Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hiking or camping with a firearm, legal?

CGN Regular
    Perhaps the CO's in Southern Ontario have a different interpretation than up north. I carry a rifle on canoe trips from May till October. The only time one has to worry about being questioned about a rifle is from Aug 15 (bear season) until Dec. 15 (end of moose season). If a CO finds you with a rifle capable of shooting a moose or bear, and you don't have a tag, they will presume you are hunting illegally.

I get all my tags anyway, starting in August with the bear tag, and ending March 31 when my wolf tag expires. My last conversation with a CO was quite interesting. I wanted to hunt wolf during moose season without a moose tag, but using a moose size rifle. CO told me it would be a no-no.

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    "...to hike or camp with a firearm..." The Ontario MNR(likely instigated by McGuinty's gang) has decided that the only reason to have a firearm in the bush is for hunting. (Working trappers and propectors with the appropriate permit, excepted.)
    Get stopped by a CO with a firearm, in the bush, you are assumed to be hunting. Have no hunting licence for whatever game is in season, where you are hiking/camping or have a firearm chambered in a calibre not suitable for whatever game is in season, and you will be charged. All your equipment, up to and including your vehicle, can be confiscated. However, there is no law that says this. MNR policy only.
    WTF??!! This is news to me.

You're allowed to target shoot/skeet shoot on crown land, so I don't see how this could be enforced.

I'ld rather be Hunting somewhere in Eastern Ontario.
    Quote Originally Posted by memaquay View Post
    Perhaps the CO's in Southern Ontario have a different interpretation than up north. I carry a rifle on canoe trips from May till October. The only time one has to worry about being questioned about a rifle is from Aug 15 (bear season) until Dec. 15 (end of moose season). If a CO finds you with a rifle capable of shooting a moose or bear, and you don't have a tag, they will presume you are hunting illegally.

I get all my tags anyway, starting in August with the bear tag, and ending March 31 when my wolf tag expires. My last conversation with a CO was quite interesting. I wanted to hunt wolf during moose season without a moose tag, but using a moose size rifle. CO told me it would be a no-no.
    It just goes to show you that our actions are open to interpretation not facts. I hunt deer at the same time bear is open, like many other hunters I don't carry a bear tag I'm I doing somthing wrong. I checked once to see if I could legally carry a crossbow to hunt deer and also bring in a firearm for small game, I was also told that would be a no no. Again Interpretation that your doing somthing wrong but you haven't done anything wrong. As far as they are concerned (MNR) your guilty of what they say you are guilty of, before proving it. Kind of a catch 22 when it comes to the Ministry, I guess they need the money.
    Like I said the MNR are quick to fine and ask questions later no matter how miserable they make your life.
    EVEN A MAD MAN WITH A PENCHANT FOR DESTRUCTION HAS SOME FORM OF RESERVATION

CGN Regular
    Guilty until proven innocent, welcome to Canada.

Thanks for all the responses, guys. Admittedly, they are not what I wanted to hear.. Now I see why people refer to Ontario as ''Bantario.''

If I do get a small game license, what is the largest caliber I will be allowed to carry?

Please don't tell me it's 22LR!

By the sounds of it I won't be able to carry a Mosin or SKS if I'm supposed to be hunting rabbits and coyotes :\

Quote Originally Posted by Rickyy101 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses, guys. Admittedly, they are not what I wanted to hear.. Now I see why people refer to Ontario as ''Bantario.''

If I do get a small game license, what is the largest caliber I will be allowed to carry?

Please don't tell me it's 22LR!

By the sounds of it I won't be able to carry a Mosin or SKS if I'm supposed to be hunting rabbits and coyotes :\
    I've been told, best check you rules and regs, but like I said I have been told no calibre is to big for wolf or yote.

All I can say, plenty of people here target shoot on crown land in Bantario. I think the onus is on us to prove that is the only thing we're doing. Targets setup, tarp on ground in open area with backstop. I'll be damned if they can charge me for hunting without a licence with zero hunting gear with me. I guess they can say I can plink animals within the vicinity.. Oh... lookie, a DEAF bear/deer watching us target shooting, let's shoot it too...

Quote Originally Posted by john777 View Post
    All I can say, plenty of people here target shoot on crown land in Bantario. I think the onus is on us to prove that is the only thing we're doing. Targets setup, tarp on ground in open area with backstop. I'll be damned if they can charge me for hunting without a licence with zero hunting gear with me. I guess they can say I can plink animals within the vicinity.. Oh... lookie, a DEAF bear/deer watching us target shooting, let's shoot it too...
    Few questions ;

What is crown land?
    How do I find it?
    Are you allowed to hunt there?

Few questions ;

What is crown land?
    How do I find it?
    Crown land in other words is public land. Go here to locate 'em: http://crownlanduseatlas.mnr.gov.on.ca/clupa.html

Mind you, crown land doesn't always means you can hunt on it. You have to check local by-laws too if any.

There is next to nothing in southern ontario but up north, it's everywhere. Example, just north of Elliot lake and surrounding area is crown land, but you have to make sure if you want to hunt and target shoot. Some places are obvious, some not so.

There's a logging road north of Elliot lake (I don't remember road but it's in very poor condition, but it's a about 50km long and is closed in the winters). It took me 1.5hrs to drive through it. I thought it was a short cut to Shoals PP. Tons and tons of prime plinking spots off the main dirt road. At the end of the this road, there is a hunting store. I asked lady to confirm if it's all crown land and wanted map. She didn't have one for sale but was pointing out nice camping grounds with map they had. I said I wanted to know if I can target shoot there. Without even flinching, she goes yeah, just make sure you can prove you are indeed target shooting.

However, best to check with local MNR before attempting to target shoot or hunt. We live in Bantario after all but people 5+ hours north of us are gun friendly.

UPDATE: anyway, thx to internet... here's what I'm talking about: It's the gray line after highway 546/639 meet. You can use this and verify with link above. Majority all crown land. There are tons of sign even saying you're in crown land.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.442886&z=11

Few questions ;

What is crown land?
    How do I find it?
    Acres of Crown land in Cochrane Ontario

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast