Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping rifles thru Canada Post

Shipping rifles thru Canada Post

Okay, I have been to Canada Post's website and even talked to them and get
    conflicting answers. I sure could use some clarification on a few things from
    those who have done this. First, can you ship a rifle using normal shipping and
    not expedited post. 2nd, do you have to actually put 2 pieces of wood on
    either side of the firearm to protect it(????) or can I use the factory cardboard
    Remington box that my gun came with. 3rd question that I have and it makes
    me uneasy but I am told that "non restricted firearm" must be put on the outside
    of the carton-would much rather I not advertise whats in the package but this
    is what I am being told. Finally, last question, do bullet tips count as dangerous goods
    or could they be put in the same box as the rifle(was part of the deal) Can someone out there help a newbie and give some mentoring advice on the best way to do things.

Thanks

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    First, do not tell them what is in the box

Second, pack it enough that you would feel comfortable throwing it down a flight of stairs.

Bullets are inert, and require no special treatment.

gun shipping

If you don't tell them what it is and it should get lost during shipping, how would
    you be able to claim the insurance on the package. I just am wondering if you
    would be exposing yourself to some risk but not declaring what it is. I have heard other CGN'rs say also to not tell them what it is. I only want to make
    sure I would not be on the hook legally if it did go missing and ended up in the
    "wrong hands" so to speak-maybe I worry too much.

Super Moderator
    I believe it is illegal to put "firearm" on the outside of the package.

Pack the thing well. Being chucked down a flight of steps is a good standard for packing. Make sure nothing is going to come loose inside the box, and that no pointy bits are going to wind up sticking out.
    Signature on delivery.
    Insure it.
    You are under no obligation to tell CP that you are mailing a fiream.

How many firearms do you think CanAm has mailed?

gun shipping

Here is part of the email that was sent to me when I contacted CP's customer
    service.
    This is where my confusion starts as you will see.

-Firearms (Including Imitation and Replica Firearms) have special restrictions on how or to whom they may be shipped. These items must be properly prepared and meet applicable requirements for mailing.

-The sender may ship restricted firearms, non-restricted firearms and prohibited handguns from one Canadian location to another Canadian location.

-When it is determined permissible to ship firearms, the item will need to be shipped using Expedited Parcel with Proof of Age with Signature for contract customers and Regular Parcel with Signature for non-contract customers.

- The package cover bears the information that it contains a non-restricted firearm.

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter mcgavin View Post
    If you don't tell them what it is and it should get lost during shipping, how would
    you be able to claim the insurance on the package. I just am wondering if you
    would be exposing yourself to some risk but not declaring what it is. I have heard other CGN'rs say also to not tell them what it is. I only want to make
    sure I would not be on the hook legally if it did go missing and ended up in the
    "wrong hands" so to speak-maybe I worry too much.
    You do not need to tell them to buy the insurance. You tell them when they ask for the insurance claim.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer waynesixgun's Avatar
    Same as shipping golf clubs..you can even use an empty golf club box.
    Wheel Guns are Real Guns

Member CSSA, NFA, RFOCBC, CPC, BCWF, UTAH CCW, NH CCW

If time is money...I should be a millionaire.

Questar - CGN Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter mcgavin View Post
    Here is part of the email that was sent to me when I contacted CP's customer
    service.
    This is where my confusion starts as you will see.

-Firearms (Including Imitation and Replica Firearms) have special restrictions on how or to whom they may be shipped. These items must be properly prepared and meet applicable requirements for mailing.

-The sender may ship restricted firearms, non-restricted firearms and prohibited handguns from one Canadian location to another Canadian location.

-When it is determined permissible to ship firearms, the item will need to be shipped using Expedited Parcel with Proof of Age with Signature for contract customers and Regular Parcel with Signature for non-contract customers.

- The package cover bears the information that it contains a non-restricted firearm.
    Write back to the CP Customer Service person that sent you the email and ask them to verify the last item... it is in fact against Federal Regulations to mark on the outside of the box that a firearm is inside... specifically not allowed under the regulations for transport.

The rest of the email appears correct. If you do some searching you'll find that the Canada Post regulations for shipping firearms are posted on the Canada Post website and they are very specific and clear. They DO NOT include anything about marking on the outside of the box that a firearm is contained inside.

Mark

As the dealers above and everyone else say. Original box with a little extra padding, ideal. Wrap in plain brown paper,lots, and ship. I have received many firearms through the mail and never had a problem. Even watched the mail man drop my 17HMR when he tripped getting out of his truck. No harm to the rifle due to good packaging.

shipping guns

Okay, I found what you guys are talking about on Canada Post's website under
    section 3.3 I believe-this is what it says.

Customers who wish to ship firearms must :

unload the firearms
    attach a secure locking device to the firearms
    lock the firearms in a sturdy, non-transparent container and
    remove the bolt or bolt carrier from any automatic firearms (if removable).
    It also said it cannot say on the package that it contains a firearm(makes sense)
    This totally goes against the email that the customer rep sent me this morning
    and most likely would have ended up in my gun being tied up at some postal
    outlet because it does not conform to CP's regulations and policies.
    Thanks again guys for all the good advice-you proved to be correct and I now
    know what to do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast