Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: importing ammunition

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ultimate_monkey's Avatar

importing ammunition

well i figured this would be best in the noob section, i serched but suck at the internet.

whats the deal with bringing in ammo from the states? i know with fire arms theres s**t loads of paper work and hoops to jump threw, but what about ammo? im not talking like tracers , armor piercing stuff just regular old sabot slugs, and .50 pistol ammo?

there is ONE out door store here that deals with fire arms so they basically get away with selling stuff for what ever they want, next place is over 100km away and its a small selection at best. and dont even carry what i want most of the time

any info or links to follow would be great

happy shooting

Super Moderator
    Two separate but related issues.
    1- Importation into Canada.
    2- Export from the United States.
    Item 1 is the easy part, if it is for personal use, and under 5000 rounds.
    Item 2 is the hard part. Ammunition can only be exported by a licenced exporting business. The business will need to get a specific permit for the shipment from the US Department of State. You will need to supply a Canadian International Import Certificate for them to get the export permit.
    You cannot buy or possess ammunition yourself, unless you have gone through the steps to do so legally - it can be done. But ammunition purchased this way cannot be exported, only used in the US.

thanks, i kept searching after i posted and found some info, like i said i suck at the internet :D

starting to sound like i might as well buck up and buy a press...less work that way

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Skullboy's Avatar
    As Tiriaq has pointed out, For a private individual to legally import ammunition from the U.S. takes a mountain of paperwork, time, and patience............it can be done, but it is too much of a headache for most shooters...........Even reloading components (brass,powder, bullets, and primers) have to go through the same proceedures.............

Find yourself a good local source and support Canadian Shooting retailers............
    Some People Need A 178gr Sleeping Pill.............

yeah i try to suport the local guys but theres a point that its just straight up being rippped off, for reloading supplies they are on par so thats not a big deal, how ever i stoped in there the other day to grab some sabot slugs to sight my new 12g in, all they had were winchester supreme 2 3/4" for just under 30 bones... on line price - about 13 bones, hell even off canadian web sights they are only about 15

and can any one point me in the right direction for canadain supliers that are good to deal with? i keep coming up with a bunch of junk web sites
    Last edited by ultimate_monkey; 08-22-2010 at 09:26 PM.

This is only the case if you are having it shipped to canada, correct?
    If one where to drive over the border, and bring it back with them, it is a different story as for paperwork. You will only need your PAL, as long as its less then 5000 rounds, and the ammunition is legal to possess in canada.

T

Quote Originally Posted by toddojoe View Post
    If one where to drive over the border, and bring it back with them, it is a different story as for paperwork. You will only need your PAL, as long as its less then 5000 rounds, and the ammunition is legal to possess in canada.

T
    nope

you still need to be able to export it out of the US, and for that you require paperwork....

look here

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...ight=exporting

and a huge thread here

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...ad.php?t=51554

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Skullboy's Avatar

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by toddojoe View Post

T
    WRONG!!!!!!................you can not buy or possess ammunition or reloading components while in the U.S. unless you have the required U.S. paperwork.

If you drive across and try to do it yourself without the proper U.S. export permits, this is what can happen:

-As a Canadian in the U.S. you have NO rights and are classed as an Alien.
    -You run the risk of having your goods and vehicle seized
    -A Large Monetary fine.
    -The U.S. authorities can hold and jail you for up to 30 days WITHOUT charging you.
    -You can be barred from future entry into the U.S.

A few CGN'rs have had VERY unpleasent Border experiences trying to bring back ammunition and/or reloading components.Goods have been seized, and members detained for over 8 hours.

As has been said many, many times, Canada is not the problem................the problem is the U.S. Export regulations.
    Some People Need A 178gr Sleeping Pill.............

Build a bridge to Europe or Asia, that way you can avoid having to deal with the US export issue.

Take it easy on the new guys........

No need to yell at them, or get all upset at them, they asked a question, they deserve an answer

Yes the question has been asked a zillion times, and it can be answered a zillion more times, with out making the new guy feel like crap while giving them the answer

Staff should not be so hard on a new member, it does not show them a reason to stay and ask more questions, but rather pack up and leave and go elsewhere

I have modded at many sites, owned a few, ran a few, but have never been that way with a newbie

One has to remember, not all of us know it all, that is why they come here to hear and learn, and be pointed in the right direction, or told the right from the wrong

Just saying,,,,take it easy on the newbies

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast