Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hiking or camping with a firearm, legal?

BANNED
    "...what is the largest caliber..." Depends on where you're hiking/camping. There are several municipalities, names are on page 71 of the hunting regs under Small Game, that say nothing greater than .275 calibre, by the cartridge name, not the actual bullet diameter. A .270 Win is ok, but a .280 Remington is not. Some say nothing greater than .270 for anything. Those are mostly around TO. Means a .275 Weatherby is out despite both using the same bullet.
    "...What is crown land?..." Land owned by the Provincial or Federal government that is NOT leased to a mining or logging company or used as a Provincial or National Park. Free access to anybody, including the assorted riff-raff. Cross country Skiers, hikers, picnickers, etc.
    "...do you have the actual section for this?..." There is no law. MNR policy only. Section 109 of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act sort of covers it though.
    http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...41_e.htm#BK123
    A shotgun in a duffle bag won't be of much use if Yogi (more likely to be Cindy with cubs) takes exception to you being there. You'll never be fast enough.
    "...on my quad..." Having a loaded firearm in or on ANY vehicle is illegal.

There is also a bunch of good threads somewhere about open carry an antique handgun for self defense in the bush. Convenient and easy to carry and all you have to be is 18 and over to own. Exact details about the law for antiques, dunno... At least, just treat it as a non-restricted when you're in the bush but you can supposedly open carry it - priceless...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by john simmons View Post
    Now that's brutal!I had no idea Ontario was so strict!I grew up in Kelowna B.C. and we carried guns with us all the time,year round with no problems.My friends still do when riding quads,camping ect.I have now lived in the Yukon for ten years now and the only place we cant carry a rifle or shotgun is in a national park like Kluane.Other than that i always carry whether i'm on my quad or cutting firewood.That's a crappy and unfair deal for gun owners in Ontario.
    that's b/c the bears would regularly "take" the odd resident- and the b.c. government was more "enlightened" - esp when benett's kid was chased by one on their property in town- used to be at the end of richter, or ellis, i beleive

CGN Ultra frequent flyer blasted_saber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    "...to hike or camp with a firearm..." The Ontario MNR(likely instigated by McGuinty's gang) has decided that the only reason to have a firearm in the bush is for hunting. (Working trappers and propectors with the appropriate permit, excepted.)
    Get stopped by a CO with a firearm, in the bush, you are assumed to be hunting. Have no hunting licence for whatever game is in season, where you are hiking/camping or have a firearm chambered in a calibre not suitable for whatever game is in season, and you will be charged. All your equipment, up to and including your vehicle, can be confiscated. However, there is no law that says this. MNR policy only.
    Actually, you're wrong. I had a discussion with a CO about this about 6 months ago. He told me as long as its obvious you're not hunting, you're fine. Meaning if you're in full realtree camo, with cover scent and other hunting paraphenaelia, you're in trouble, but if you're in blue jeans plinking pop cans you're good to go.

I suppose its officers discretion, but it is certainly not a blanket "policy" that you speak of.

I plink/target/clay shoot all year long, and have never, ever, been bothered by a CO or cop

Ontario isnt nearly as bad as some make it out to be. Around the GTA, things get a little crazy, but theirs a LOT more to Ontario then the GTA. You can use whatever you want to hunt small game, with exception of a few counties. 99% of the province, you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by memaquay View Post
    Perhaps the CO's in Southern Ontario have a different interpretation than up north. I carry a rifle on canoe trips from May till October. The only time one has to worry about being questioned about a rifle is from Aug 15 (bear season) until Dec. 15 (end of moose season). If a CO finds you with a rifle capable of shooting a moose or bear, and you don't have a tag, they will presume you are hunting illegally.

I get all my tags anyway, starting in August with the bear tag, and ending March 31 when my wolf tag expires. My last conversation with a CO was quite interesting. I wanted to hunt wolf during moose season without a moose tag, but using a moose size rifle. CO told me it would be a no-no.

That is one of the most retarded things I have ever heard.

And what the f@#k is a moose sized rifle.....Some COs shouldn't be in the postion they are in.....F@#king Ontario.....

I am glad I can take a "moose sized rifle" out and shoot with it every day, no matter what is in season and not be harrassed. The Ontario government has got to get its head out of its ass as this type of retardedness as it wears off on others.
    "Never go full retard"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer blasted_saber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ABCZAR View Post
    That is one of the most retarded things I have ever heard.

And what the f@#k is a moose sized rifle.....Some COs shouldn't be in the postion they are in.....F@#king Ontario.....

I am glad I can take a "moose sized rifle" out and shoot with it every day, no matter what is in season and not be harrassed. The Ontario government has got to get its head out of its ass as this type of retardedness as it wears off on others.
    The law states that during an open season for bear, moose, or deer, one cannot posses a rifle of greater then .22 unless they have a valid tag for hunting purposes. No mention is made of target shooting as not everyone who owns guns hunts.

From someone who lives in Ontario, its not nearly as retarded as some make it out to be. I can go shooting whenever the heck i feel like back in the boonies or on private land.

Quote Originally Posted by 44fordy View Post
    WTF??!! This is news to me.

You're allowed to target shoot/skeet shoot on crown land, so I don't see how this could be enforced.
    It's a policy only. Which ultimately doesn't mean #### in court even if it is correct.

Dude keeps posting this info but hasn't shown anything to back it up yet.
    Most stories with cops being dicks start with the story teller being one.

Asked MNR this back in the spring, maybe this will clear things up a little
    Question:
    Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 9:17 PM
    To: NRIC - Hunting (MNR); Webmaster (MNR)
    Subject: MNR Website Inquiry: Hunting (English)
    Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by
    (*****) on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 21:17:12

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: My family and I are planning a canoe trip with some friends on crown land in the Bancroft area and I would like to know the policy regarding firearms and target shooting. thanks
    Response:

Thank you for your enquiry.

Generally speaking, you may target practice on Crown land unless otherwise posted. Crown land use means leaving no trace. You must clean up your empty brass or hulls and targets when you are done. Failing to do so or leaving any material/garbage behind could result in serious fines under the Public Lands Act

You must consider township, municipal, or city by-laws before discharging firearms. Municipalities or cities have a no-discharge of firearms by-law within town limits. Sometimes town limits actually extend further than the town itself. You would have to contact the town or township to ensure that the area you are practicing on is not within a “no discharge” zone.

Another thing to consider is if you plan on practicing on Sundays. If the town or municipality does not allow Sunday gun hunting, then you could not practice on Sundays. Even though you are not "hunting", the by-law prohibiting Sunday gun hunting may be for any discharge of firearms. A list and map of municipalities allowing Sunday gun hunting is available online at http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business...02_173985.html

It is important to remember that because you would most likely be practicing in an area that is known to be inhabited by wildlife, it could be mistaken that you are hunting. You must keep your firearm unloaded and encased while you walk to the area you are practicing, then set up your targets before you load your firearm and begin practicing. When you are finished, you must unload and encase your firearm again before you take down your targets and walk back out of the area. Even though you are not hunting, if you are walking around an area inhabited by wildlife, it would look as if you are hunting, and you could get charged for hunting out of season.

When target practicing, you must consider what is behind your target should your projectile miss the mark. Use a suitable backstop. Discharging firearms carelessly is an offence. Persons who discharge firearms without due care and attention or consideration for persons and property are liable to a fine of up to $25,000 or imprisonment for up to two years – or both.

For more information contact your local MNR office to where you plan on performing your target practice. A list of MNR offices, and their contact information, is available online at http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/ContactU...02_179002.html

Have people been charged in Ontario by a CO for carrying a gun for bear/critter protection because they didn't have a hunting tag?It just sounds to crazy to be real!It's like me getting pulled over in my mustang by the RCMP to give me a speeding ticket because it's a mustang and he believes i will be speeding at some point.Same idea to me as calling an Ontario guy a poacher even though he wasn't or hasn't done anything wrong.Like corey3 said guilty until proven innocent!

What is the law on carrying a small backpacking sized rifle (.22) in a park that has hunting permitted to hunt small animals (squirrel, etc.)? Would I need a hunting license for this?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast