Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 791011121314151617181920212223242527 ... LastLast

Thread: SHOT SHOW 2010 - EMA Tactical (ex-CAA) Glock Carbine Kit

CGN Ultra frequent flyer blaxsun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Questar View Post
    Upload some pictures... I'm curious if you got one of the new final production versions or if you got sent one of the earlier pre-production versions before they incorporated their most recent changes. The units at the SHOT show for example were NOT production versions.
    Mark
    I'm fairly certain this is the final production version. Just from a comparison of the original installation video this model now has pins in the front/rear to hold the pieces that slide in/out and a hinged cover instead of one that separates. There are probably some other minor improvements but I didn't do a close enough examination of the video.

"Before me things create were none, save things Eternal,
    and eternal I endure. All hope abandon ye who enter here."
    Tune in next week... Same
    Bat time, same Bat channel.

Quote Originally Posted by pc9 View Post
    How the heck did you get yours before Questar?
    I'm very creative... Here's a quick comparison between a Hera-Arms GCC (G17) and CAA/EMA RONI (G19). I swapped them around in the second photo so people could see they're approximately the same size (the perspective in the photo can be a bit misleading). The LOP on the GCC is slightly longer than the RONI (even with the stock extended).

Quote Originally Posted by blaxsun View Post
    I got my CAA/EMA RONI today!!
    Should I bask and gloat for a while longer or quit being an
    a** and upload some pictures?

It was 1.5 hours and no pics.... I guess you've answered the A$$ part...

{edit} Ok Duh, I see the pics.... but lets see the slide pull!!!!
    Last edited by RedDuc; 03-03-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Uhg.... I messed up...

Quote Originally Posted by RedDuc View Post
    It was 1.5 hours and no pics.... I guess you've answered the A$$ part...
    Hey, be nice! I did upload a few; I wanted to play around with it, take some more pictures and do a quick writeup with info on the installation.

The CAA/EMA RONI Glock conversion kit as it arrives out-of-the-box (installation instructions included by not shown).

By default (like the Hera GCC), the RONI is configured for a Glock 19. To work with a standard model you remove the grip,
    remove the bolt from the lower rail and slide the barrel shroud out to the next position. Note: I had a Glock 19 and didn't
    need to perform this step.

The front pin pops out - allowing you to slide the forward piece to the left.

Extend the rear stock.

The rear pin pops out as well - then you slide the rear piece to the right. Note: That isn't a defect on the stock - it's gun oil.
    Lots of gun oil. The RONI swims in it. And I thought the Norincos were bad (no wonder it ships in a sealed bag!) ...

The top cover swings open to the bottom on a hinge. Note: the hinged cover and pins are design improvements.

This is the ambidextrous charging handle that attaches to the Glock by sliding into the grooves in the rear of the slide.
    Note: This is a very tight fit, so I recommend taking it slow to avoid marring the finish on the slide.

The Glock is inserted in the space provided. Note: I preferred the original design where the cover lifted off completely
    as opposed to the hinge design; the cover is kind of in the way and it's a bit tedious to work around it at times.

The top cover just snaps shut.

Slide the forward and rear pieces back towards the centre and push the pins back in. Voila!

Apparently this is some sort of trigger guard/safety which is supposed to be engaged before sliding the parts back together
    in the previous step... (Oops...! Do as I say - not as I do!)

A view of the other side showing the ejection port and typical wear on my after-market barrel.

CAA/EMA RONI - First impressions.
    Out of the box the RONI looks pretty menacing. It definitely has a futuristic/high-tech look going for it. The polymer is very high-grade with a matte/textured finish for the most part (there are a few parts on the grip and stock that they went high gloss for some unknown reason...).

Installation is fairly straight-forward, though it does involve a few more minor steps than the original video would indicate (more so if you have a standard Glock).

The stock has a slide button in the rear and extends and contracts pretty smoothly. The grip is unique in its' own way, but the sides fit too tightly against the stock and you can see the marks on the polymer just from shipping.

The RONI feels good with the stock collapsed and expanded (I'm medium build/length). I banged my wrist into the magazine holder a few times so hopefully this is due more to my unfamiliarity.

In terms of comparisons with the Hera-Arms GCC, it's hard to do a direct comparison since the Hera GCC is designed to be more semi-permanent (the Glock blends into the design a lot more with the GCC than the RONI). Installation time is about the same (<1-2 minutes). The quality of the RONI is not on par with the Hera GCC, either - although it exceeded my expectations from CAA.

The RONI is also noticeably heavier, and there's more 'play' in the body (due to a combination of the grip and extendable stock). That being said, the RONI comes with a lot of features: removable grip, 4 rails, mag holder and expandable stock. One of the biggest selling points of the RONI over the GCC is that you don't have to remove the rear sights, so converting your Glock back to a pistol is easier than with the GCC.

I like each for different reasons, and despite the different LOP's on both - find them very comparable to shoulder in many respects. Comments/questions welcome.

Seems they both have good and bad points. The Hera kit pretty much makes you have a dedicated Glock or atleast a dedicated upper (fine with me) as changing the sights back and forth is no good.

That Roni slide attachment thingy slides on the uppers grooves? So I guess it will not work on the newer Glocks with the chevron grooves?

Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    Seems they both have good and bad points. The Hera kit pretty much makes you have a dedicated Glock or atleast a dedicated upper (fine with me) as changing the sights back and forth is no good.
    That's more or less my take as well. The Hera GCC is designed to be more semi-permanent, but it's also stronger, lighter and more compact than the RONI. And I can mount a light on the side and still have it take up less space. The 2 sling mounts are also a big plus.

That Roni slide attachment thingy slides on the uppers grooves? So I guess it will not work on the newer Glocks with the chevron grooves?
    Nope - not unless you want to epoxy it.

Thanks for the pix, can you show some other angles on that charging handle.
    top/back/underneath?

Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDuc View Post
    Thanks for the pix, can you show some other angles on that charging handle.
    top/back/underneath?
    Thx.
    Absolutely - I'll upload some later today. Any other aspects/angles you'd like?