Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151618 ... LastLast

Thread: Sapr?

Quote Originally Posted by scottm View Post
    Fantastic news that the SAPR sample is in country. I'm one of the first five on the wait list.

Barrel length question:
    Is this a specific Canadian variant with a barrel length just over the 18.5" mark or is it longer? Hoping for just over 18.5" but I'll take it however it comes.
    Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post
    The length of the barrel is over 18.5 inches (to keep it non-restricted)

JR
    there ya go

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Donster 125 View Post
    there ya go
    Over 18.5" could be a lot of different length barrels. The 2011 Swiss arms catalogue lists a 22.5" long barrel variant and a 17.9" short barrel variant. If TSE simply imported the 22.5" variant it would be "over 18.5". For me that would be a less desirable configuration compared to an 18.6" or so Canadian variant.
    Do you understand now Donster?

Again a question for TSE:
    Is this a specific Canadian variant with a barrel length just over the 18.5" mark (eg 18.6") or is it longer (eg 22.5" as in the SAPR LB)? Hoping for just over 18.5" but I'll take it however it comes.

The one TSE imported was the 751 long barrel Version, They have several variants. It will be the nicest one of the works, perfect balance like the 17.9 carbine, shorter gas system than the Classic Green, but a bit longer Barrel. Perfect Rifle, absolutely Perfect.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    The one TSE imported was the 751 long barrel Version, They have several variants. It will be the nicest one of the works, perfect balance like the 17.9 carbine, shorter gas system than the Classic Green, but a bit longer Barrel. Perfect Rifle, absolutely Perfect.
    Thanks Dizzy. I took a ruler to the picture of the SAPR LB shown on page 3 of the 2011 Swiss Arms catalog and compared some dimensions of that to the fifth photo in post #53 of this thread.

The catalogue photo is very low resolution, but assuming the handguard is the same on both photos, I came up with a barrel length very close to 18.5" on the one TSE imported. I actually came up slightly less than 18.5" but that can't be correct. All sorts of error sources (is the gun in photo 5 90 degrees to the camera, the terrible catalogue photo, measurement error by me, flash hider length). Even considering all this, it certainly seems considerably shorter than the 22.5" LB variant shown in the catalogue

IF this is shorter than the LB, it makes sense that it would be very close to the minimum barrel length for non-restricted (18.5"). Continuing on with that assumption, the 17.9" carbine gas port etc would be a very good match for this variant. It is likely that all that would be necessary is an 18.5" barrel.

It is what it is. As long as it is non-restricted I'll take one, but I would prefer the handiness of a shorter barrel.

CGN frequent flyer
    Is the barrel free-floated on the SAPR, or are the handguards attached the same way as the 5.56 rifles? I suspect the latter, but never hurts to ask.

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Law View Post
    Is the barrel free-floated on the SAPR, or are the handguards attached the same way as the 5.56 rifles? I suspect the latter, but never hurts to ask.
    The handguards are the same as the regular "Classic Green" models.
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

expired Dealer
    Classic green or carbine length, they looked like the ones off the carbine in the pics.

^^^^^ agreed - they look like a carbine length to me.

vs.

Only 3 vents vs. 5 and a much shorter slot for the missing bipod.

My only guess is that the greater gas in a 7.62 round allows for a shorter gas system?

CGN frequent flyer
    It has the Carbine's gas system because the one sold in Switzerland has the Carbine's barrel length. That one has a longer barrel so it can be non-restricted in Canada.

Any updates on the FRT?