Page 1 of 10 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it legal to own/wear bullet proof vest?

Is it legal to own/wear bullet proof vest?

I used to see a bunch for sale on popular free ad websites, then all of a sudden they all dissappeared. I've asked a few people and got mixed responses.

If they are legal in Ontario, where can you buy them?

yes ? no ?

Don't try it but it's legal to wear at home as long as you are hiding in closet
    "It is only after we have lost our freedom that we appreciate its value." Words written on the wall of a Gestapo cell by WWII Belgian Resistance fighter Mary Barraco !!!

Nothing in the criminal code about wearing a vest in itself.

I eould imagine it would aggravate the situation in a criminal proceeding of assault.

If you are still in doubt, you can pick up a security guard license for 80$. Unless you have a criminal record.
    Foot sex

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Ardent's Avatar
    Northern BC, Coastal BC, or Africa. Depends on the season.
    ...seriously, why would you want to own/wear a bulletproof vest? If the "because I can" reasoning comes up again, it's just getting weaker and weaker. I once bought a vest, because it was exceedingly cheap, and I wanted the kevlar for making composites for another hobby. Never ended up pulling it apart, and flipped it, wondering why anyone would want one.

There is no restiction or regulation of body armour in Ontario

Having the priviledge of having spent ALOT of time wearing body armour I don't recommend spending money you don't have to buy it.

If you do....buyer beware Kevlar has a service life. After some time the ballistic integrity of the Kevlar will degrade.

In summation....I agree not really worth it if it's a buy just to have thing!
    You can't teach common sense
    And you can't fix stupid!

This may be one of those things that actually make sense to restrict more than a lot of the crap they put on the no-no list. Usually they say "what reason does a law abiding citizen have to need a firearm in his possession?" and of course there is none cause in their judgement (and that of the law too) self defense via firearm is unreasonable. However, you gotta be premeditating something dangerous to need body armor outside of a registered situation (like being a security guard, body guard, cop, soldier, someone with a restratining order). Basically if you think about it, if there isn't something on paper that suggests why you need it (meaning something obvious that is a major part of your life, even if its a stalker, which would demonstrate to anyone checking up on you) then you probably are up to something shady, or you're just an idiot that wastes money on something that doesn't do anything cool.

Guns go bang, body armor just makes you slow tired and sweaty. :P

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Ar180shooter's Avatar
    Firstly, wrong forum, this should be in the Legalese section. Second, the search button is your friend

Quote Originally Posted by P*Funk View Post
    This may be one of those things that actually make sense to restrict more than a lot of the crap they put on the no-no list. Usually they say "what reason does a law abiding citizen have to need a firearm in his possession?" and of course there is none cause in their judgement (and that of the law too) self defense via firearm is unreasonable. However, you gotta be premeditating something dangerous to need body armor outside of a registered situation (like being a security guard, body guard, cop, soldier, someone with a restratining order). Basically if you think about it, if there isn't something on paper that suggests why you need it (meaning something obvious that is a major part of your life, even if its a stalker, which would demonstrate to anyone checking up on you) then you probably are up to something shady, or you're just an idiot that wastes money on something that doesn't do anything cool.

Guns go bang, body armor just makes you slow tired and sweaty. :P
    So many things wrong with this statement I don't know where to begin. Firstly, what benefit does banning something that can only be used for defense have? Also, whose business is it if someone wants to spend their money on a ballistic vest, IMO, people buy all sorts of stupid crap all of the time, but I'm not pushing for it to be banned (and I would oppose whoever is). They are not harming anyone by owning it or wearing it, and just owning body armor does not show intent for anything. "If you own a gun, you must be up to something shady" is where your line of thinking leads to.
    "If everybody you meet is an a$shole, then you're probably the problem, not them."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer HKMark23's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardent View Post
    ...seriously, why would you want to own/wear a bulletproof vest? If the "because I can" reasoning comes up again, it's just getting weaker and weaker.
    The real concern is that left wing right brained demand for "justification of choice" is getting stronger and stronger. At issue seems to be the right of individuals to have or do anything that falls askew of what "group think" liberals feel on the matter. Otherwise, what would be the harm and what concern is it to anyone else? Rightly;

Q: "Why does Fred want a bulletproof vest?"

A: "Who gives a f**k!"
    "When you have made evil the means of survival, do not expect men to remain good. Do not expect them to stay moral and lose their lives for the purpose of becoming the fodder of the immoral. Do not expect them to produce, when production is punished and looting rewarded. Do not ask, 'Who is destroying the world?' You are." - Ayn Rand

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    It is now illegal to own and/wear bullet proof vests in the Province of BC.
    El Gordo and his cronnies are trying to make it harder for the gang bangers to commit serious drive by shootings.
    Myself, I thought about buying a vest a few years ago for riding my motorcycle after being hit in the chest by a sparrow at 65MPH....mow that hurt.
    Rob
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

Quote Originally Posted by FLHTCUI View Post
    It is now illegal to own and/wear bullet proof vests in the Province of BC.
    El Gordo and his cronnies are trying to make it harder for the gang bangers to commit serious drive by shootings.
    Myself, I thought about buying a vest a few years ago for riding my motorcycle after being hit in the chest by a sparrow at 65MPH....mow that hurt.
    Rob
    I hadn't even thought about that as a reason to own a vest, that would really hurt!
    Member: National Firearms Association
    Member: Conservative Party of Canada
    Member: National Rifle Association

Page 1 of 10 123456789 ... LastLast