Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: AMMO Storage Question

BANNED
    i choose to store all ammo in a fireproof safe not because of the law but because of a fire and the implications that lose ammo will have in a severe fire.

Old thread but there is a couple threads about ammo in fires..... You'd be surprised at how it reacts when not in a chamber that restricts the shell from expanding!

BANNED
    All laws are written like that. Only the courts can define what is and is not considered reasonable too. That will not keep you from getting charged though. Downside is that it leaves the interpretation up to a cop's discretion.
    A loaded mag in a safe can't get any more secure. Same mag in an unlocked bedside table drawer is evil.

CGN Regular
    I have 7 boxes of 20ga just laying in a box by my gun safe because I have no place to lock it. Maybe in the safe seeig as I dont own anything in 20ga
    Last edited by Assassin-Actual; 01-14-2014 at 01:02 AM.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossbones View Post
    I keep ammo and firearms in the same room but locked in separate cabinets. Though I have a magazine loaded and sitting beside my pistol in the locked cabinet. I hope I'm alright after reading the confusing excerpt.
    Yes you are even in the video we have for the RPAL which dates from the late 60 but that's still what they show you in the classroom the guy in the vid stores his ammo in the same locked cabinet so if someone tells you you cant show them this vid 4:30 to 6:00
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Bd4...L0ydDQ&index=1

+1 kobs

The RCMP website says, "Store the ammunition separately or lock it up. It can be stored in the same locked container as the firearms."

I'm not a LEO but in security we deal with a lot of the same verbatim as this. The big reason for the "Vague" terminology is that the court has not as of yet had to defend the verbatim. Until such a time as the law is contested it will remain unchanged and personal "common-sense" will be the deciding factor. If the court comes into a position where someone misinterpreted the phrases to badly and in return an incident was caused then they may add a supplement to the clause.

In this case for storage of guns and ammo there are many possibilities. While personally I would keep my Guns and ammo Separately they can be kept together as long as they are locked. The big idea is that if someone comes rushing into my house I cant just grab an already loaded firearm off the side table and fire off shots as a "Weapon of opportunity" I have to unlock the firearm first and this gives the court the "Intent" that is the center of most court cases. Because I purposely unlocked the firearm for the use in this situation.

In a different Scenario If I have ammo placed in the closet of my house and a child can get access to them and ends up getting hurt this would be considered Criminal Negligence. Where-as if I had placed that same box on the top shelf out of the child's reach and it still managed to get them you could argue that it as not Negligence as the "Intent" was to keep it out of reach and reasonable steps were taken to ensure it remained that way. AKA: top shelf out of reach.

A lot of it comes down to the reason and your intent for why it is placed where it is.

If I am wrong on any point please inform me. This is my interpretation based off my personal experience.
    "There's something I want to tell you. A story about those who seemed to have lost something. But were able to gain something by coming together."

CGN Regular
    I see ammo sitting in shelves in gun stores. The ammo isn't locked. I assume that the gun store is locked when there is nobody there at night.

If this is safe storage of ammo then why can't a person who lives alone leave ammo in the basement of a locked house with an alarm system?
    "Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA — ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State." - SS Reichsführer Heinrich Himmler.

CGN Regular
    Old thread but I found this, and I "think" it applies.

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/explosives/a...rage-sale/9833

Ammunition
    Small Arms Cartridges, also known as ammunition, are an assembly of primers, propellant powders, metal casings and bullets used to fire a projectile from firearms. (Type C.1)

Acquisition
    The acquisition, storage and sale of propellants and ammunition require a dwelling, a storage unit or an explosives licence depending on the quantity and type of explosives being handled. Any person handling explosives must be at least 18 years of age or older unless otherwise exempted by the Explosives Act and Regulations.

Storage for Use
    Dwelling
    A person may acquire and store up to 225 kilograms net explosives quantity of ammunition for use in a dwelling.

When small arms cartridges are stored in a dwelling:

they must be stored away from flammable substances and sources of ignition. People not authorized by the retailer (<that is the weird part) must not be given unlimited access to the cartridges.

Get an amo ox at Cabelas for $14 and lock it. It's a hard box designed for ammo and you put a pad lock on it. Roll it up in a carpet and put it in he closet. Don't tell anyone,

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast