Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hiking or camping with a firearm, legal?

Quote Originally Posted by blasted_saber View Post
    The law states that during an open season for bear, moose, or deer, one cannot posses a rifle of greater then .22 unless they have a valid tag for hunting purposes. No mention is made of target shooting as not everyone who owns guns hunts.

From someone who lives in Ontario, its not nearly as retarded as some make it out to be. I can go shooting whenever the heck i feel like back in the boonies or on private land.
    So it sounds like you are ok with this....to each his own I guess.
    "Never go full retard"

The reason I ask this is because where I go camping it requires a several hour hike so there's seldom anyone there. The area also has hunting permitted. I would like to bring my .22 rifle to plink but don't want any trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNg View Post
    The reason I ask this is because where I go camping it requires a several hour hike so there's seldom anyone there. The area also has hunting permitted. I would like to bring my .22 rifle to plink but don't want any trouble.

You can bring your gun to plink as it is legal to shoot in the area you are going. I do it all the time quading on the island.
    "Never go full retard"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer blasted_saber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    "...the Ontario Federation of Anglers and hunters think of this..." They've done absolutely nothing about any of the current laws.
    "...This "policy" doesnt exist..." Go plinking without a hunting licence.
    Where did you here that you are automatically assumed to be hunting in the bush?

Several people in this thread (including myself) have had direct contact with COs on this very matter, and have been told its perfectly acceptable given its obvious that you are not hunting.

Sounds to me like you should remove your tinfoil hat.

This is really quite simple...the Ontario Hunting Regs are HUNTING regs, not plinking regs, not camping regs, not hiking regs. If you are wearing camo, using calls, etc, then yes you will be assumed to be hunting. But if you have a couple rifles, some targets/cans, a campsite, or the like, then you are clearly not hunting. I dont know where the misconception came from.

I would like the nay sayers to please state the MNR statute that states that if you have a firearm, you are hunting. (And please dont quote the typical "my uncles best friends wife's cousin got charged" BS.

It is legal to shoot/possess a loaded firearm ANYWHERE it is legal to discharge it ie; private land, no discharge by-laws, not on a road, etc.

I always take firearms camping in S Ont. I never camp in provincial parks as it is illegal there. I typically camp in remote areas of crown land or privately owned property. I always have targets because I usually target shoot on camping trips. I have never been bothered by anyone. Be safe and responsible and have fun.
    "If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems"
    Member: CSSA & the über-powerful CGN Gun Lobby
    كافر

:D
    I do most of my bush traveling, camping, fishing in the later part of the summer after the heat & clouds of flies have subsided somewhat & bass season is open.

Black Bear hunting season runs from the middle of August til the snow flies in the area of Norther Ontario where I go............lines up perfectly with my agenda.

To minimize the hassle of running into a "difficult", "anti-activist" Conservation or Police Officer I have a Black Bear License with me at all times & wear the required blaze orange hunting apparel when carrying a non-restricted firearm (Remington 870 Marine Magnum or DA Grizzly) in the bush.

It's kind of a wimp out but I value my precious little recreational time in Northern Ontario & have no desire to spend any of it or my hard earned money "wrestling" with the legal/court system.......$40 or so for a BB hunting license is cheap insurance for not having to do so.

I've had passers-by on bush trails dime me out on cell phones twice and a showing of the BB hunting license & PAL & the MNR hunting regs I carry in my pack sack sent the officers (waiting by my truck when I came out) on their way with a "No problem Sir" both times.

The last time I interacted with a LEO in that regard was a couple of years ago & I've met people in the bush since.

My guess is that the cops still get the calls but know who I am from the general description of me & my truck given to them by the cell phone RATS & don't bother coming out any more.

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    "...doesn't mean s**t in court even if it is correct..." Agreed. Cost you 30 to 50 grand to beat it though.
    "...in a park...Would I need a hunting license for this?..." Hunting anywhere requires a licence.
    "...canoes are exempted from the vehicle rule..." Motorised vehicles only.
    30-50 grand??? What did you do, accidentally murder someone when you were plinking but they assumed you were hunting????
    Most stories with cops being dicks start with the story teller being one.

Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    He is referring to Ontario. Regulations are most likely different in BC.

Speaking of Ontario, seems to me that this discriminitory policy should be challenged. What does the Ontario Federation of Anglers and hunters think of this
    Best not to open that can of worms. There's a difference between hunters and "sports shooters" dontchanow'?
    Foot sex

Not according to several provincial Governments.

Over here in Quebec, common wisdom is to make sure every member of your plinking party has a small game license on them. Anybody asks, you're hunting either woodchucks or pigeons, any other answer WILL result in charges, it's even part of the CFSC/hunter's course regular curriculum.

They have a charge on the books called "presomtion de chasse" (individual ASSUMED to be hunting) which has been sucessfully used over the years to "nail" people whom dared to do such awful, awful things as running around the woods, outside of a designated campsite, after dark with a flashlight. Gun or not, doesn't matter. Hell the MNR "representative" that came to my course a few years ago also made it abundantly clear that the flashlight in question better be pointed at the ground and no more than 5 feet in front of you and that he HAD been known to routinely charge people over it.

Quote Originally Posted by olegs69 View Post
    Best not to open that can of worms. There's a difference between hunters and "sports shooters" dontchanow'?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast