Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lakeshore Arms Academy

CGN frequent flyer Dave_Shotgun's Avatar

Lakeshore Arms Academy

Is anyone here a member of Lakeshore Arms Academy? I'm planning on joining this gun club because the indoor range is fairly close to home, so I wouldn't have to drive very far to shoot. They allow shotguns and handguns, but no center-fire rifles. Any good/bad experiences?
    CSSA Member and Teacher in Ontario.

CGN frequent flyer
    Just curious, have you even talked to anybody about joining?

Some years back I tried to join and after finally receiving a call back weeks later I was told that they only shoot one day a week and there was no access to the range outside those hours. It was also required to put in volunteer work cleaning the place and the fees weren't very low.

I too was turned on by the location but the shooting times just didn't cut it. Not enough freedom really. Maybe it has changed now though?

Regardless, I wound up joining Burlington and Silverdale. Don't mind the extra drive for 365 days access.

Burlington will do a lot better but I'm not against any club,silverdale even goooooder

CGN frequent flyer Dave_Shotgun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darko View Post
    Just curious, have you even talked to anybody about joining?

Some years back I tried to join and after finally receiving a call back weeks later I was told that they only shoot one day a week and there was no access to the range outside those hours. It was also required to put in volunteer work cleaning the place and the fees weren't very low.
    Membership fees to Lakeshore Arms is $250 per year which is a little high. They are only open on saturday, but that isn't a problem for me, because I don't plan on shooting very often (I don't care for excessive lead exposure). I wasn't aware of the volunteer work required though. I'm going to sign up for the range safety training and if I'm not satisfied then I'll just quit.
    CSSA Member and Teacher in Ontario.

reviving an old thread here - anyone a member here that can tell me a bit about the cub. I know it's Saturday's only but it's super convenient for me location-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by KidShaleen1 View Post
    reviving an old thread here - anyone a member here that can tell me a bit about the cub. I know it's Saturday's only but it's super convenient for me location-wise.
    I'm curious too. Any feedback out there?
    The only way out is through.

It all depends if you like a club thats open only Saturdays limited hours or a club with 24HR access. If you prefer the latter you wont like Lakeshore. I visited and the guy running the range was pretty friendly but the limited hours dont suit my needs. its very bunker-like so hopefully the ventilation is good.

I'm going to have to check this out on Saturday - it's literally minutes from home. No idea how I hadn't heard of it until just now.
    I've been holding out for Range Burlington, but after waiting for almost 12 months only to be (somewhat rudely) told that my original application was never even processed, has left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Any members able to chime in with any opinions on LAA / The Bunker ?
    NFA & CSSA Member

BANNED
    This post is older than dirt. You probably should have started new. Not to worry though. It's been eons, but that range is where I started, um, 35ish years ago. Originally an out building of Canadian Arsenals. Rumoured to have been a magazine. Not actually anywhere near underground. It's cold in winter. Excessively loud. And unless it has changed(apparently has from the web site. Painted the walls and put in lights), you have to drive through several gates to get it. The poles down the centre of the range were not there 35 years ago.
    Can't say as I like the idea of them having a $100 fee for the club level course plus $300 per annum though.

old or not, it's one of the few reference to LAA on this entire site and I'm glad I found it.
    Update: stopped by the club on saturday morning and got registered as a new member. Everybody was super friendly, there's no waiting list and I'm taking the safety course this coming weekend. Couple that with it being located ~5minutes from home and it's a definite winner. Sure I wish it was as large and well equipped as Galt, but the proximity to home is far and away the biggest selling point for me. Galt and Silverdale chew up and entire day once the drive is factored in.
    NFA & CSSA Member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast