Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2456789101112131415161718192022 ... LastLast

Thread: Scar

Questar - CGN Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by mugenman View Post
    I guess I'll take the deafening silence as a 'no'.
    I can't speak for others but I know that we are continuing our efforts and we do have a stategy that we are following... but I am not prepared to post about it or make it public knowledge as doing so would in no way help our efforts but may well end up hurting them.

I'm sure some will mock my statement and suggest that we don't care and are in no hurry one way or the other, however, that is furthest from the truth. We ourselves own a quantity of SCAR's that are (and have been for quite some time) sitting in our inventory fully paid for by Questar, so our out-of-pocket cash investment in this fiasco is far greater than any of our customers. I am in no way belittling the money that our customers have tied up in this, but some have suggested in the past that we don't care since it's not our money... well that's simply not true. We have tens of thousands invested ourselves.

Further, since we're on the hook for every dollar that the customers paid us if the classification ends up un-favourable, I'd say we are MORE committed to this than anyone else... we are the only ones that stand to lose their money on this if the guns are not saleable and can't be transferred.

Having said all of that I believe that we have good reason to follow the course of action we believe most likely to get us where we want to end up and if keeping silent about our plan and efforts gets us there then that's what we're going to do, regardless of other people's opinions or thoughts to the contrary.

All due respect to those who think otherwise... that is all I am going to say on this topic at this time.

Mark

CGN Regular
    I ask RCMP yesterday and here is the reply.

Good morning:

RCMP is in the process of purchasing an F/A version of the FN SCAR 16.

The receipt of this F/A firearm will enable a detailed comparison to the Semi automatic version and enable the decision on the S/A FN SCAR 16S to be made.

The company, FNH USA, is as eager to sell RCMP an F/A version as they are in having a root canal procedure done by a first year Dentistry student - which I suppose is informative - but not conclusive.

FN Herstal, Belgium is still silent on the matter.

That's all that is new in the FN SCAR subject.

The best.

Thanks for the updates gents. Sounds like some progress continues to be made, albeit slowly.

Mark - I appreciate the thought put into your reply and trust your judgement on this matter. I, personally, don't have an opinion one way or the other. I'm just looking to see if anyone has any ideas/suggestions to hurry the process along, but as long as you've got something in the works, that is sufficient for me. I'm glad to see that you've acknowledged the risk of "being on the hook" in the unlikely event that there is an unfavorable outcome. One could definitely see how this would be a motivating factor.

Quote Originally Posted by proflui View Post

The receipt of this F/A firearm will enable a detailed comparison to the Semi automatic version and enable the decision on the S/A FN SCAR 16S to be made.
    Theyre spending my Tax dollars on a F/A rifle that will most likely be destroyed once its used for a comparison (as theres really no other practical/legal use for it) Wouldnt it be more cost effective to just have someone go stateside and compare the two?? What a monumental waste of money.

*Edit...I just read post #53. It appears they have no choice but to buy a F/A one to compare as FN is ignoring the RCMP's repeated emails asking for information. and they clearly state that if FN would just answer the questions it would likely be Non Restricted. Wow... I doubt Id buy an FN now just out of principle.
    http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...9&postcount=53

CGN Regular
    If the ATF approved the semi version, what could the RCMP possibly do that the ATF didn't think of?
    Also, if the State Dept won't approve any more exports, why would FN give a #### about the Canadian market?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by proflui View Post
    I ask RCMP yesterday and here is the reply.

Good morning:

The company, FNH USA, is as eager to sell RCMP an F/A version as they are in having a root canal procedure done by a first year Dentistry student - which I suppose is informative - but not conclusive.

FN Herstal, Belgium is still silent on the matter.

That's all that is new in the FN SCAR subject.

The best.
    I don't see how this is informative at all. That's wild speculation and libel on the part of the RCMP. If I was FNH-USA and knew that this was a one of sale I wouldn't be to interested either. Maybe the RCMP should speak to the ATF.

RCMP/ ATF.

--"Wouldnt it be more cost effective to just have someone go stateside and compare the two??"--

one would think, that in an era where there is supposed to be more coordination between our two countries, that these guys would know each other personally, and in fact, be friends... after all, forums like this one bring allot of like minds together, especially in North America.

scientifically, and legally, it would seem not to matter where a comparison of the two mechanisms, semi-auto and fully-auto, takes place.

and then we are just looking at the cost of a plane ticket, vs the cost of an FN SCAR 16.

blows the mind.

i know of several folks on the Sniper's Hide forum who claim to own both; (and of course i believe them). one quick back-and-forth with one of those guys, and a team of -one- from the RCMP could fly down to the US , do a couple of tests, enjoy a couple of state-side micro-brews, and be on the way back within a week.

Lets see, airfare, hotel, meals, salary, car rental, out of pocket expenses for a team of 2 or 3 from the lab. It is possibly more cost effective for the RCMP to purchase one!

Quote Originally Posted by dmb View Post
    Lets see, airfare, hotel, meals, salary, car rental, out of pocket expenses for a team of 2 or 3 from the lab. It is possibly more cost effective for the RCMP to purchase one!
    hmm, i guess you're right.
    i sure hope they pass the scar along to the Canadian armed forces. i'm sure some there would be allowed to use it, and would put it to good use.

or perhaps, doing the tests between the two versions, somehow destroys them any way?

..guess i just can't get my brain wrapped around the idea of destroying a perfectly good fully auto scar 16... there's gotta be a better way.

You're assuming they want to classify it. They are quite happy having it remain in limbo. This means that no Canadians get this scary rifle.