Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is there a legal minimum for barrel lengths on rifles and shotguns?

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    you can make (manufacture) a barrel any lengh you want. (if semi auto would be restricted under 18.5" though)
    Please define "manufacture" ?

AFAIK, at some point in the manufacturing process, there will be cutting involved, so when is a piece of tubing considered a full blown barrel ?

edit: partially answered by http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?912376-Remington-870-Barrel-too-Short though... it's a hell of a grey area...
    Last edited by x0ra; 06-17-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    This is what you said

That may not have whay you meant, but doesnt change the fact that that is what you said.

My point is dont make blanket statements that are untrue.

Shawn
    Read it again. How can it be illegal if its legally owned? If I have a NR PAL, my minimum legal length is determined by the class of firearm. If its 18", its illegal for me. But not for someone with an RPAL. If a firearm is prohibited because its barrel length is 105mm, then its illegal if you aren't licensed to possess it, but legal if you are. The point is simply that there is no single minimum 'legal' barrel length. It depends on circumstances not included in the question.

legal limits for non restricted rifles in canada

Actually, I have a 1892 lever action pistol , exactly the same one steve mcqueen had in wanted dead or alive. It has a 12 inch barrel, and an overall length of 23 inches, fires .44 mag center-fire rounds, and although it is considered a pistol in the u.s.a. In canada...it is considered a non-restricted rifle because the all mighty RCMP say you need two hands to cycle a round through to the chamber from the tubular magazine, when in fact, you can do this with one hand because of the extended tear drop lever. It is, in fact, the only exception to all the rules in canada. You are able to open carry this weapon in a holster on youre hip in plain view as long as it is not loaded. But you can carry the ammunition in a belt that is part of the same holster.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer farmer47's Avatar
    i am thinking we have the op wondering what he got himself into when he asked a simple question. it is a complicated mess, one with no easy answer and if you get it wrong you can end up in jail.

This has been a good thread, but I was wondering where they actually measure the barrel length from, I initially thought it would be from the
    receiver to barrel interface, but a little checking, and CBSA say they do this,

+++++

all other firearms are measured from the
    muzzle of the barrel up to and including the
    chamber, but not including the length of any
    part or accessory added to the barrel, including
    those designed or intended to suppress the
    muzzle flash or reduce the recoil, such as a
    flash suppressor (eliminator) or muzzle brake.

Is it legal to reduce the the barrel length to 16" rifle of a non-restricted rimfire 22 LR single shot?

Quote Originally Posted by ambungan61 View Post
    Is it legal to reduce the the barrel length to 16" rifle of a non-restricted rimfire 22 LR single shot?
    no, you cant cut a barrel below 18" without creating a prohibited firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by ambungan61 View Post
    Re barreled or from the manufacturer at that length for. 22 cal is fine providing the overall lenght of the firearm remains 660mm or more. Barrel length is not regulated unless it has been modified. You cannot have it cut down and modified to that length after the fact. Which is stupid, you can't tell me a good gunsmith couldn't properly machine you a short barrel from the factory long barrel vs buying a manufactured short barrel?

Last edited by johnathan.bartel; 11-29-2015 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    you can cut a semi auto centerfire down to 18.5"

you can cut a non semi, or rimfire down to 18"

you can make (manufacture) a barrel any lengh you want. (if semi auto would be restricted under 18.5" though)

so you can buy a factory 8" barrel pump action shotgun... but if you already had a long one you can only cut it down to 18".

the laws are retarded.
    So what about a rimfire semi auto like my cooey model 64b?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast