Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141517 ... LastLast

Thread: Scar

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Personally if the RCMP can't convert it and can't find out how to convert it from FN. What chance does Joe Blow have?
    The FRT lab should not require any input from the manufacturer. They need to ask themselves these questions and not the manufacturer.
    Can I easily convert it to full auto with readably available parts? No.
    Is it based on a prohibited? No.
    Does it meet OAL requirements? Yes
    Does it meet barrel length requirements? No
    result
    RESTRICTED
    How hard is that.

Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    One of my problems with the "full auto" parts interchangeability is that if this firearm was just entering the market there might be some concern.However its been for sale in the civilian market for years in the US.The US has prohibited new machine guns since 84, not likely that the ATF would have "signed off" on it, if it can use full auto SCAR parts.

Hence FN made it a "manufactured only" semi.
    But we have to do it the Canadian way.

So a drug is being sold worldwide or at least in Europe for a number of years and is successful? Canadian way: Well, we're not too sure, better test it for another 20 years.

So the Americans can't convert it to full auto? Canadian way: Well, they're probably not experts in firearms. I'll bet we can do it.

A rimfire magazine can be used in a rimfire pistol? Canadian way: Ban the damn thing, and turn a blind eye to the millions of magazines with 5x the magazine capacity that CAN be used (this one fires me up something fierce, and I don't even have the affected gun).

It looks like a loaded question from the RCMP lab IMO. If I was at FN Herstal I wouldn't dignify it with a response either.

To me it reads like this:

To whom it may concern, regarding the SCAR.

We can't figure out how to classify your rifle as prohibited. It meets all other criteria for a non-restricted firearm but we just really don't want you to sell it here. Could you please spend some time and money to give us a hand with this? If you could just show us how to herp dee derp derp... Then we can simulate that using common houshold items herp derp... Finally we can complete this clasification as quickly as possible and return to our business of preventing you doing yours here.

Sincerely,

Unaccountable civil servant #1138

CGN Regular
    I agree that the RCMP should do their own testing. But I wonder why FN Belgium does not response also. If FN just play along with the game it will be classified sooner, no matter what the classification will be.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I suspect FN feel that they don't need to spend too much time on this as they don't plan to sell the SCAR in Canada. They probably feel this second rate civil servant is on a fishing trip. That he wants to know proprietary information regarding the full auto model that he has no business knowing as it is not the firearm in question.

BANNED
    Anybody have any contacts at FN? Perhaps writing to FN would get some movement on the issue, as the RCMP appear to be waiting for FN.

CGN Regular
    I had. But no one reply me.

BANNED
    really whats the difference about the end user it is basically an ar 15 copy jazzed up a bit. Lots of plastic on it and its got rail bro. I cannot see it being a great improvement over an ar

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Epoxy7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tactical pete View Post
    really whats the difference about the end user it is basically an ar 15 copy jazzed up a bit. Lots of plastic on it and its got rail bro. I cannot see it being a great improvement over an ar
    You're right. But it's also non restricted and sought after. Ultimately the ergonomics have been improved a bit and with the piston reliability. But you lose some accuracy ability (An AR can shoot sub .5 moa with the right components) and the dimensions/balance changes. Some of that is offset by polymers.

By the way some pictures of the first SCAR prototype have been leaked. I found these online. Apparently it's been in the development stage since 1942.

A little late to the party but apparently the SCAR even comes in a version (tan) for Rommel.

All joking aside, I like the SCAR.
    Last edited by Epoxy7; 10-04-2011 at 02:45 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer deagle2008's Avatar
    i can imagine those babes sitting at a corner of a warehouse picking dust whyyyyy?