Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SHOT SHOW 2010 - Granite Tactical Personal Shelter

SHOT SHOW 2010 - Granite Tactical Personal Shelter

I am not a gear-do so I might be very behind in technology - but I dream of having one of this. Open the bag, toss it out and voila - here comes the shelter!

Apparently 5000 were sold to the CF, and they were delivered to afghan directly because the insect repellent chemical(Permethrin ) is not approved in Canada.

Last edited by greentips; 01-23-2010 at 03:26 PM.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

Now, life is easier - and the spare space in the ruck will fit one of these. General Dynamics light weight 50 BMG - the offspring of the XM25. I can one-man lift the entire setup with the tri-pod - the receiver is only 40lb.

The thing works in similar fashion to the Ultimax LMG apparently.

wow i like that shelter.....do you have any idea of the price? and if they will make one that is available for Canada.
    "Tenacious and Versatile"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer angrysoldier's Avatar
    1 man is not going to drag that 50 anywhere. that tri pod weighs a lot, the ammo comes in 110 round boxes ( yea they are heavy) and as far as the guns goes, it dident fair too well againt the 100 year old 50 cal m2. i'll stick to my 50 cal long before that new " light weight" one.
    dont sweat the petty things, and dont pet the sweaty things

Quote Originally Posted by greentips View Post
    I am not a gear-do so I might be very behind in technology - but I dream of having one of this. Open the bag, toss it out and voila - here comes the shelter!

Apparently 5000 were sold to the CF, and they were delivered to afghan directly because the insect repellent chemical is not approved in Canada.
    That would be a very nice weekend hiking tent, I'll have to check and see if they make one without the insect repellent and hopefully it would be water proof.

Sounds nasty....

Toxicology and safety

Permethrin is extremely toxic to fish. Extreme care must be taken when using products containing permethrin near water sources. Permethrin is also highly toxic to cats.[7] Flea and tick repellent formulas intended (and labeled) for dogs may contain permethrin and cause feline permethrin toxicosis in cats.

Permethrin is classified by the US EPA a likely human carcinogen, based on reproducible studies in which mice fed permethrin developed liver and lung tumors.[8] Carcinogenic action in nasal mucosal cells for inhalation exposure is suspected due to observed genotoxicity in human tissue samples, and in rat livers the evidence of increased preneoplastic lesions lends concern over oral exposure.[9][10]

Recent studies have linked permethrin exposure to Parkinson's disease, including very small (per kg.) exposures. [11][12]

The use of the substance has been restricted by the US government, although such restriction is outdated now [13]

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownjoe View Post
    wow i like that shelter.....do you have any idea of the price? and if they will make one that is available for Canada.
    The particular model that has Permethrin embedded into the material of the shelter has been prohibited for import by Agriculture Canada and Health Canada. MMI Outdoor mentioned they're working on an export model that is identical, only without Permethrin for the future. The ones acquired by the DND for CF troops in Afghanistan do not even enter Canada. They go straight to Afghanistan from the US.

The pricing was something like $120 USD without the optional fly pushing the total price over $200 USD.

BANNED
    I have that shelter but made by Tasmanian Tiger Gear in Germany, it has been out for God knows how long......

http://www.recon-company.com/TT_One_...57-1504-d.html

Actually I think that is the Australian version, though, that is even better, i use to have the Aussie version. Great product, and very useful.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rebel Rouser's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greentips View Post

Apparently 5000 were sold to the CF, and they were delivered to afghan directly because the insect repellent chemical(Permethrin ) is not approved in Canada.

Have one they are awesome.

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal"
    Colt Firearms advertising slogan.
    Diemaco #1 Fanboy

Permethrin

Did a little research on Permethrin. Nasty stuff! I'll take a tent please.
    Stupidity is its own punishment.
    “The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride,”
    ~Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskyy

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast