Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: edmonton and area crown land

edmonton and area crown land

im looking for some crown land to plink around in without gettin in trouble and im a little unclear on how that all works, if anyone knows any good areas please PM me. and if anyone knows any links for maps or what not let me know cause i just got a new rifle and im dieing to shoot it!
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives"
    "Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"

I go around Bruderheim/Redwater area. I think thats the closest crown land where you can shoot. Just watch out for quaders/dirtbikers and whatnot during the weekend, I recommend going during the week. Its north of fort sask, about a 40 min drive from Edmonton. Also make sure you know what your shooting at and where your bullets going, also drive into the bush a little, stay away from the roads. Theres a few open sand pits if you can find one, best to set up a target going into the side of a hill.

Last edited by Dacton; 09-14-2010 at 03:09 PM.

[QUOTE=Dacton;4819253]I go around Bruderheim/Redwater area. I think thats the closest crown land where you can shoot. Just watch out for quaders/dirtbikers and whatnot during the weekend, I recommend going during the week. Its north of fort sask, about a 40 min drive from Edmonton. Also make sure you know what your shooting at and where your bullets going, also go into the bush a little, stay away from the roads. Theres a few open sand pits if you can find one, best to set up a target going into the side of a hill.

Do you ever venture out that way? Id like toget out there myself but i am also a firts time shooter(on crown lands) and i know most of the rules for this type of thing (pack out what you pack in) but it would be nice to have someone along who knows what they are doing.

I would be careful in shooting on crown land this time of year, you might be mistaken for a poacher.

Lots of stories of people doing just that and ending up in court because the warden doesn't believe you.

I would get a membership to Canadian Historical Arms Society which are cheap and go to the shooting range by Genesse. You can shoot all you want and no one will bother you. With the same membership you can go to Phoenix Range on Tuesday nights and shoot indoors when it is cold/raining outside.

Spruce Grove also has a good range as does Sherwood Park.

You don't have to worry about quaders, wardens and being in the wrong place on private land (you thought it was crown land).

My 2 cents.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by hunter64 View Post
    I would be careful in shooting on crown land this time of year, you might be mistaken for a poacher.

Lots of stories of people doing just that and ending up in court because the warden doesn't believe you.

I would get a membership to Canadian Historical Arms Society which are cheap and go to the shooting range by Genesse. You can shoot all you want and no one will bother you. With the same membership you can go to Phoenix Range on Tuesday nights and shoot indoors when it is cold/raining outside.

Spruce Grove also has a good range as does Sherwood Park.

You don't have to worry about quaders, wardens and being in the wrong place on private land (you thought it was crown land).

My 2 cents.
    Like he said it is best to go to a range as you can still run into troubles on crown land even when its legal. If you do shoot where I said I recommend staying right beside your vehicle when you shoot just so they know your not poaching, also set up a target so they believe you.

is anyone here a member of the spruce grove gun club and could bring me as a guest i would like to check it out but its members only!
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives"
    "Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"

wow old thread but I did go shoot here a couple weeks ago, wandered down into the creek bed, haven't been arrested yet so that's good

Also been out there doing some hand thrown clay shotgunnin :P went early sunday morning a while back, seemed quiet, just have to pay attention to where people are, but as stated before joining a range isnt expensive and makes it a lot easier, been looking into spruce grove as well .

Think twice before going here

I know the thread is 2 years old, and its quite possible the situation has changed here since... Just thought I would give a heads up to anybody thinking about going here now.
    My friend and I took our kids out here to do a little target shooting in the exact location shown above. All was good for the first hour or so, we found the sandpits no problem and were letting the kids practice with the .22's. We could hear the faint muffle of Quadders in the distance the whole time we were out there, there were even a few that came into the clearing where we were shooting.
    It only took about 15 min of using the shotguns before we attracted some attention. Two RCMP officers rolled up on Quads, they were actually pretty cool about the whole scenario but they did inform us that we were trespassing on "Leased Crown Land" they also told us that we would be legal if we were directly across the street, but they would prefer us not to shoot there right now as there were a few people riding out there.
    So, don't turn right over the broken fence where the x is on this map... turn left and drive in a bit (no gate), and probably best to go on a weekday, it was early Sunday morning and there were quite a few people out there.
    "I would rather die like a Tiger, than live like a Pussy."

There is an online map that helps show leased Crown Land, including contact information if you want to try to get permission to shoot from the land owner:

http://xnet.env.gov.ab.ca/imf/imf.jsp?site=rec_access

Honestly though just spend $15 or $20 and go to a map store and buy a Municipal District map for where you're looking to go. I went to Maptown in Calgary. Then you can bring it in your car and potentially show officers that you're on Crown Land. I got a big rollout map for Kanaskis and Bighorn since I wanted to be sure that the often quoted "north of Waiparous" was truly Crown Land, and to see what was available near Elbow Falls.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast