Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Restricted on your own Property

Shooting Restricted on your own Property

A friend of mine has about 15 acres of land in a somewhat secluded area of Ontario (surrounded by cattle farms, bush, forest).

-In the municipality he lives in he can discharge weapons on his property (just as long as he is not annoying his neighbours); however, could he discharge restricted weapons on his property?
    -If yes, could I discharge restricted weapons on his property?

Thanks,

Super Moderator
    Absolutely!
    As long as there is a CFO range approved for the discharge of restricted firearms.

Best thing to do is to call CFC and ask. If you are going to put in a range, there is a range guidline on the RCMP website.

Why couldnt you discharge it on your own property if theres no bylaw aganist it, your ATT covers your own property and you shouldnt need a 'CFO approved range' I am saying this from a person pissed off at the politics of this situations not as a person who knows as well as the CFC so I would call them.

But what is with this BS and shooting a restricted on your own property needing an approved range, please tell us what you find.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Try using the search function, this topic gets covered every week.

An ATT has nothing to do with "shooting". It's an "Authorization to Transport".

You can't fire a restricted firearm outside of an approved range.

http://canadiangunnutz.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=434423
    http://canadiangunnutz.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=405579

I figured and I shouldn't add to a thread that is problem a repeater but its just the largest pain in the ass to hear about the ATT problems and now I even realize that its illegal to shoot my own gun on my own property, whats so dangerous about a handgun compared to a rifle being shot on my property?

This makes no sense at all.

Restricted's can only be shot at CFO approved gun ranges.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    They claim to be intellectuals, yet cannot get their minds around the fact that they are shifting the responsibility of crime to an inanimate object.

Curious but what law do you violate by firiing on your property then because last time I checked there was no 'discharging a restricted firearm not at an approved range' in the criminal code

Super Moderator
    As far as taking your restricted to buddy's property to shoot it, an ATT would be necessary. Read your ATT. Would this be covered?
    There is a legal definition of what a residence is, and the acreage where the residence is located is not it. An ATT is required to remove the restricted from the residence.
    It might be possible to shoot the firearm from within the residence.
    A couple of months ago, laddie was in this area shooting his pistol in a cottage country situation. Someone heard shots, dropped a dime on him. Police attended, laddie was charged. No ATT.
    Folks are free to do as they choose. And that includes the freedom to deal with any consequences.

CGN frequent flyer
    Call your CFO. It's different for some areas. Some municipalities have bylaws that specify where you can and cannot discharge given classifications of firearms.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast