Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are you allowed to fire military surplus ammo in the range ?

Winter clothing can make it enjoyable shooting. Tight groups at -10, 20, 30 40. HA,HA.

Should try a couple boxes before you talk, try 7.62x51 non corrosive 147grain cooper washed. Not as good as hand loads, but you will be impressed. The Cold war is over Buddy.

What about steel jacketed bullets? MFS is copper washed steel jacketed.
    I saw someone post a video and I noticed a sign on the wall beside him saying "absolutely no MFS ammunition" he was in an indoor range. Probably a safe bet that steel jacket isn't allowed either then?
    Where I shoot its not an issue but I'm still curious. I like my 9mm MFS ammo

Quote Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
    What about steel jacketed bullets? MFS is copper washed steel jacketed.
    I saw someone post a video and I noticed a sign on the wall beside him saying "absolutely no MFS ammunition" he was in an indoor range. Probably a safe bet that steel jacket isn't allowed either then?
    Where I shoot its not an issue but I'm still curious. I like my 9mm MFS ammo
    Steel is Steel, Whether it's in the core OR the jacket.

INDOOR Ranges don't usually let you shoot steel. It's quite simple.

Those steel jacketed 7.62x39's will penetrate through almost anything you can find on a farm.
    I shot through a brake rotor last weekend. Yeah, not the smartest idea but I wanted to see just how much it would penetrate.

I don't blame indoor ranges for banning this stuff at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    Steel is Steel, Whether it's in the core OR the jacket.

INDOOR Ranges don't usually let you shoot steel. It's quite simple.

Those steel jacketed 7.62x39's will penetrate through almost anything you can find on a farm.
    I shot through a brake rotor last weekend. Yeah, not the smartest idea but I wanted to see just how much it would penetrate.

I don't blame indoor ranges for banning this stuff at all.
    Fair enough, as TSE said then if the bullet is magnetic it's a no go, that fully explains the "no mfs" sign I saw in the video.

Thanks, Fred

CGN Ultra frequent flyer luke s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by proonur View Post
    Define "cheap".
    You can get soft point 7.62 x 39 ammo made by Prvi Partizan from some gun shops, but it cost me $18 per 20 rounds last time I found some at P&D in Edmonton. Never seen any in Calgary.
    I guess you could get some brass and reload it with lead bullets, but that surplus stuff is berdan primed and can't be reloaded--- good luck.
    surplus costs 20 cents or less, or 5x less than prvi

next cheapest solution would be to pull the surplus projectiles and replace with normal jacketed bullets, but it would take time

you wouldnt really want to shoot lead in a semi rifle......

Quote Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
    Fair enough, as TSE said then if the bullet is magnetic it's a no go, that fully explains the "no mfs" sign I saw in the video.

Thanks, Fred
    Just to add to that, Ferrous metal is Magnetic. Ferrous is the presence of iron. Iron and Carbon make an alloy metal called Steel.

However, Some types of stainless steel are non-magnetic because of the Nickel content.

So, To say "If the bullet is magnetic it's a no go" may not be a good term. But I HIGHLY doubt a company will use a stainless jacket in a bullet... Hahaha.

Anyway.. Not ranting, Just a little info.

I was a little Pissed off when someone that worked at Cabela's told a friend of mine that the cartridges he was looking at were a non steel jacket/steel core, and would be safe to use at a range that doesn't allow steel.
    I told him to find a magnet and check for himself, JUST to be sure. He didn't and wasted $15 for a box of 20 rounds.

If you're ever going to look at ammo in a retail store, and you plan on shooting indoors, I'd bring a little keychain magnet. Never take someone's word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post
    We are concerned with what the magnet does to the BULLET! Steel cases are fine as they have no impact on our backstop or baffles.

If a magnet sticks to the bullet you cannot shoot it here!

JR

InsanSh, this quoted text is from the Shooting Edge owner, and that is your final answer.

Steel casings- FINE.
    Steel core/ bullet- PROHIBITED.

Yeah... Steel core.
    Cheap, but the bane of steel back stops and steel targets..

Despite warnings there's always some tool who doesn't know/understand what "No steel core ammo please" means.

These are MGM Auto-Poppers... Made from AR500 steel.
    The holes... 'Courtesy of someone either ignoring or not understanding "No steel core ammo please"

They're pretty much scrap now

Bernie Rhodes knows. Don't Argue

My range has had a ban on steel core ammo for a few months because of fire threats. We actually had a slow-burn fire start out at the 200 yard line in an old stump piled with branches and stuff. So I can say for a fact that fires can result from steel core ammo, it's not just paranoia. They also totally obliterate steel targets, which is really annoying when some jerk on the firing line doesn't understand manners and unloads some cheap surplus garbage out of his AR into your nice steel swinging targets.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast