Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 122224252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Surplus Garands from South Korea

count me in

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kennymo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JigsAndReels View Post
    I don't know why, but there's that little shred of hope every time I click on this.
    X2. Though I'm starting to think that little bit of Garand credit I have waiting might be better off buying an M305 and a trunk full of SKS's...

CGN Regular
    This whole subject of the Korean Garands is getting bigger than the JFK assassination. In the last year, I have seen guys pass up on Arsenal over hauled and refurbished Garands that had new VAR barrels on them and all new parts (One was a Winchester receiver) that were priced at $1500, and yet they passed on them speaking of waiting for the Garands that are coming from Korea.... I have to wonder if these same guys passed on all the video games that came out after the second to last Duke Nukem in hope of and waiting for the next Duke Nukem. There are no guaranties about the Garands out of Korea, look at what happened with the Greek Garands down south, they showed up and the barrels were rotted out, I am sure the Op-rods and Gas Cylinders were no better. But, they did show up. The talk of the garands in Korea have been going for at least 12 years. From what I have heard from a reliable source, yes they are coming, yes coming to Canada, no we don't have dates nailed down, and when they finally show up, they company bringing them in is going to take its time before selling them and go through every one of them, decide if there are parts guns, save what can be saved, assess the rest of them, and then look at pricing. Then and only then, will they go up for sale.

I seem to recall something stated over 60 years ago, that in the near future we would all have flying cars..... I guess I will pass on buying a regular car and wait for a flying car....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I seem to recall something stated over 60 years ago, that in the near future we would all have flying cars..... I guess I will pass on buying a regular car and wait for a flying car....[/QUOTE
    I read that issue of popular science, about 48 years ago which got me into flying,,, now I am one of those underpaid pilots waiting for a cheap Korean Garand in very good shape!!!
    AAANND still waiting for all those friggin flying cars that we all should have by now!! Could you imagine the carnage!!

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mark-II's Avatar
    Well, even mediocre Garands are clocking in over $1400 now. I'm hoping for an import, just to hopefully bring some sanity to the market because for me it's not a matter of passing up a nice gun but questioning my ability to either afford or justify such an expense for a milsurp rifle that I only wish to possess so that I can shoot the durn thing, rather than looking for something to lock up in a safe to fund my retirement.

If they are going to remain up in the stratosphere then I'll remain happy with my Poor Mans Garand M-305 and have a friend toss an en bloc on the cement when the bolt locks back on #5

Quote Originally Posted by mcpherson284 View Post
    This whole subject of the Korean Garands is getting bigger than the JFK assassination. In the last year, I have seen guys pass up on Arsenal over hauled and refurbished Garands that had new VAR barrels on them and all new parts (One was a Winchester receiver) that were priced at $1500, and yet they passed on them speaking of waiting for the Garands that are coming from Korea.... I have to wonder if these same guys passed on all the video games that came out after the second to last Duke Nukem in hope of and waiting for the next Duke Nukem. There are no guaranties about the Garands out of Korea, look at what happened with the Greek Garands down south, they showed up and the barrels were rotted out, I am sure the Op-rods and Gas Cylinders were no better. But, they did show up. The talk of the garands in Korea have been going for at least 12 years. From what I have heard from a reliable source, yes they are coming, yes coming to Canada, no we don't have dates nailed down, and when they finally show up, they company bringing them in is going to take its time before selling them and go through every one of them, decide if there are parts guns, save what can be saved, assess the rest of them, and then look at pricing. Then and only then, will they go up for sale.

I seem to recall something stated over 60 years ago, that in the near future we would all have flying cars..... I guess I will pass on buying a regular car and wait for a flying car....
    Part of the reason for the excitement/optimism may be related to the fact that there seems to be a reasonably consistent number of "reliable sources" who opine from some better position of information that "that they are coming".

You are lucky that you have such a source of information, while the rest of us are left with conjecture.
    Dignatas Pietas Virtus

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdbldr View Post
    I seem to recall something stated over 60 years ago, that in the near future we would all have flying cars..... I guess I will pass on buying a regular car and wait for a flying car....[/QUOTE
    I read that issue of popular science, about 48 years ago which got me into flying,,, now I am one of those underpaid pilots waiting for a cheap Korean Garand in very good shape!!!
    AAANND still waiting for all those friggin flying cars that we all should have by now!! Could you imagine the carnage!!
    Insert Non-PC driving joke here....

As for the VERY good shape Garands, these are not new Garands, but the Garands left there at the end of US Occupation. So, unless Korea has sat down and made their own Garands (which I have never heard off) they are US Garands and will still command a fair value even if they are parts guns.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ajagcapt View Post
    Part of the reason for the excitement/optimism may be related to the fact that there seems to be a reasonably consistent number of "reliable sources" who opine from some better position of information that "that they are coming".

You are lucky that you have such a source of information, while the rest of us are left with conjecture.
    Spending the time I have in the crowd I have has given me some little ins. Yes, I would love to add one or two or even three more Garands to my collection. It would be nice to get a Winchester and IHC, but also I am still in need of a M1D.... Maybe luck out and kill two birds with one stone! But, I know that getting hyped up about these guns is pointless till there are here and up for sale. Like I said, the subject of these Garands has been there for at least 12 years. Unfortunately, there seems to much talk on this subject, and it has spread like wild fire. So, there are lots of people with high hopes thinking that these guns are going to be much cheaper than market value as of right now. Look at what the prices have been on some of the junk Garands.... I know of one such situation where a guy bought two Garands (this is going back 5-6 years ago) and after getting them, found that it was better to strip them down and build one that was MAYBE 55-65% OK, and sell one complete Garand at $1,800 (Average at that time was around $900-1200 here in town) and he sold off the receiver for most likely the arm and leg. I have seen the "measuring contest" go on when it come to comparing and pricing rather than using the blue book idea of pricing. Best example was 4 years ago with Israeli K98K's in .308, in one day looking at them online IN CANADA for sale by different sellers, the prices ranged from $450 to $1300! It was like "Well, he is asking $450 for that, BUT mine has better wood! $650" and the next guy looks at this "Well, hell, mine has a PERFECT barrel, so it must be worth $700 and then next guy looks at all this "Crap, MINE still has the MAUSER emblem stamp on the stock and a perfect MAUSER banner on top center of the receiver ring.... AND IT'S MAUSER.... MAUSER I TELL YOU!!! ONE MILLI.. I Mean One thousand dollars!".

But I have seen the other guys from the other side of this as well, "Oh, well, that old junker than Grandpa left you has surface rust in these two places, the barrel is a little dark, someone has hammered a "P" on the under side of the pistol grip, and hammered some french crossed cannon thingy on the left side of the stock. Someone has hammered their initials "NM" on the top back end of the Op-Rod, Drilled out the rear sight to add in a drum like hood with a smaller hole... and it is only made by International Harvester, if it was Springfield, Winchester or even H&R Arms it would be worth a bit more, but IHC.... I'll give you $500 for it. I doubt I can sell it in this shape, but I can probably make use of some of the parts...." <- this guy is no ones friend and has a special place in hell waiting for him!

That said, I will not try and say what these thing are or are not worth. Being 30, I got in with a group of guys that are much older than I am, and screamed at them to teach me what they know, kept asking questions, and showing that I wanted to learn. It paid off in a number of ways, the most fortunate ways has been the stuff IN my collection. Have I paid what the book said all of them are/were worth? Not always, usually, there have been the dope deals of trade work for GIC (Gun In Closet), a couple times, I was just down right lucky and got the deal of the century because it is know why I want the piece, to collect and even let others shoot when out on the firing line, and put up on display at the local gun show. Are there guys out there that are driving the prices up for unreasonable personal gain? I would suggest looking towards the 2 yellow banners at the top of every page on CGN and ask what really started that whole issue... one business owner getting bent out of shape because he found out there was competition over his pet project and tried destroying the competition's business by calling Dudley Do Right. I just think back to one guy at the Calgary Easter Gun Show that had a cobbled together M1D (it was a standard barrel with a reproduction mounting block) with a $3500 price tag and a Remington 1903A3 with aluminum aperture lyman sight on the back end and a rigged up globe front sight (With a $1000 price tag on it) and tried saying it was an original Army/Marine National Match rifle....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart212 View Post
    Dare to dream fellas Dare to dream. Look at them there all stacked in neat little piles waiting for you to fondle the hell out of them. :D

LOOK AT THE ONE GUY'S DRAGING THE BARRELS ON THE GROUND LOL.

I know its a last years thread. But any info as to who bought them? And where they were shipped to???

CGN frequent flyer Moparman1303's Avatar
    Bring it! I want!