Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shipping rifles thru Canada Post

CGN Regular
    Last year my Hangun was sent Canada Post in a shoe box and wrapped in brown paper and taped. second shipment was a shotgun takin down and shipped the same way, NO problems and nobody but the buyer knew what was in the package. Could have been a board or brick, nobody's bussines at Canada Post. Just my thought's on this subject.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer nowarningshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanAm View Post
    First, do not tell them what is in the box

Second, pack it enough that you would feel comfortable throwing it down a flight of stairs.

Bullets are inert, and require no special treatment.

^^^ What he said.

Firearms are a legal item to own and ship in Canada. They require no more special care than a golf club or fishing rod. I would not tell them what it is, and as far as i know...the special precautions are some anti gun postal clerks spite. Shipping bullets is expensive because of the weight, but require no special consideration either. If i send a firearm in a firearms box, i wrap it in brown paper so as not to make it a target of theft or abuse.

The only thing one cannot do is send firearms by air through Canada Post; loaded ammo, primers, or powder must go Courier.
    A free society must outlaw harming innocent people to function, but when we seek to curtail what all of us can do, rather than holding each of us responsible for what we actually do, we give up on freedom itself.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter mcgavin View Post
    If you don't tell them what it is and it should get lost during shipping, how would
    you be able to claim the insurance on the package. I just am wondering if you
    would be exposing yourself to some risk but not declaring what it is. I have heard other CGN'rs say also to not tell them what it is. I only want to make
    sure I would not be on the hook legally if it did go missing and ended up in the
    "wrong hands" so to speak-maybe I worry too much.
    I believe that if you insure your parcel for $2,889.00, the premium will
    be appropriate to the declared value. They will not require an appraisal.

BANNED
    Trying to tell / inform people what is permissible for shipping firearms is a lesson in futility.

Best off to let them suffer through their own self induced bureaucracy.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by deegee View Post
    I literally spent an hour in the local Canada Post office with two employees while we talked to at least four Supervisors at Canada Post HQ, and they all said, it must be in a container that locks the firearm inside of it.
    All the restricteds and non-restricteds that I have purchased from mostly dealers and in a
    case or two from individuals never were in a "locked" container. Handguns arrived in their
    factory boxes or cases (some just a cardboard box and some, lockable plastic molded cases.
    But the lockable cases were NOT locked. The complimentary lock was included inside the case. ☺)

CGN Regular
    *deleted*

What a bunch of fools.
    "Just don't tell Canada Post what it is".
    May as well just ship explosives, drugs, radioactive contents.

There is no LAW that says that Canada Post MUST ship anything I can put into a box.

And you wonder why most people think gun owners are a bunch of arseholes.

Quote Originally Posted by deegee View Post
    *deleted*

What a bunch of fools.
    "Just don't tell Canada Post what it is".
    May as well just ship explosives, drugs, radioactive contents.

There is no LAW that says that Canada Post MUST ship anything I can put into a box.

And you wonder why most people think gun owners are a bunch of arseholes.
    You will probably recover from your self-loathing. Counselling may help.
    This space is dedicated to first responders. THANKS FOLKS!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123