Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161828 ... LastLast

Thread: Surplus Garands from South Korea

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Undergiver's Avatar
    86,000 M1 Garands. that is alot of inventory and $$$ even for Marstar. I would be down for 1 maybe even 2 if the price was right.
    UCP member
    CPC member

Definitily want one , put me on the list when you got me.....dreammmmm!! sometimes they become reality
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separatly
    Benjamin Franklin July 4, 1776

Yves Lépine

CGN Ultra frequent flyer LeeEnfieldNo.4_mk1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Undergiver View Post
    86,000 M1 Garands. that is alot of inventory and $$$ even for Marstar. I would be down for 1 maybe even 2 if the price was right.
    Doubt we would see all 86,000 rifles if they do come over. Chances are that Marstar will go, are have the Koreans go and sort them into something like poor, Satisfactory, good, and Excellent grades and only the good and up grades will be imported and the rest get left to the whim of the Koreans, which is still around 30,000 rifles saved and in the hands of canadian Gun Owners.

As For price, I can see around 600 for a "good" grade rifle, which is not too bad as one would usually pay more then that for a "satisfactory" grade one.
    I'm no Superman, but don't worry, it's a common mistake.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer #1bcshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeEnfieldNo.4_mk1 View Post
    Doubt we would see all 86,000 rifles if they do come over. Chances are that Marstar will go, are have the Koreans go and sort them into something like poor, Satisfactory, good, and Excellent grades and only the good and up grades will be imported and the rest get left to the whim of the Koreans, which is still around 30,000 rifles saved and in the hands of canadian Gun Owners.

As For price, I can see around 600 for a "good" grade rifle, which is not too bad as one would usually pay more then that for a "satisfactory" grade one.
    Not if the market gets flooded with them
    Look what happened to the price of a Russian SKS
    Pre-orders are horrible for everyone involved. They never go smooth. We will not be doing a pre-order to bankroll this project.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer LeeEnfieldNo.4_mk1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by #1bcshooter View Post
    Not if the market gets flooded with them
    Look what happened to the price of a Russian SKS
    True, but then look at how many SKS's were imported, and are still being imported.

Maybe 600 was a little high. But, speculation on price is probably not the best thing to do I guess as it will start rumors and then people will start getting angry when they announce a price if they come in and its higher then the rumored price. Remember Marstars Chinese SKS's, The whole $100 a rifle thing got around pretty fast.
    I'm no Superman, but don't worry, it's a common mistake.

Lets just see if ( and that's a big if ) any show up
    Worry about the price later :D
    Pre-orders are horrible for everyone involved. They never go smooth. We will not be doing a pre-order to bankroll this project.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Red Herring's Avatar
    This was hashed around on another site, and here is a quote from one of the guys and sounds like a plausible explanation as to why they are being blocked.

From IH8MUD:

As much as I despise Oblama, this story is neither accurate nor fair. The Korean government has been trying to get export approvals so they can sell 100,000 plus surplus U.S. rifles (86,000 garands and 22,000 carbines) to U. S. importers for more than 5 years (long before the Obamunist administration) and have been blocked by U.S. government objections. However, these objections have been based upon the fact the the rifles were loaned by the Defense Dept to Korea, and remain U.S. property. When they became surplus to Korean needs, under the various agreements, the arms were supposed to be returned to the U.S. Army. Instead, the Korean government is trying to sell them to raise some 108 million dollars for their own defense establishment. The stories as to why the U.S. objects (such as the complaint that they might lead to accidents, etc )originated in Korea, not the U.S. and are an attempt by Korea to get past the fact that we still own these rifles, not Korea, and Korea has no legal right to "sell" them to anyone. If the Koreans simply followed the agreement and returned them to the U.S. the rifles would most likely simply be transferred to the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) and sold to U.S. citizens. The Koreans do not want to do this. Korea did get in some diplomatic "hot water" some years back when they illegally sold off some garands to U.S. arms dealers without U.S. government approval (the so-called "Blue Sky" garands). They are trying a end run this time around for a much larger sale.

CGN frequent flyer
    Can you just imagine the price of others Garand... already in Canada.........

probably drop !!!

Well considering I bought the ones I have for under $200 each from Lever
    I'm not worried about prices dropping :D

CGN Ultra frequent flyer pitdogboy's Avatar
    I would take one for sure.