Thread: Shorten PAL Approval Times

Quote Originally Posted by Valaden View Post
    First post. Here's my timeline for a Quebec application:
    Sent my RPAL on 05/18
    Application signed for and received on 05/20
    Application showed up online on 06/08

Called the RCMP and was told I had information missing. Apparently sending in a photocopy of the card you get for passing the CFSC in Quebec is ok(they don't even send you the paper form anyway) but it's not ok for the CRFSC. I only sent photocopies of the cards. Woe is me. Had to fax it in today and the lady said it could take up for 2 weeks for the faxes to be processed.

Funny enough both my cards were scanned on the same page and the rest of the page was used to elaborate on one of the questions. They didn't mention missing the CFSC results but did mention not having the answer to the question - which are on the same page..
    Update on June 9th: After sending the report and the answer to question 5C by fax yesterday, application had changed to "Your application has completed initial processing." I figured sweet they got everything they need and called in to make sure. Apparently they received the CFSC results(form 332) but never got question 5C.. which came in the same fax. That's the second time this thing magically vanishes. Faxed again this morning.

Just to add my experience to the thread, I'm in Ontario, I applied for a PAL and RPAL
    I sent my forms and photo etc into the RCMP May 6 - 2016 by priority post with signature option
    RCMP signed for the package May 12th
    My Visa Card was charged on May 31st, I noticed this on June 2nd and logged into the RCMP Application status page and found the message that my application was being processed.
    I waited 28 days for the standard wait period to expire and then called into the RCMP centre at 1-800-731-4000 today June 10th in the morning. I gave them my name, address, DOB and the application number that I had copied down from the Status Page. The woman was very professional and friendly, she explained that everything was processed but since this was a Restricted Application I would need one reference to be contacted. She offered that I could Expedited the Process by having one of my named references call in. She provided me with an extension number for the reference to call back with.
    My reference called the RCMP around noon and provided the reference number and gave the reference.
    I checked the status system this evening around 6pm, and it indicated that my Licence was approved and should arrive to me within 2 weeks.

That was the process. Thanks to everyone who came before on the Forum for the help, I suspect that I shaved weeks off the wait time by calling in and following the process. My local club has an orientation day coming up this month and I have some vacation coming up this summer so I am looking forward to shopping for a gun and getting started at the range soon.

Good luck to everyone!

I have a question concerning upgrading a PAL with an RPAL in the Quebec system:

When filing your application, do you need to include proof of your regular PAL? Or should the number provided on the application form be adequate for evidence? I'm obviously going to send them proof of the CRFSC and Bill 9 courses; I just don't know if it's necessary to go out and get a page printed with my PAL scanned onto it since I should already be in the system.

CGN frequent flyer
    I called before I upgraded mine. I was told to put "yes" to passing the CFSC, and leave a note saying my CFSC was X months ago and the results should be on file at Miramichi. I did not include a CFSC test result with my uupgrade, just the CRFSC results.

You also provide your PAL on the first page of the application when upgrading. So that alone is enough proof you've satisfied the requirements of the CFSC to get a pal. The "it's on file with you guys" is just to fill out forms in their entirety (so they aren't rejected for not being filled out fully.

It's also a $40 (not the full $80. Cost $100 with pal / rpal separate by a few months) to upgrade depending how long ago your PAL was approved. I'd phone and check for the time limit. I believe it was 6 months.
    Last edited by dacron; 06-11-2016 at 01:28 PM.

I am from Calgary Alberta, I took the PAL/RPAL course last month. I mailed my papers and payment in on 2016/05/17, they received it on 2016/05/19. (I sent it with a tracking number)

It took about 2 weeks before it showed up on the tracking website.
    less then 30 days later (today) 2016/06/16 they called my references and changed the status to "your application has been processed and your licence has been issued. If you have not received your licence within 2 weeks please contact the Canadian Firearms Program Toll Free number."

so looks like it will be under 45 days from when it was sent in to when I receive it.... Pretty damn good.

Time to start looking for which guns to buy first. :-)

Had not received my R.P.A.L. renewal papers of february, so i called the cfc and THEY said''you should have by now''so WE will send them (Expires in mid may) papers rec'd mar.7. I filled out the renewal,new photo, AND MY $ 80..... mailed morning of march.8.(next day)

finally issued and''sent'' by the B.C. CFO office(To cfc to be printed)THIS WEEK........ lived same place with same wife almost 30 years.......same mid island gun club over 10 years........ have had restricted firearms since '84 or so in B.C.

Missed the last of the bear season ---no firearms licence...... Guess it took so long just because !!!
    Remember the SALMON ARM SALUTE at least P.E.T. was not a cry-baby like his kid.

As a followup, my RPAL/PAL arrived June 20th which is exactly 44 days from the day I sent it by courier, or 38 days from the date that they received it and signed for it, to the date it arrived back in my mailbox. Very efficient process and thanks to the forum for the steps so that I called in and didn't wait around for the references, that made all the difference. Cheers

I took and passed my PAL course last April. Currently it's been almost 14 months since my application was recieved and credit card was charged. I waited the 28 days and have been calling in once a month since then, never getting any answers for the most part and have discovered that there are some extremely rude and self centered people working there, but at the same time some of the call centre employees are amazing to deal with.

I had a past weapons prohibition but waited more then the required time.

It took them 12 months to suddenly have a CFO call me and say I cannot challenge the course and I wasted my time and will have to take the full course because of my prohibition. I did NOT challenge my course. I sat through the entire thing and watched all the movies and answered all the questions and took all of the tests. They made me get ahold of the instructor and get another copy of the course approval which I did and faxed in. I was finally able to verify that they successfully received that and still havent had any updates in over a month.

14 months of waiting and i'm feeling pretty insulted and neglected with the system. I am at a loss. I am in Alberta.

New Applicant in BC RPAL\PAL

May 12/22 - Training completed
    May 24th - Application sent Express Post
    May 27th - Signed for in MIRAMICHI
    June 13th - Appeared online
    June 15th - Called in and got extension number for 1 reference to call in, they did not need to interview me.
    June 17th - Called in and was told everything is good with the application and it has been sent to BC CFO for final processing.

June 23rd - 28th Application Day - Still in processing - I was hoping it would be approved at this point as my local club requires an orientation day prior to be given full access and the last orientation day before summer is Sun June 26th. If I missed this I would not be able to access the club until the fall and I would still pay the full membership fee.
    June 24th - 29th Application Day - Called in - Transferred to the BC CFO and it turned out that there was a missing signature from my wife (Not sure how this was missed) they asked to speak to her and then approved the app and gave me my licence #.

From BC, I don't remember the exact timeline, but I just got my R/PAL last week. Overall process took about 6 weeks. When they finally loaded the information on the website until the time I got approved, it was maybe 2 weeks. So... them receiving and processing the details took about 4 weeks?

In any case, when I called to query about my status, they said it will speed up the process if I got my references to call them up for a phone interview ASAP. So once you have your reference number, tell your references to give them a call. Could shave off a lot time.