Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hiking or camping with a firearm, legal?

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    "...what is the largest caliber..." Depends on where you're hiking/camping. There are several municipalities, names are on page 71 of the hunting regs under Small Game, that say nothing greater than .275 calibre, by the cartridge name, not the actual bullet diameter. A .270 Win is ok, but a .280 Remington is not. Some say nothing greater than .270 for anything. Those are mostly around TO. Means a .275 Weatherby is out despite both using the same bullet.
    "...What is crown land?..." Land owned by the Provincial or Federal government that is NOT leased to a mining or logging company or used as a Provincial or National Park. Free access to anybody, including the assorted riff-raff. Cross country Skiers, hikers, picnickers, etc.
    "...do you have the actual section for this?..." There is no law. MNR policy only. Section 109 of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act sort of covers it though.
    http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...41_e.htm#BK123
    A shotgun in a duffle bag won't be of much use if Yogi (more likely to be Cindy with cubs) takes exception to you being there. You'll never be fast enough.
    "...on my quad..." Having a loaded firearm in or on ANY vehicle is illegal.
    Just a thought, canoes are exempted from the vehicle rule. They are the only form of transportation in which you can have an unlocked and loaded firearm.

BANNED
    "...doesn't mean s**t in court even if it is correct..." Agreed. Cost you 30 to 50 grand to beat it though.
    "...in a park...Would I need a hunting license for this?..." Hunting anywhere requires a licence.
    "...canoes are exempted from the vehicle rule..." Motorised vehicles only.

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    "...in a park...Would I need a hunting license for this?..." Hunting anywhere requires a licence.
    Thanks for replying. I was reading this Hunting-Trapping Synopsis: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...0910_Part1.pdf

On page 14 under Schedule C it says that a hunting license is not required?

Quote Originally Posted by MrNg View Post
    Thanks for replying. I was reading this Hunting-Trapping Synopsis: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...0910_Part1.pdf

On page 14 under Schedule C it says that a hunting license is not required?
    He is referring to Ontario. Regulations are most likely different in BC.

Speaking of Ontario, seems to me that this discriminitory policy should be challenged. What does the Ontario Federation of Anglers and hunters think of this
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

What about while I am camping? I don't go to camp sites. The RCMP website says ;

Safe Storage

All firearms must be unloaded for storage.

Ordinarily, non-restricted firearms must either be made inoperable or locked in a sturdy cabinet, container or room that cannot easily be broken into. The ammunition must be kept separate unless it is locked up.

However, in a remote wilderness area, non-restricted firearms do not have to be made inoperable or locked up. They must be unloaded, but the ammunition can be kept handy.

I also camp in Quebec, as well as here in Ontario.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Cummins4x4's Avatar
    All I can say is thank God I live in Alberta. I carry whatever NR I feel is appropriate for the situation everywhere except national parks(which I never go to anyways)
    Cummins4x4
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

CGN Ultra frequent flyer blasted_saber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    He is referring to Ontario. Regulations are most likely different in BC.

Speaking of Ontario, seems to me that this discriminitory policy should be challenged. What does the Ontario Federation of Anglers and hunters think of this
    This "policy" doesnt exist. Its been answered several times in this thread.

CGN Regular Buffalo Creek Law Dog's Avatar
    Not in the middle of nowhere but, you can see it from here.
    You can have a rifle/shotgun in a provincial park/camp ground in Alberta as long it is unloaded and cased. I always carry one of my lever guns in .357 mag in my trailer whenever I'm camping.
    Wild Rose Country, Hey!...it's even on our license plates

BANNED
    "...the Ontario Federation of Anglers and hunters think of this..." They've done absolutely nothing about any of the current laws.
    "...This "policy" doesnt exist..." Go plinking without a hunting licence.

Quote Originally Posted by blasted_saber View Post
    Actually, you're wrong. I had a discussion with a CO about this about 6 months ago. He told me as long as its obvious you're not hunting, you're fine. Meaning if you're in full realtree camo, with cover scent and other hunting paraphenaelia, you're in trouble, but if you're in blue jeans plinking pop cans you're good to go.

I suppose its officers discretion, but it is certainly not a blanket "policy" that you speak of.

I plink/target/clay shoot all year long, and have never, ever, been bothered by a CO or cop

Ontario isnt nearly as bad as some make it out to be. Around the GTA, things get a little crazy, but theirs a LOT more to Ontario then the GTA. You can use whatever you want to hunt small game, with exception of a few counties. 99% of the province, you're good to go.
    That's right, I sent MNR an email a couple weeks ago and got a response from a CO in Parry Sound the next day, telling me that I could sight in my rifle and shoot targets on Crown Land in the Healey Lake area just off of Georgian Bay. He advised me that it would probably be a good idea to keep the firearms encased until reaching my destination, to avoid giving the appearance of hunting. Not required though.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast