Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are you allowed to fire military surplus ammo in the range ?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer beltfed's Avatar
    two issues:
    1) damage to the backstop
    2) fire hazard

Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    Steel core or steel jacket? A magnet will pick up either, and you won't know which you have. There are softpoint bullets which use plated steel jackets. Can't see that a steel jacket would be any harder on a backstop than a guilding metal one.
    Steel jackets likely won't affect the backstop, but they could cause sparks, which in turn, could start a fire.

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    We are concerned with what the magnet does to the BULLET! Steel cases are fine as they have no impact on our backstop or baffles.

If a magnet sticks to the bullet you cannot shoot it here!

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

Out doors is fine,

this is one of my main issues when considering buying a membership at TSE. I mainly shoot 7.62x39. is there a source for "cheap" ammo that could be fired indoors.

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_law View Post
    this is one of my main issues when considering buying a membership at TSE. I mainly shoot 7.62x39. is there a source for "cheap" ammo that could be fired indoors.
    Not that we know of.
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

Greater Metropolitan Kemptville, People's Republic of Ontario, Occupied Canada and Cottonwood, ##
    pretty much all indoor ranges ban the firing of steel bulleted ammunition because of the backstop issues.
    Stripped of pretensions, a crime is anything that a group in power chooses to prohibit - Freda Adler (abbreviated)
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke
    NFA, CSSA, NRA Life, ICORE, IDPA, AZ CCW, AZCDL. You can never get enough training...

Quote Originally Posted by marshall_law View Post
    Define "cheap".
    You can get soft point 7.62 x 39 ammo made by Prvi Partizan from some gun shops, but it cost me $18 per 20 rounds last time I found some at P&D in Edmonton. Never seen any in Calgary.
    I guess you could get some brass and reload it with lead bullets, but that surplus stuff is berdan primed and can't be reloaded--- good luck.
    1 In the beginning there was the 1911, and the 1911 was good. And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not mess with my disciple John's design for it is good and it workith. For John made the 1911, and lo all of his firearms, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain."

If a guy was really really desperate I am sure you could pick up a mould to make some lead bullets.....but assuming its semi auto that would be some mad bullet making and loading especially when you will likely only find half you casings after they eject halfway across the room LOL

Do like the rest of us do. Shoot the hell outta the outdoor range when its nice out and shoot your other guns at TSE when the weather sucks...... you do have other guns dont you? if not go to TSE they will help you :D
    Proud member of the CSSA

the problem is the shooting edge it the closest to me .. outdoor ranges are too far away for me

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast