Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Bay Ammo Question

CGN Regular

Rifle Bay Ammo Question

Just a question that's had me scratching my head all weekend.

I took my SKS to TSE on Saturday hoping to fire off a few rounds but wasn't sure about ammo rules. The ammo I had was steel core 7.62x39. Not allowed to use steel core as it causes backstop damage, cool, fair enough. Their sandbox, their rules, I'm fine with that.

I saw on the website though that the rifle bay "[allows] shooters to use calibers up to .50 BMG at ranges of up to 50 yards"

--Here's my question--what the heck type of ammo could you use in .50 BMG that would do less damage than a 7.62x39? I know I'm a rookie but the physics just seem to point at a steel core 7.62 doing way less damage than any .50 round I've ever seen. Just looking for education here, not flaming anyone. I still love the pistol bays :D
    Thanks in advance for the education :D

because steel core is just that. a steel core. not lead core. which is what they would expect you to use if you were using a .50. they probably want all bullets to be a lead core so that it will mush on impact not penetrate. even a .50 will mush on impact.

but hey what do i know go try it for yourself and let us know how it goes :D
    if we all used the search function what would we have to talk about-me

maybe a 50 in handgun lol, steel core will go through most backstops like they were butter

CGN Regular
    Ah okay. I still figured that a lead .50 would do more damage than a steel core 7.62 but I have no real world clue. Just curious.

I heard it is a fire issue. Steel core creates sparks.
    Ruger 10/22 w/ bull barrell, tapco stock
    Mossberg Maverick 88 w/ATI fold over
    Russian SKS
    CZ 858-2
    CIL 30-06
    Enfield M1917

CGN Ultra frequent flyer just having some fun's Avatar
    some clubs also have a limit on the speed
    and some on speed and type of jacket ie no full jacket
    and some have handgun ammo only ie 44 rem mag in rifle ok
    some clubs also have restrictions on shotguns
    just ask

CGN Regular
    Like I said above, I have no problem with their rules, just curious is all. I should have my membership at an outdoor range soon and I'll be able to shoot the SKS there.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer pizdets17's Avatar
    Im looking to do the same, just got the crate of ammo, SKS in the mail . Which range?

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Like I said above, I have no problem with their rules, just curious is all. I should have my membership at an outdoor range soon and I'll be able to shoot the SKS there.

CGN Regular
    MVMA...hoping to pick up a crate of ammo on Saturday. I found a local place that has cases of 1200 in stock for $200. I saw that SFRC has 'em for $189.95 for 1200 but the $10 difference is fine for me to shop local. Plus, I have no idea what shipping would be.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer pizdets17's Avatar
    Got 1120 for 199 at Wholesale SPorts yesterday. MVMA?

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    MVMA...hoping to pick up a crate of ammo on Saturday. I found a local place that has cases of 1200 in stock for $200. I saw that SFRC has 'em for $189.95 for 1200 but the $10 difference is fine for me to shop local. Plus, I have no idea what shipping would be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast