Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: Surplus Garands from South Korea

They said that about the K98 rifle when the Russian Captures were on their way here. All it did was spark the interest of the milsurp crowd. If the price of a k98 ever went down, it was not for very long.
    Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Duff350 View Post
    Can you just imagine the price of others Garand... already in Canada.........

probably drop !!!
    "Na množství nehleďte"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer UCSPanther's Avatar
    I'm glad I got my Kar98K...
    Target sighted...Range set (Panther quote from Earth 2150)

Proud member of the mini 14 cult

"The 1990s: The other dark age" - my quote

Expired Business
    LEE ENFIELD No-4 Mk-1;
    "go and sort them into something like poor, Satisfactory, good, and Excellent grades "

I'm afraid thats not how it works in the surplus business, at least not with us over the past 25+ years.... When Marstar gets involved we always try to buy everything, no cherry picking, that way we get the best posiible deals.... It has been successful for us so far.

Thank you for your interest in this theoretical deal.

John

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lone-wolf's Avatar
    I'll cross my fingers.
    The wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

I'll take a couple. And Marstar sucks.
    Hey Johnone, you should get some Marstar Sucks T shirts done up. They could have a hot chick licking a Garand. Sure to offend at my pleasure.

Keep up the good work!

I bought one of those super rare hardly fired Garands that was made after the Korean war. You guys are right to drool over them, they are just one of the finest rifles ever.
    The truth must be repeated over and over again; because error is repeatedly preached among us, and not only by individuals, but by the masses. In periodicals and encyclopedias, in schools and universities -everywhere, in fact, error prevails and is quite easy in the feeling that it has a decided majority on its side

CGN Ultra frequent flyer contact148's Avatar
    last time i bought a garand from marstar it was a breda and was $199.99 or 299.00 cant recall thing was like new
    I helped turf Mark Holland
    Remember ONLY YOU can prevent firearms bans

CGN Regular

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Paul View Post
    Yea I'm pretty sure Americans won't just let that slip by without a fight
    You are so right.
    "The Collectible Firearms Protection Act " was introduced in Congress a couple of weeks ago. This situation is a replay of the Blue Sky ROK imports drama back in the 1980's. It took a lawsuit , action by Congress , and President's Reagan's autograph to finally make the gun-grabbers quit.

It's deju vue all over again.

CGN Regular

Question

A lot of people believe this , but...
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    This was hashed around on another site, and here is a quote from one of the guys and sounds like a plausible explanation as to why they are being blocked.

From IH8MUD:

As much as I despise Oblama, this story is neither accurate nor fair. The Korean government has been trying to get export approvals so they can sell 100,000 plus surplus U.S. rifles (86,000 garands and 22,000 carbines) to U. S. importers for more than 5 years (long before the Obamunist administration) and have been blocked by U.S. government objections. However, these objections have been based upon the fact the the rifles were loaned by the Defense Dept to Korea, and remain U.S. property. When they became surplus to Korean needs, under the various agreements, the arms were supposed to be returned to the U.S. Army. Instead, the Korean government is trying to sell them to raise some 108 million dollars for their own defense establishment. The stories as to why the U.S. objects (such as the complaint that they might lead to accidents, etc )originated in Korea, not the U.S. and are an attempt by Korea to get past the fact that we still own these rifles, not Korea, and Korea has no legal right to "sell" them to anyone. If the Koreans simply followed the agreement and returned them to the U.S. the rifles would most likely simply be transferred to the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) and sold to U.S. citizens. The Koreans do not want to do this. Korea did get in some diplomatic "hot water" some years back when they illegally sold off some garands to U.S. arms dealers without U.S. government approval (the so-called "Blue Sky" garands). They are trying a end run this time around for a much larger sale.
    Sounds plausible but....
    It just ain't true.
    Check out a copy of " The Best of the GCA Journal - Book 1 " The stories start on page 57 in that book . The Blue Sky story originally was published in The Garand Collectors Association Journal in the Spring 1988 edition. The GCA might even have some copies available for around $5.00 or so. The " Best of .. . books sell for $30.00 .

There were metric tons of US Garands and Carbines sold and gifted to various Allies in Asia . It is probable that enough historic guns have survived to flood the markets in both Canada and the US.

hmm i would want a m1garand and a M1911
    that would be sweet
    https://ericaswimmingdream.tilt.com/year1
    Hey CGNers. Here is your chance to crowed fund a future Olympic hopeful and current gun nut!! thanks for your help everyone