common. Sorry.

How about giving club #1 another chance.
    I tend to react the same way as the op, when confronted with IGNORANCE i walk away... i would give Mission a try not perfect but overall it's a good place (especially if you go during weekdays in the a.m). GOOD LUCK

if a gun club is nearby and convenient to visit, i tend to find that I spend more cash on burning the ammo cans... so close to your home is not #1 priority. affordable driving distance is ok. I am in ontario, good club is not easy to find/join neither. good luck to shooters that are still looking for a club to join. in the mean time, just pay attention to the club notices/website, ask a few friends who are already in the club for some inside news, or just get a hunting license so you can go for a hunting trip while practicing shooting skills in the wild. of course, you need to do all these when you have done plenty safety drills.

all in all, shooting sport is a dying sport, not as fancy as hockey/football/basketball... but don't give up on it just because you can not find a club, most people I know playing soccer without a club at all. still tons of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ybruce View Post
    all in all, shooting sport is a dying sport ...
    Rubbish. My own club has multiplied its membership several times over in recent years, and now offers more variety of shooting disciplines and activities than ever before. And I would say the latter is true of the shooting sports generally.
    "There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices. To be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy, and the frightened, thoughtless search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own ..." - The Twilight Zone