Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 21214151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Scar

Quote Originally Posted by blaxsun View Post
    Not as of yet. Beretta has indicated probably 2 years before we see a civilian version, so figure late 2013-2014. Maybe they'll have even classified the SCAR by then...

Bingo.
    the Berretta rep that I was working with was less than hopeful of getting the ARX 160 (223/556) in the foreseeable future beings they are made in the US and not the plant in Italy but he said the 22lr model is moving along nicely in US civy sales... but who wants a 22lr when there's 556 to be had

getting back to the original topic, how much did you guys have to pay to get into this very exclusive SCAR club ?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer blaxsun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy insane View Post
    the Berretta rep that I was working with was less than hopeful of getting the ARX 160 (223/556) in the foreseeable future beings they are made in the US and not the plant in Italy but he said the 22lr model is moving along nicely in US civy sales... but who wants a 22lr when there's 556 to be had
    They're manufactured in Italy (that would be akin to the US military having their M4's manufactured in Spain...). What he probably meant is that to be eligible for sale in the US they will have to have some components manufactured in the US. It's entirely possible they'll go the route of the HK MR556 and opt to simply manufacturer the entire rifle there.

And I'd be all over a 22LR ARX-160 like Oprah on a baked ham.

getting back to the original topic, how much did you guys have to pay to get into this very exclusive SCAR club ?
    If memory serves, it was about $3,600. But it's not really so much a club as it is a waiting list. And it's not really so much a wait as it is an effort in futility - since it's extremely unlikely FN will ever release the proprietary documents that the RCMP has demanded to finish classifying it. Without those, I can't see it being classified as anything but prohibited. And then what? Another half decade of legal battles? Look how well that's going for the T97...

There are other real issues to consider as well, such as warranty (which will be nonexistent) and the future availability of parts. The US will never allow another batch of SCARs to be exported, so what are you going to do when something breaks or wears?

But let's say you eventually do get it. Is it a thrill or novelty to finally take possession of a 3-4 year old rifle?
    "Before me things create were none, save things Eternal,
    and eternal I endure. All hope abandon ye who enter here."
    Tune in next week... Same
    Bat time, same Bat channel.

There are other real issues to consider as well, such as warranty (which will be nonexistent) and the future availability of parts. The US will never allow another batch of SCARs to be exported, so what are you going to do when something breaks or wears?

But let's say you eventually do get it. Is it a thrill or novelty to finally take possession of a 3-4 year old rifle?

Good points Blaxsun. Worth considering for sure.

Hey, I really hope those still waiting eventually get their SCARs. It would be great to see another black rifle in Canada - if only for that reason alone. After almost 2 years I threw-in the towel and got an ACR, but Bushmaster has really managed to screw up a rifle with great potential due to lack of availability of spare parts and interchangeable barrels. So if Beretta nails it with the ARX-160, that's where my money will be.

Seriously though, what colour are the SCARs? :D

Flat dark earth/tan.

Hey, I really hope those still waiting eventually get their SCARs. It would be great to see another black rifle in Canada - if only for that reason alone. After almost 2 years I threw-in the towel and got an ACR, but Bushmaster has really managed to screw up a rifle with great potential due to lack of availability of spare parts and interchangeable barrels. So if Beretta nails it with the ARX-160, that's where my money will be.
    meant to say they will need to produce it in the US, like you said, it (mil. conf.) is made in italy, and that's were the challenge lies, either they stop production on mil. spec guns and make a completely different model just for us, that's after they produce it for the obviously larger US market. They will need to re tool and setup an entirely new line at the Beretta USA factory, either way we're still talking years due to the fact that the US plant is still stretched to the limit as it is, I wish I could move to Maryland and work

Is there a chance that the SCAR mk20 will come in? It seems that it is only in the hands of mil. ops. but sooner or later it will need to hit the US civi market

Quote Originally Posted by crazy insane View Post
    The .22LR version is a copy made by Umarex of Germany.

Anybody know anything or heard anything? What is status? Any changes of news? Questar would you like to chime in here?

Quote Originally Posted by 7.92X33Kurz View Post
    Anybody know anything or heard anything? What is status? Any changes of news? Questar would you like to chime in here?
    Yes! Let's hear from Questar! What has been done or lack of, to advance the process forward?