Thread: Shorten PAL Approval Times

my timeline for first time PAL and RPAL (Calgary, AB)
    03/31 - application received in Miramichi, NB
    04/19 - application showed online, called in to get file numbers and reference called
    04/28 - your application has been processed and your licence has been issued

My timeline for R/PAL live in Los Angeles but have property in Ontario (Canadian citizen)
    3/21 Took courses in AZ from a Snowbird who teaches in AB
    3/31 application received in by RCMP
    4/18 billed CC
    4/19 appeared online
    4/23 called and asked if they needed references to call
    4/27 reference called in (5 minute call)

That's it as of now, thought I might have it issued today ��

just went from a pal to a r/pal. Did the r/pal test last june 2015. Finally sent the paper work in feb 2016. Took 3 months to receive the r/pal.. Now in my wallet. let the shopping begin..

Timeline here in Edmonton, Alberta:

PAL: 3/19/2016
    RPAL: 3/20/2016
    Application sent Via ExpressPost to Miramichi: 3/31/2016
    Signed for/ Received at Mirimichi: 1/04/2016
    Not online after two weeks- Called in: 15/04/2016- Was told they had bit of a backlog and they were trying their level best to get through it ( Very Politely )
    Appeared Online/ CC Charged 19/04/2014: Called in to see if they needed to interview me at all. They said no- I was all good and I only needed one of my references to call in.
    Reference ( 1 only) Called in- 5 minute interview: 25/04/2016- I called in to see if all went well and if there was anything more needed- they said it was all good and to check back once I hit day 28 ( Today)
    Day 28 Exactly: Application Received on: 2016/04/01- Current Status: Your application has been processed and your licence has been issued. If you have not received your licence within 2 weeks please contact the Canadian Firearms Program Toll Free number. (1-800 731-4000)

Whoo Hoo!
    Now the fun and shopping begins! Okay well it already has... got a couple of new toys sitting in a backroom waiting for the Fun Card to arrive in the mail!

I found the whole process (almost) went off with out a hitch and all the people I spoke with at the RCMP/ CFP were polite and very helpful. A big shout out to all here on CGN that answered all my annoying nOOb application questions! Now you're going to have to endure all my N00b Shooter questions!

See ya on the Range!

CGN Regular
    Update (Ontario):
    03/30: Express posted PAL and RPAL application to Miramichi, NB
    03/31: Received and signed for in Miramichi, NB
    04/15: Still not searchable online, phoned RCMP, was told it could take between 4-5 weeks for anything to appear online.
    04/18: Became searchable online, card charged. I called and asked if I had missed anything, was told no and that a reference could call in. Reference called in and was interviewed.
    04/25: Called in requesting an update, women on the phone said from what she could tell my license would be issued on April 27th at the end of the mandatory 28 day waiting period.
    04/27: Checked online status at 7PM, no change. Planned too call in on the following day.
    04/28: Checking online around 5AM, status had changed to license issued overnight (obviously automated). Called in at 9AM and was given my PAL number and expiry. Joined a range and put a Glock 17 on hold pending receipt of my license.

Thank you CGN. For hopefuls, follow this thread to the letter and be the squeaky wheel. That being said, from what I can see the RCMP do a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by jza View Post
    Update (Ontario):
    03/30: Express posted PAL and RPAL application to Miramichi, NB
    03/31: Received and signed for in Miramichi, NB
    04/15: Still not searchable online, phoned RCMP, was told it could take between 4-5 weeks for anything to appear online.
    04/18: Became searchable online, card charged. I called and asked if I had missed anything, was told no and that a reference could call in. Reference called in and was interviewed.
    04/25: Called in requesting an update, women on the phone said from what she could tell my license would be issued on April 27th at the end of the mandatory 28 day waiting period.
    04/27: Checked online status at 7PM, no change. Planned too call in on the following day.
    04/28: Checking online around 5AM, status had changed to license issued overnight (obviously automated). Called in at 9AM and was given my PAL number and expiry. Joined a range and put a Glock 17 on hold pending receipt of my license.

Thank you CGN. For hopefuls, follow this thread to the letter and be the squeaky wheel. That being said, from what I can see the RCMP do a great job.
    You lucked out, my application was recieved April 1 and I'm still stuck on initial processing complete.
    My references had interviews on April 20, I called back to make sure all is good and was told I look good for issuing on the 28th. Will keep my fingers crossed.

Hey folks, looking for some advice here. I royally screwed up. Essentially. I got my reference to call in and when they asked them whether they had signed my application form and my reference said no. This is because I was out of town and signed it for them. When they said no the RCMP ended the interview. This was obviously a stupid oversight on my part and I should have had my reference physically sign the form.

Any advice? Am I screwed?

Should I bother getting my other reference to call in? Should I call in and explain that I messed up?

Thanks

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by shumster View Post
    Hey folks, looking for some advice here. I royally screwed up. Essentially. I got my reference to call in and when they asked them whether they had signed my application form and my reference said no. This is because I was out of town and signed it for them. When they said no the RCMP ended the interview. This was obviously a stupid oversight on my part and I should have had my reference physically sign the form.

Any advice? Am I screwed?

Should I bother getting my other reference to call in? Should I call in and explain that I messed up?

Thanks
    Wow that's an ugly one... I didn't have my refrence sign and I didn't sign in there place, they just sent it back to me asking for a signature or a new refrence that could sign. Forgeing a signature is a federal offense on a govnt document. Now the diffrence will be if they just move on to another refrence of if they wanna make an example of it. No one will be able to give you a hard and fast answer here it's going to be a wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxer2373 View Post
    Wow that's an ugly one... I didn't have my refrence sign and I didn't sign in there place, they just sent it back to me asking for a signature or a new refrence that could sign. Forgeing a signature is a federal offense on a govnt document. Now the diffrence will be if they just move on to another refrence of if they wanna make an example of it. No one will be able to give you a hard and fast answer here it's going to be a wait and see.
    Yes, I realize that it was a totally dumb overzealous thing to forge a signature.

What i'm wondering now is whether I should call in and come clean. Explain that I made a mistake and offer to resubmit and application?

Thanks for the reply

Update: I called the RCMP and explained to them the entire situation. Told them that I screwed up and forged the signatures. They said they will just send a document for the references to re-sign. No harm done. Thank goodness. Lesson learned
    Last edited by shumster; 05-02-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Update: Alberta 113 days for PAL to get approved