Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bad Year for the Edge

Jwirecom109; What would suggest they do?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Jwirecom109's Avatar
    I am not looking to suggest anything to the Edge, JR is great business owner and the edge runs its store very well, and i am sure they will come up with some great ideas to increase security. All I am asking is for them to tell us what they are. I don't expect an answer today, this week, but maybe something needs to be done, to increase security and safety.

I have nothing against the Edge or JR. I don't go there anymore for my own reasons.
    Hell maybe with some changes can bring back some of their customers, like myself that decided to leave.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer krausb's Avatar
    You are actually the only person that I have heard of that has let these unfortunate occurrences change his mind about membership. I'm not saying that you are alone; just saying that I don't think too many members dropped out because of this...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Sounds like you do have something against the "Edge" and that something drove you away to a different range...

What is different at the other range?

No Walk in's?

Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post
    Sounds like you do have something against the "Edge" and that something drove you away to a different range...

What is different at the other range?

No Walk in's?
    Firstly I just don't shoot there, i still do business there.
    I have recently (within the last couple months) taken my gun to them for work.
    and i have also bought many accessories from them.
    I just never like shooting with the public, i have seen alot of "new" shooters do things that are questionable there that i do not want to be apart of.
    And not always on the range, but when u get a group of 10-15 people all new shooters in there acting like dumbasses cause they are going to shoot some guys kinda leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
    I will still do business with them, i just will not shoot with them. I may in the future if i feel comfortable with the range again.

and the only two things that are different with the other range, which if u noticed i have not mentioned because i do respect that this is the TSE's forum. is that 1 no walkins (major thing) and 2 (very minor thing since i only own one) u can shoot mil surp.

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwirecom109 View Post
    nothing is beyond the control of a company. Policies in place limit the amount people can do and can get away with. I am not saying that the Edge is at fault, i am just asking what is the Edge going to do in the future to curve these things from happening. I have met the owner several times while i was a member he seemed like a good guy and the company ran very well, but things come up that do stop people from doing business with them. They are accountable for what happens in their store, even if they didn't do it themselves. So i just wanted to see what the Edge will do to increase the safety and security of the members that are still there.
    I agree with you 100%

I also agree with others that criticise on how things were done here in the past.

However, the changes that have been made in the past 6 months are enormous! For those that do not know, I bought out my partner and in doing so, I was freed to make all of the changes I wanted without opposition. Seeing is believing, so come by for a visit.

Major changes:

RO Training: Previously our Range Officers really got very little training. Now we have a “Chief Range Officer” which not only runs an RO training course and mentorship program for all staff, but helps oversee safety issues on a continuous basis.

Rules and Regulations: We have better marked and signed the facility.

Range briefings: We have codified our range briefings and have regular monitoring to ensure all the ROS are properly following the safest practices.

Suicide Prevention: Yes, there have been two suicides here. To help combat this we have run “Suicide Awareness” training for all of our staff. We also have implemented a policy where we do not let UNLICENSED individuals come in to shoot by themselves. They have to bring a buddy! Simply put; friends don’t bring friends to shoot them selves. This may not be a foolproof policy, but I think it is a very good step in the right direction.

Also, our dramatically increased RO training helps as there is a far reduced opportunity as the RO is right there and knows what to look for.

Cleanliness: The ranges have seen significant upgrades in lighting, target retrieval systems, shelving and soon; ventilation. From a safety perspective, things have never been brighter and better.

Facility upgrades: I have always wanted TSE to be the jewel range of Western Canada. When I bought Target Sports, I made a number of key changes and rebuilt the facility to the standards that I always wished TSE would have. Immediately after I became sole owner of TSE, I started making the same changes and policy implementations to meet the standards I believed we should be achieving. Most of the changes are now complete and I am very happy with the changes. Again, please come by or check out our FACEBOOK page as there are plenty of photos on FACEBOOK.

Inventory controls: While I am not going to go into detail on a public forum, I will tell you that there have been SIGNIFICANT changes in how we track and count for our inventory since I became the sole owner. Our last 100% inventory check was only 6 weeks ago and all issues we dutifully reported to the police. Most issues in general were administrative as well. Today we have closed our doors to conduct another one just to ensure that none of the firearms paraded last week by the police actually came form us without our knowledge.

I want to state publicly that the CFO’s office has been extremely helpful and respectful throughout all of our ordeals.

Yes, it’s been a tough year, but my staff and I are only going to be stronger because of it. With every step back, we have stopped, assessed and taken two steps forward.

Yes, anyone is free to join or not join any club they choose, but I challenge you to find a club that is more committed to safety and fun then us.

We are leaders, not followers!

With this comes the risk of sometimes everything not going our way. I accept this. However in saying this, if anyone has reasonable suggestions, I am all ears. Many of the fundamental changes we have made here are due to suggestions from our membership.

Sincerely,

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

Thanks JR for that.
    Sounds like you have made alot of changes to the way your range operates since the last time I have shot there.
    I wish you luck and good business.

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwirecom109 View Post
    Thanks JR for that.
    Sounds like you have made alot of changes to the way your range operates since the last time I have shot there.
    I wish you luck and good business.
    We have. Not just in policies, but the whole corporate culture here is different.

I invite you to come by on Sunday, July 25th after 6pm for our annual post-stampede BBQ for a Burger and a look around.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post
    We have. Not just in policies, but the whole corporate culture here is different.

I invite you to come by on Sunday, July 25th after 6pm for our annual post-stampede BBQ for a Burger and a look around.

JR
    I like that. Corporate culture, you don't hear it enough.
    I'll take you up on that offer if i am in town JR.
    Thanks again

CGN frequent flyer TheManInBlack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post
    I agree with you 100%

I also agree with others that criticise on how things were done here in the past.

However, the changes that have been made in the past 6 months are enormous! For those that do not know, I bought out my partner and in doing so, I was freed to make all of the changes I wanted without opposition. Seeing is believing, so come by for a visit.

Major changes:

RO Training: Previously our Range Officers really got very little training. Now we have a “Chief Range Officer” which not only runs an RO training course and mentorship program for all staff, but helps oversee safety issues on a continuous basis.

Rules and Regulations: We have better marked and signed the facility.

Range briefings: We have codified our range briefings and have regular monitoring to ensure all the ROS are properly following the safest practices.

Suicide Prevention: Yes, there have been two suicides here. To help combat this we have run “Suicide Awareness” training for all of our staff. We also have implemented a policy where we do not let UNLICENSED individuals come in to shoot by themselves. They have to bring a buddy! Simply put; friends don’t bring friends to shoot them selves. This may not be a foolproof policy, but I think it is a very good step in the right direction.

Also, our dramatically increased RO training helps as there is a far reduced opportunity as the RO is right there and knows what to look for.

Cleanliness: The ranges have seen significant upgrades in lighting, target retrieval systems, shelving and soon; ventilation. From a safety perspective, things have never been brighter and better.

Facility upgrades: I have always wanted TSE to be the jewel range of Western Canada. When I bought Target Sports, I made a number of key changes and rebuilt the facility to the standards that I always wished TSE would have. Immediately after I became sole owner of TSE, I started making the same changes and policy implementations to meet the standards I believed we should be achieving. Most of the changes are now complete and I am very happy with the changes. Again, please come by or check out our FACEBOOK page as there are plenty of photos on FACEBOOK.

Inventory controls: While I am not going to go into detail on a public forum, I will tell you that there have been SIGNIFICANT changes in how we track and count for our inventory since I became the sole owner. Our last 100% inventory check was only 6 weeks ago and all issues we dutifully reported to the police. Most issues in general were administrative as well. Today we have closed our doors to conduct another one just to ensure that none of the firearms paraded last week by the police actually came form us without our knowledge.

I want to state publicly that the CFO’s office has been extremely helpful and respectful throughout all of our ordeals.

Yes, it’s been a tough year, but my staff and I are only going to be stronger because of it. With every step back, we have stopped, assessed and taken two steps forward.

Yes, anyone is free to join or not join any club they choose, but I challenge you to find a club that is more committed to safety and fun then us.

We are leaders, not followers!

With this comes the risk of sometimes everything not going our way. I accept this. However in saying this, if anyone has reasonable suggestions, I am all ears. Many of the fundamental changes we have made here are due to suggestions from our membership.

Sincerely,

JR
    well said. I'd be a member if I lived out that way. we need more ranges like yours in Canada
    隱藏在自圓其說

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast