Hiking or camping with a firearm, legal?

Rickyy101

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Quick noobie question here! Are you allowed to hike or camp with a firearm?

Not for hunting purposes, of course. I doubt you could do it in a park or something, but what if you're out in the sticks?

Thanks!

(Non-restricted)

Newbie hazards a guess: you can carry a firearm anywhere you're permitted to discharge it, which is anywhere you're not specifically prohibited from discharging it: within city limits, in a park, from, along or across a highway, etc.

The restrictions, if any, are to be found in your respective provincial wildlife legislation.
Hunting Regulations Summary - 2009-2
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/FW/Publication/MNR_E001275P.html
Read it.

Depending upon the province, you might find it prudent to procure an appropriate hunting license - even if you're not hunting - because of the possibility that you will cross paths with a MNR/DNR Conservation Officer who considers such a document a necessary firearms accessory. These people do exist, and, believe me, you don't want to draw their attention.

Depends on the provincial Park. Me thinks you live in Ontario, so anything within a few hours north of Toronto is likely 100% no. Example: Algonquin Park says bringing firearms into provincial park is prohibited, even bb guns. I figure that means no exceptions unless under special cases.

I called Mississagi PP (east of Sudbury) and the ranger said it's fine as long as it's trigger locked, in locked case and inside trunk at all times (lots of places to hunt and plink in that area). Went further north to Shoals PP and did the same thing but never asked about their regulations. I assume it's the same thing but really, don't assume anything.

"...to hike or camp with a firearm..." The Ontario MNR(likely instigated by McGuinty's gang) has decided that the only reason to have a firearm in the bush is for hunting. (Working trappers and propectors with the appropriate permit, excepted.)
Get stopped by a CO with a firearm, in the bush, you are assumed to be hunting. Have no hunting licence for whatever game is in season, where you are hiking/camping or have a firearm chambered in a calibre not suitable for whatever game is in season, and you will be charged. All your equipment, up to and including your vehicle, can be confiscated. However, there is no law that says this. MNR policy only.

"...to hike or camp with a firearm..." The Ontario MNR(likely instigated by McGuinty's gang) has decided that the only reason to have a firearm in the bush is for hunting. (Working trappers and propectors with the appropriate permit, excepted.)
Get stopped by a CO with a firearm, in the bush, you are assumed to be hunting. Have no hunting licence for whatever game is in season, where you are hiking/camping or have a firearm chambered in a calibre not suitable for whatever game is in season, and you will be charged. All your equipment, up to and including your vehicle, can be confiscated. However, there is no law that says this. MNR policy only.

Now that's brutal!I had no idea Ontario was so strict!I grew up in Kelowna B.C. and we carried guns with us all the time,year round with no problems.My friends still do when riding quads,camping ect.I have now lived in the Yukon for ten years now and the only place we cant carry a rifle or shotgun is in a national park like Kluane.Other than that i always carry whether i'm on my quad or cutting firewood.That's a crappy and unfair deal for gun owners in Ontario.

man that sucks!

do you have the actual section for this? I ride the parry sound area, (the sequin trail) and its full of bears. Its second only to Sudbury for Bear encounters in ontario. I had one run at my family one day before it took off.

I'd like to carry my 12 gauge pump on the trail in my duffle bag but was wondering if it is legal?

This is not a provincial park and its about 3 hours north of toronto.

Now that the bear hunt was cancelled these things are everywhere.

I thought it was legal to carry in these areas if your in an area where these type of animals prevail?

So if I ride in Sudbury or Elliot lake this year I cant bring my gun?

Just stay legal

The simpilist way to avoid a problem in Ontario when packing a rifle for protection is to make sure you have a valid small game liscence, in most Ontario areas wolf and Coyote are open all year long and you only require the small game lisc. to hunt them. So if your ATVing hiking, etc.... and you come across the man with the green sleeves, he can't f#$%$ you up and as long as your not hunting in prohibited areas or breaking any firearm or hunting laws, and you are being prudent with your firearm. You are not breaking any laws doing this.

You can spend thousands of dollars incourt to proove your point, that you carry for protection, and travel back and fourth from where you live and enjoy the outoors, to fight the fine, cause it won't be your local court it will be the closet one to where you were hassled by Mr. MNR. The MNR has a reputation to fine first ask questions later. So really if your worried about protection when outdoors, just make sure you have a valid PAL or POL. Outdoors card, with small game tag. YOU ARE 100% LEGAL, as long as your WMU is open for wolf or Coyote 12 months a years. I know most people ATV with thier family in spring and throughout the summer and there really is no open season except for wolf and yote at that time.. Cheers.

Last edited:
Perhaps the CO's in Southern Ontario have a different interpretation than up north. I carry a rifle on canoe trips from May till October. The only time one has to worry about being questioned about a rifle is from Aug 15 (bear season) until Dec. 15 (end of moose season). If a CO finds you with a rifle capable of shooting a moose or bear, and you don't have a tag, they will presume you are hunting illegally.

I get all my tags anyway, starting in August with the bear tag, and ending March 31 when my wolf tag expires. My last conversation with a CO was quite interesting. I wanted to hunt wolf during moose season without a moose tag, but using a moose size rifle. CO told me it would be a no-no.

WTF??!! This is news to me.

You're allowed to target shoot/skeet shoot on crown land, so I don't see how this could be enforced.

Perhaps the CO's in Southern Ontario have a different interpretation than up north. I carry a rifle on canoe trips from May till October. The only time one has to worry about being questioned about a rifle is from Aug 15 (bear season) until Dec. 15 (end of moose season). If a CO finds you with a rifle capable of shooting a moose or bear, and you don't have a tag, they will presume you are hunting illegally.

I get all my tags anyway, starting in August with the bear tag, and ending March 31 when my wolf tag expires. My last conversation with a CO was quite interesting. I wanted to hunt wolf during moose season without a moose tag, but using a moose size rifle. CO told me it would be a no-no.

It just goes to show you that our actions are open to interpretation not facts. I hunt deer at the same time bear is open, like many other hunters I don't carry a bear tag I'm I doing somthing wrong. I checked once to see if I could legally carry a crossbow to hunt deer and also bring in a firearm for small game, I was also told that would be a no no. Again Interpretation that your doing somthing wrong but you haven't done anything wrong. As far as they are concerned (MNR) your guilty of what they say you are guilty of, before proving it. Kind of a catch 22 when it comes to the Ministry, I guess they need the money.
Like I said the MNR are quick to fine and ask questions later no matter how miserable they make your life.

Thanks for all the responses, guys. Admittedly, they are not what I wanted to hear.. Now I see why people refer to Ontario as ''Bantario.''

If I do get a small game license, what is the largest caliber I will be allowed to carry?

Please don't tell me it's 22LR!

By the sounds of it I won't be able to carry a Mosin or SKS if I'm supposed to be hunting rabbits and coyotes :\

Thanks for all the responses, guys. Admittedly, they are not what I wanted to hear.. Now I see why people refer to Ontario as ''Bantario.''

If I do get a small game license, what is the largest caliber I will be allowed to carry?

Please don't tell me it's 22LR!

By the sounds of it I won't be able to carry a Mosin or SKS if I'm supposed to be hunting rabbits and coyotes :\

I've been told, best check you rules and regs, but like I said I have been told no calibre is to big for wolf or yote.

All I can say, plenty of people here target shoot on crown land in Bantario. I think the onus is on us to prove that is the only thing we're doing. Targets setup, tarp on ground in open area with backstop. I'll be damned if they can charge me for hunting without a licence with zero hunting gear with me. I guess they can say I can plink animals within the vicinity.. Oh... lookie, a DEAF bear/deer watching us target shooting, let's shoot it too... :)

All I can say, plenty of people here target shoot on crown land in Bantario. I think the onus is on us to prove that is the only thing we're doing. Targets setup, tarp on ground in open area with backstop. I'll be damned if they can charge me for hunting without a licence with zero hunting gear with me. I guess they can say I can plink animals within the vicinity.. Oh... lookie, a DEAF bear/deer watching us target shooting, let's shoot it too... :)

Few questions ;

What is crown land?
How do I find it?
Are you allowed to hunt there?

Few questions ;

What is crown land?
How do I find it?
Are you allowed to hunt there?

Crown land in other words is public land. Go here to locate 'em: http://crownlanduseatlas.mnr.gov.on.ca/clupa.html

Mind you, crown land doesn't always means you can hunt on it. You have to check local by-laws too if any.

There is next to nothing in southern ontario but up north, it's everywhere. Example, just north of Elliot lake and surrounding area is crown land, but you have to make sure if you want to hunt and target shoot. Some places are obvious, some not so.

There's a logging road north of Elliot lake (I don't remember road but it's in very poor condition, but it's a about 50km long and is closed in the winters). It took me 1.5hrs to drive through it. I thought it was a short cut to Shoals PP. Tons and tons of prime plinking spots off the main dirt road. At the end of the this road, there is a hunting store. I asked lady to confirm if it's all crown land and wanted map. She didn't have one for sale but was pointing out nice camping grounds with map they had. I said I wanted to know if I can target shoot there. Without even flinching, she goes yeah, just make sure you can prove you are indeed target shooting.

However, best to check with local MNR before attempting to target shoot or hunt. We live in Bantario after all but people 5+ hours north of us are gun friendly.

UPDATE: anyway, thx to internet... here's what I'm talking about: It's the gray line after highway 546/639 meet. You can use this and verify with link above. Majority all crown land. There are tons of sign even saying you're in crown land.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou....649908,-82.827301&spn=0.217292,0.442886&z=11

Back
Top Bottom