Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does RCMP run daily/weekly criminal background checks????

CGN Regular

Does RCMP run daily/weekly criminal background checks????

I was checking out some youtube videos posted by Canadians with regards to possessing a PAL/RPAL.

One video poster specifically made mention that once you are issued a PAL, your name goes into a special database that runs off a macro that is run by the RCMP, could be daily, weekly, monthly, etc etc, that checks to see if you may have recently been charged by the police regarding some criminal activity. If your name comes up, the RCMP have the right to immediately suspend or revoke your PAL.

Any truth to this??????

CGN frequent flyer FirearmsEnthusiast's Avatar
    There is a "continuous eligibility" process that is evidently run, so yes - if you find your way into the CPIC database for a potential offence involving violence or firearms, my understanding is that it is likely to be flagged up.
    Are you saying I'm a "gun nut"? I prefer the term "Firearms Enthusiast"...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Yogi05's Avatar
    You don't have to be charged, just an interaction according the explanation of the continuous eligibility program.
    My understanding, a domestic dispute for instance where police attended but nothing came of it as far as arrests etc. would generate a flag which would cause someone to look into the contact and decide whether to send it to the provincial cfo for further review.

Sounds like a slow process but still more scrutiny than most parolees
    You can keep your MP3 and your MP4.....
    I want an MP5 !

Our legal system - guilty until rendered bankrupt

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Challenger2010 View Post
    I was checking out some youtube videos posted by Canadians with regards to possessing a PAL/RPAL.

One video poster specifically made mention that once you are issued a PAL, your name goes into a special database that runs off a macro that is run by the RCMP, could be daily, weekly, monthly, etc etc, that checks to see if you may have recently been charged by the police regarding some criminal activity. If your name comes up, the RCMP have the right to immediately suspend or revoke your PAL.

Any truth to this??????
    Of course this is true.
    You watched it on via the internet on a you tube channel.
    Did you see the clip about House Hippos???
    Tight Groups and Keep your Powder Dry too,
    Rob
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

I believe its actually the other way around.
    if you are charged with certain criminal offences ( mostly the violent ones) then your name is put on CPIC as Charged.
    it is then run in CFRO to see if you have a licence and it (Licence) is then suspended.
    It actually is a good thing and its only for certain offences .(Violence, domestic violence,Criminal harassment, drug dealing, terrorism etc)
    the same offences as in section 5 of the firearms act, which anyone can look up as its a public law.
    Other police reports Mental health ,addiction, domestic disputes, suicidal behaviour are sent to the CFO at the discretion of the police.

I do not believe we (licence holders ) are run threw a big mega computer every day. it would jam up the system with almost 2 million licence holders.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Bigbubba's Avatar
    I wouldn't worry about them coming after your PAL.

If you end up in front of a Judge who prohibits you from owning a firearm, they are also going to suspend your PAL.
    But given you are in front of a Judge, you are likely a law breaker anyway and wont care that you don't have a PAL.

Any truth to this??????
    Why? Did you get into trouble?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bacardi View Post
    Why? Did you get into trouble?
    No, just asking. Like I said, I was reviewing a bunch of videos on youtube. One of them looked like it was made by a firearms school and this was mentioned in the video.

The instructor in the video said that "Basically, once you have a PAL, your rights to privacy are now limited seeing as the RCMP and other law enforcement are allowed to run background checks whenever they want".

The reason I found this interesting is because I'm a pretty private person. I do not, nor have I ever, owned a cellphone. I always found these to be too intrusive, simply by viewing how friends behave with their own cellphones. They're always on them, their wives have to know where they are every second so they're always calling them, texting them. Stuff like that.

I've never been in any trouble with the police, so for me, it's a moot point. Just an observation.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Got Juice?'s Avatar
    CPIC, BCPrime....
    Envy green is not a color well worn. Might want to quit while you're ahead

No, just asking. Like I said, I was reviewing a bunch of videos on youtube. One of them looked like it was made by a firearms school and this was mentioned in the video.

The instructor in the video said that "Basically, once you have a PAL, your rights to privacy are now limited seeing as the RCMP and other law enforcement are allowed to run background checks whenever they want".

The reason I found this interesting is because I'm a pretty private person. I do not, nor have I ever, owned a cellphone. I always found these to be too intrusive, simply by viewing how friends behave with their own cellphones. They're always on them, their wives have to know where they are every second so they're always calling them, texting them. Stuff like that.

I've never been in any trouble with the police, so for me, it's a moot point. Just an observation.
    The police can do a background check on you regardless if you have a PAL.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast