Page 1 of 25 1234567891121 ... LastLast

Thread: Frustrated with Gun Club Experience

Frustrated with Gun Club Experience

Hi All, I apologize for the long read.

Recently I've decided to take up shooting with a friend of mine. I've been interested in firearms for years and finally decided to take the plunge, and I received my PAL and RPAL in the mail a couple of weeks ago. Before I buy a handgun, I decided I would scout out some of the ranges in my area, and I've run into some pretty disturbing scenarios.

First, a little background on me. I'm in my late 20's with a young family. I have a good white collar job and live in the Langley area. I've set my sights on purchasing a .22 handgun in order to learn the ropes, and then I'd like to move up to larger calibers if I enjoy the sport. My main goals are to have some fun, meet some great, like-minded people, and develop my shooting skills. The club should have a good pistol range, decent hours, and preferably have an indoor shooting area for winter.

So far, I've had exactly zero luck finding a good club to join, so much so that it's actually made me question whether I want to be a part of the sport.

My first candidate for membership was my local club, the Langley Rod & Gun club. When I went in to check the place out, it was made pretty clear by the caretaker that I was a waste of his time, and he didn't care whether I became a member or not. His demeanor was downright rude, and definitely didn't give me the feeling that I would be welcomed as a new member. Between his one word answers and constant stink-eye, he made me uncomfortable enough to finally leave without asking any further questions.

Next, I decided to head on out to Ridgedale, a club that has got good reviews by members on the board here. I read on their website that they would be accepting new applications for membership tonight at their monthly meeting, so myself and my friend made the 50min trip to the club and settled in. Everyone in the crowd seemed friendly, and they were talking amongst one another. No one gave us the stink-eye, so the club already had a leg up on Langley.

But, we don't get there but 10 minutes before someone (I'm assuming the club chair, but I'm not sure) announces they're not taking any more members, and anyone who wasn't from Mission or Abbotsford would have to be on a waiting list. The only way to get off the waiting list was for "someone ahead of you to get turfed out of the club".

Let me get this straight - here we have a dying sport that is lacking new blood, and two beginners are basically told "we don't want you"? What kind of club doesn't want new, paying, worthwhile members? I'm not joining just for my ATT for petesakes, I'm there to become a member of the community, and make the club a better, more fun place to be. My background in marketing and history of volunteer work don't make me valuable to the club, and the sport as a whole? This doesn't even address the fact that I have two children who I would eventually introduce the sport to, thus increasing membership.

After two clubs and no luck I've started to question whether gun clubs even want new members. Is this a hobby where I'll be welcomed and feel like a member, or is it simply an old-boys club and new faces aren't wanted?

I guess my main question is, is this what all clubs are like? Are you made to feel like a 2nd class citizen until you put in enough time in waiting that someone finally acknowledges you're a worthwhile part of the club? If that's the case, forget it, I'll just join another hockey team where the locker room atmosphere is a lot more friendly and fun. What are other people's experiences?
    Last edited by srv2miker; 09-09-2009 at 01:51 AM.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I'm in Bantario, and my experience was the direct opposite. I belong to Lower Trent Fish and Game Club. When I joined, the prez met me in person to show me around. We shot a round of sporting clays with his o/u's and his shells while we discussed volunteer opportunities. Absolute great experience, and it should be.

My only advice would be to look for a member of your local club, and have them show you around and introduce you. Maybe your intentions will seem more genuine if a member backs you up. I'm sure, in fact I guarantee that there is a member on here from your local club. Hopefully someone sees this and hooks you up.

Good Luck, and don't give up!!

I too am sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I recently joined my local club (Chilliwack Fish and Game Protective Association) and have had nothing but great experiences so far and have met nothing but friendly, helpful people!

I tend to be a pretty outgoing person, but in situations where I know absolutely NO one I get a little nervous...but it didn't take long for me to start chatting up some of the members and learn that they are all really great people. And they're all there for the same thing, to have fun and enjoy the shooting sports.

If Chilliwack isn't too far a drive for you, I'd suggest coming up to our club and checking things out. New members are always welcome and Sept 20th there is a big "service day" for photos and stuff for new members, and I'm sure someone would be happy to show you around and give you some info on the club.

Best of luck in finding a club!

Cheers

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Sorry for your experiences with a bunch of snobs. Be sure not to look at anyone the wrong way....or else! (just kidding)

Don't give up, yes, gunowners CAN be a rather closed in bunch (if I didn't like shooting so much I might've joined the antis long ago). Once you "break in" and people get used to seeing you around it'll get MUCH better, beleive me. Yes, there are jerks around(some being pretty high in up the food chain), but that applies everywhere.

If you ever relocate to Edmonton, PM me...I would be happy to show you around the clubs where I'm at!
    Last edited by zupermann; 09-09-2009 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Arrrr...got to get this sh**t out!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dr.Lector's Avatar
    Try Mission if you are ok with "one round at a time". Excellent facilities.
    Try Abby. Try Maple Ridge (TM).
    not sure about indoor winters, though.
    (If you were not married I would have suggested you to
    marry a pure bred Swiss woman,
    that way you could get in the Swiss Club -
    - arguably the best club, but not open to everybody).
    Last edited by Dr.Lector; 09-09-2009 at 03:06 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

Wink

Let me get this straight, club #1's caretaker gives you some attitude so you decide to pass on the club? (You're going to judge an entire club on the actions of one person in one conversation on one day? You've never had a bad day and treated a stranger rudely, huh?) And club #2, filled to capacity but with an out-dated website, passes on your membership in much the same way that you've passed on membership in club #1, so you feel unwelcome in the sport? Is that it? The reception wasn't as warm as the one you got at your country club interview, I guess.

It sounds to me as though you're accustomed to being treated as a Prince. The thing is, we're not used to being around royalty, see? So perhaps our manners are a bit common. Sorry.

How about giving club #1 another chance.

CGN frequent flyer
    Check out Semiahmoo - very friendly. Some limitations though as essentially one night a week and 20 yard handgun & .22 rifle only. $5 drop in, $3 range fee if member, $70/couple IRC http://sfgc.ca/ may want to arrive 15 minutes early to help with setup and ensure you have a slot (people are good about rotating though if full up).

Check out Mission as well (am not much time these days but can always send a PM and welcome to join in). There is a rumoured single shot rule but not seen it yet. Also very friendly (and generally quiet - weekdays am on my own 1/2 the time and if not max of 5 other people there).

DVC has a special on too, something to consider, indoors, well ventilated, movable target holders...

You're not the first person I heard say disparaging things about the Langley club.

Quote Originally Posted by srv2miker View Post
    My first candidate for membership was my local club, the Langley Rod & Gun club. When I went in to check the place out, it was made pretty clear by the caretaker that I was a waste of his time, and he didn't care whether I became a member or not. His demeanor was downright rude, and definitely didn't give me the feeling that I would be welcomed as a new member. Between his one word answers and constant stink-eye, he made me uncomfortable enough to finally leave without asking any further questions.
    :D
    The Langley Rod & Gun club is the CFO designated Ontario training center for Range Nazis.

Stink-eye techniques are a mandatory part of the Range Nazi curriculum for certification.........he was probably just practicing when you came along. :D

Isn't Langley mostly about trap shooting?

I will be looking for an outdoor range in the near future to shoot rifle, at DVC for the time being. I'm in Vancouver, and PoCo (Burke) and Thompson Mountain seem to be the closest ones. Wanstall's in Maple Ridge is pretty much as far I want to venture out.

Haven't heard much about Thompson, any one a member there? Seems like a sizeable range, some construction happening, so it's alive.

Join Mission, has good range for pistol and there is no one shot rule. That is on the rifle range.

They are always accepting new members.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lector View Post
    Try Mission if you are ok with "one round at a time". Excellent facilities.
    Try Abby. Try Maple Ridge (TM).
    not sure about indoor winters, though.
    (If you were not married I would have suggested you to
    marry a pure bred Swiss woman,
    that way you could get in the Swiss Club -
    - arguably the best club, but not open to everybody).
    Ron Boomsma

Page 1 of 25 1234567891121 ... LastLast