Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 1895SBL

BANNED
    Why didn't they make the top rail and front sight in stainless to continue the beautiful theme and look......looks horrible in black only reason I haven't bought one and never will

CGN Regular
    They are hard to find. I ended up buying the only one available from an other retailer listed on CGN (london based)
    Paid a hefty SBL premium ($1,300) but its the one I wanted.
    Looks and fuctions just fine. Loading gate is a bit stiff but that should fix itself after a few rounds. Its a recent rifle with the QR code next to the serial number.
    I might polish it a bit. What compound to use?

Its now my official bear gun. Can'twait till spring
    Last edited by John Rambo; 01-15-2016 at 05:13 PM.

I bought mine from Shooter's Choice in Waterloo in December. They had second one in stock at that time.

Also, P&D Enterprises Enterprises lists it in stack as well.

I believe both are sponsors of this site as well.

I hate to agree with the second post but the fit and finish of this rifle is garbage ....thats putting it nicely i own one ...sadly it is not a reflection of the marlin name since remington took over the marlin lever actions have gone to complete junk ...the gun itself is great laminate stock stainless barrel ect ect but fit finish and functionality is absolutley junk ...sorry but it is true i have cleaned polished lubricated done just about everything i can ...i have tried it completely dry no such luck i paid 1300 dollars for a paper weight . stick to henry or others. now having totally crapped on this gun and the marlin name i will say this i own 2 of the ver best .22 rifles i have ever shot out of the box both marlin 795 one scoped one open sights with cci ammo i will hit 2' groups all day long with the open sights marlin is very good but remington makes this45-70 and clearly dont give a rats a$$ about it. i will make a video in september 2016 and post it onto youtube for people to see. its horrible.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer macguyver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul1shooter View Post
    I hate to agree with the second post but the fit and finish of this rifle is garbage ....thats putting it nicely i own one ...sadly it is not a reflection of the marlin name since remington took over the marlin lever actions have gone to complete junk ...the gun itself is great laminate stock stainless barrel ect ect but fit finish and functionality is absolutley junk ...sorry but it is true i have cleaned polished lubricated done just about everything i can ...i have tried it completely dry no such luck i paid 1300 dollars for a paper weight . stick to henry or others. now having totally crapped on this gun and the marlin name i will say this i own 2 of the ver best .22 rifles i have ever shot out of the box both marlin 795 one scoped one open sights with cci ammo i will hit 2' groups all day long with the open sights marlin is very good but remington makes this45-70 and clearly dont give a rats a$$ about it. i will make a video in september 2016 and post it onto youtube for people to see. its horrible.
    I bougt one a few years ago, knowing they had issues with ganky rifling, lifter not rising high enough to load, etc.. I looked at 4 of them before I found one that cycled nice, and had no issues known to be out there. Once I got it home, pulled the lever out and lightly filed down the sharp edges, put some rounds through it (about 40) and cleaned and lubed it. Runs like a dream.

I heard the retailer sent a couple back due to complaints. Getting to look before you buy (as opposed to internet purchasing), is the only way to go. I wouldn't pay the going rate now, paid $850 for it with a box of 405gr Federal, a scabbard and tax.

Quote Originally Posted by macguyver View Post
    I bougt one a few years ago, knowing they had issues with ganky rifling, lifter not rising high enough to load, etc.. I looked at 4 of them before I found one that cycled nice, and had no issues known to be out there. Once I got it home, pulled the lever out and lightly filed down the sharp edges, put some rounds through it (about 40) and cleaned and lubed it. Runs like a dream.

I heard the retailer sent a couple back due to complaints. Getting to look before you buy (as opposed to internet purchasing), is the only way to go. I wouldn't pay the going rate now, paid $850 for it with a box of 405gr Federal, a scabbard and tax.
    Good on ya for the diligence. I just want people to know i m not a grumpy miserable guy i just lost out on this...very poor quality from remington . im not bitter or mad and yes i bought it from the internet and truly regret it ...it should not be this way. it takes force to cycle the action it just feels wrong again i willdo a video when i get back home off contract .

CGN Regular
    The newer ones are just fine. If there's a QR code next to the serial you should be ok.
    Mine does and I have nothing to complain about.

Thnx guys

Our local retailer had an old stock (non-QR version) SBL last year and I grabbed it, cycled the action a couple times and the action actually stuck open!!! Couldn't close the lever... The employee stood it up and was hammering the lever with his fist.. I stopped him, and because I've had several Guides over the years, showed him where they stick on the inside. It was fine after that, but I wouldn't dare buy it. The finish was spotty and the hammer was actually so sharp on the edges, you could cut yourself. The action was crunchy and felt like it had high spots in it. It was horrible!!!!

I went in last month and he had a QR version, I played with it for a few minutes and I was very surprised. I would actually buy that gun... Fit and finish was great and the action was buttery smooth.

I'd say, if you can't find and older pre-remmy, go for a brand new one.

Mine had all the cuttings from drilling in the drilled holes still. Looks like a high school machine shop made mine.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast