Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Double Rifles & Big Bores

Double Rifles & Big Bores

DOUBLE RIFLE & BIG BORE LIST I will add details to this list time permitting.

C B Vaughan .470 NE

My personal favorite, not for sale.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Merkel 140 – 9.3 x 74R

Features include: Anson & Deeley lock work with cocking indicators. Greener-style cross bolt and double bottom bite. Selective ejectors. Auto safety and double trigger with front set trigger. 24 inch barrels, approx 8 lbs. Fitted Schmidt & Bender 1.1-4 x 24 Zenith FD7 scope in QD Claw mounts.
    POR

Merkel 140 AE SAFARI - .375 H&H

The 140 AE is the latest "Safari" rifle from Merkel featuring Anson & Deeley lock work. Greener-style cross bolt and double bottom bite. Selective ejectors and folding front trigger. 23.5 inch barrels, 10 Lb, folding three leaf express rear sight, brass bead front sight. Fitted Schmidt & Bender 1.1-4 x 24 Zenith FD7 scope in QD Swing mounts. POR

Merkel fitted hard cases
    New cases as supplied by Merkel for use with their double rifles.
    $ 580.00

Chapius .470 NE

Chapius, made in France, these are among the very best of modern manufactured double rifles. Model Brousse, box lock, ejector, double triggers and manual safety in .470 NE. This rifle is ideally set up for “close encounters” with Africa’s dangerous game. Barrels are 600 mm (23.5 inches) and she weights 10.2 lbs. Sold

Antonio Zoli Focus O/U – 9.3 x 74R

Lightweight, short, fast handling O/U rifle. Double trigger, ejectors. QD scope mount with 30 mm rings, up-graded wood and fitted Zoli hard case. Unfired but does show slight handling marks.
    Final price reduction $4,250.00

E. Wilson - .450 BP

English Double Rifle .450 Black Powder by E. Wilson. Under lever action, 28 inch barrels, 9.2 lbs, back action hammer locks. Complete with original leather case. Very good plus condition.
    $12,500.00.

Holland & Holland - .303 British

Holland & Holland .303 British “Dominion” back action side lock non-ejector, 28 inch barrels, some “frosting” in bores but shoots well, 10.8 lbs (with scope) Carl Zeiss Diavari-D 1.5-6 x 40 scope No 1 German reticle in QD claw mounts. Original hard case included (needs repair)
    $35,000.00

Manton & Co .470 NE

Manton & Co. Gunmakers. London & Calcutta by appointment to H.E. The Viceroy. Caliber .470 NE proofed 75 grains Cordite and 500 grain bullet. 28 inch barrel. This rifle has been professional restocked in recent years with a beautifully walnut stock.
    $25,000.00

CZ 550 Magnum – Standard & Safari Rifles

CZ 550 Magnum rifles built on the proven Mauser bolt system these rifles uncountable offer the best value for money. A favorite with African Professional Hunters, these rifles are available in a large selection of proven classic calibers, these include:
    .300 H&H Mag, .375 H&H, .416 Rigby, .458 Win Mag, .458 Lott, .404 Jeffery, .450 Rigby, .500 Jeffery and the .505 Gibbs. Prices start at $1,230.00, contact us for details.

RUGER No 1-H Big Game Rifles

Ruger No 1 Tropical, we have in stock caliber .416 Rigby and .450/.400 Nitro Express, the deceptive barrel is really 24 inches long but with the single shot falling block action the rifles are short and handy with superb balance.
    NEW REDUCED PRICEING $1,099.00 plus shipping and tax.

Mauser M03 Standard .270 Win

Mauser M03 standard model in .270 Win. Features: 24 inch barrel and weights 8.2 lbs. Detachable magazine. Iron sights and sling loops. Like all M03 additional barrels in different calibers can be easily swapped over. This rifle is new and unfired but she has been a display model and shows some very slight handling marks. Mauser QD 30 mm scope mount included. Regular price $3,763..00 we have one only at $2,995.00

Sauer S 202 Take Down Elegance, caliber .270 Win.

Sauer S 202 Take Down Elegance, caliber .270 Win. The S 202 Take Down Elegance perfectly combines matchless technology with the classic elements of a noble hunting rifle and is a class of her own. Features: Blued and polished metal surfaces. Figured walnut stock with hand cut checkering. Luxury wood tip and grip cap. Jeweled bolt. Classically shaped bolt handle. Detachable magazine with polished steel base. 24 inch barrel and weights 8.8 lbs. Not only is this a magnificent looking rifle, but at this extra low price she will be a great investment. Sold

Holland & Holland .375 Flanged Magnum. No 2 model (Dominion) Sidelock extractor with 26 inch barrels. LOP 14.5 inch. Weight 10.8 lb with Swarovski 1.5-4.5 x 20 scope in Talley QD rings. New ivory bead front sight. Bushed strikers, double triggers with manual safety. ¼ rib with 1 standing and 3 folding leaves. Extended top strap over comb, trapdoor grip cap. Appears to be original blue barrels with strong coloured case hardened action. Fitted with new leather covered butt pad. Bores are excellent.

History: Manufactured in 1906 in .375 and sold to Lt Ross, Bombay, India. Letters from Holland & Holland are included. She was later re-chambered and nitro proofed in England for the .375 Flanged magnum. In 2011 I had the barrels re-regulated by JJ Perodeau, gunmaker of Champlain Firearms. Test targets and reloading information will be provided. Reloading dies and 97 brass are included. New fitted hard case.
    Sold

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following are NOT CURRENTLY OFFERED
    ~ SHOWN FOR VIEWING PLEASURE ONLY ~
    18th March 2011, correction, the Rogers Rock 8 Bore is now for sale, if interested please contact me: John@wolverinesupplies.com

Rogers Rock & Co 8 Bore double barreled big game rifle
    Thomas Jackson, London 10 Bore Pin Fire double barreled rifle
    "recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant", as the Maharajah of Cooch Behar was once heard to remark!

Army & Navy -.470 NE

Army & Navy C.S.L. .470 NE proofed 75 grains Cordite and 500 grain bullet. Top lever, rebounding back action, hammer rifle. 28 inch barrels, rifling is sharp, bores are lightly frosted, 11.2 lbs. New firing pins and replacement bushings just fitted. Two folding leaf express sight, full rib. This rifle was manufactured by Osborne for the Army & Navy CSL at a cost of 22.0.0 GBP. On the 3rd Feb 1910 they sold her to Lt Col H.C. Bernard. In 1916 whilst serving with the 36th (Ulster) Division, Col Bernard (disobeying orders) led his men in an attack on German positions and was killed.

The Army and Navy Co-operative Society Ltd was formed in 1871 by a group of army and navy officers. It was their intention to supply “articles of domestic consumption and general use to its members at the lowest numerative rates”. The first store opened on 15 Feb 1872 at Victoria Street, London. At the end of 1873 a gun department was established. By the end of the century the Society was issuing an enormous annual illustrated price list, had introduced telephone ordering and mail order.

Mauser 9.3 x 64

Not a double rifle, but this old girl came back from Africa, I often wonder what tales she could tell.

Due to the interest, I have added some more pictures of the “old Mauser” She has a 26 inch barrel a dry weight of 7.2 lbs and balances and handles superbly. She came to Canada in a pallet load of surplus military firearms. She is not for sale, I sold her once and was very fortunate to reclaim her. If I wasn’t a “lefty” I would have to take her back to Africa to give her one last hunt.

A pair of African classic bolt actions. The Mauser 9.3 with a 1903 Steyr Mannlicher 6.5 carbine. The Mannlicher has an 18 inch barrel and a dry weight of 6.6 lbs.

KRIEGHOFF Classic Big Five

Caliber: .470 NE also available in .375 H&H, .375 Fl. Mag, .500/.416 NE and .500 NE.

Barrel Length: 24"

Finish Type: Blued Metal Work, Stainless Receiver w/ Detailed Engraving and Wood Fore Grip and Stock

Sight Type: Fixed Rifle Sights

Safety Type: Uses a manual cocking device. For info please read the paragraph at the end.

Magazine Capacity: 2 Rounds Chambered

Included Accessories: Comes with hard Carrying Case lined with blue velvet interior for extra protection and soft case.

The Combi-Cocking Device - The speed advantage of self-cocking
    With most manual cocking devices, the gun must be recocked each time it is reloaded, which could cost critical seconds in some hunting situations. Krieghoff's combi-cocking device combines the safety advantages of manual cocking with the speed advantage of a self-cocking gun.When a gun equipped with the combi-cocking device is fired and the cocking device is left in the forward position, the gun cocks automatically when it is opened and reloaded. It is then ready to fire again. With the cocking device in its rear, safe position, the gun is uncocked and remains uncocked regardless of opening and closing.

PRICE: $12,795.00

(Note: List Price does not include Shipping & Tax)

For more information, please contact Wolverine Supplies:

Phone: (204) 748-2454

Fax: (204) 748-1805

Email: sales@wolverinesupplies.com

More pictures on my C B Vaughan double rifle. She is a plain "working grade" box lock, non ejector in .470 NE. I was having problems finding a good rifle that was in my price range when my wife found this one on the Internet for me. That has to be a good omen. The rifle has 26 inch barrels, she is a shade heavy at nearly 12 lbs but that makes her a delight to shoot. I have fired over 400 rds through her in the last two years and have absolute confidence in her. Here she is, doing what she was built for, hunting Ellie in Africa.

I have put most of these scars here, there is a tale behind all of them. This rifle works hard in Africa, pushing through thorns and scrabbling over rocks is tough on her.

The express sights, I have to admitt that they look "cool" but in reality they have no place on a rifle used for dangerous game hunting. There is always the chance that they will get knocked up when you do not want them up. I really should lock-tite them down or put a pieace of black tape over them.

The business end. I shoot reloads, 500 grain Woodleigh SP or solids in Jamison brass, I use IMR 4831 with a foam filler wad and they "chrony" at just under 2,100 fps.
    Last edited by Mr Wolverine; 08-22-2012 at 11:24 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    your the first call I make after I win the 6-49.

Now that you have us drooling, whenever you get the chance, could you post another pic or 2 of your 470? That one looks sweet!
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
    -H. L. Mencken

CGN Regular
    Any chance that you might bring in the Baikal 45/70 doubles???

I know they're not a classic, but for us poor folk ...

Why do you tease me so? (great photos though!)

deleted post...
    "A good gun is the one that makes you smile when you pick it up, and not cry when you drop it"

Nice pics John! Every time I see a double rifle, I think of Elmer and his Boswell 500. Always wanted to have one just like it, and hunt in Botswana. Well, at 51 pretty much figure it's not going to happen. But it is nice to follow others "trails".
    Thanks for sharing.

Later....

LeRoy
    I wish I was as young as you, plenty of time for you to go on Safari, live your dreams. I always enjoyed Elmer's writing as well, and never imagined I would ever hunt in Africa.

At my first camp in Africa, I built up a raport with the cook (I enjoy my food!) he told me one night that "In Africa, a man is as young as his soul, and you sir, you are a young man!" I count that as one of the highest compliments I have ever been paid. I was several years older than you then!

CGN Regular
    Thanks for the great pictures I to am a big fan of Elmer Kieth I remember reading about his exploits I never had a chance to own or fire a double rifle but I do own a 460 Weatherby, and a Super Grade Model 70 Winchester in 458 Winchester magnum. My dream has been to always own a nice double maybe the time has come.
    Its funny that this thread should come out now as I just picked up a book by Arthur H. Neumann "Elephant Hunting in East Equatorial Africa".
    Short and fat hard to get at, hit like a hammer and never been hit back.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Some of those are real works of art. Like was already said, if I win the 6-49...

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast