Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: ZULU Weapons & SA Rifles

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    Little did I know then, that my “Gun Running” actitivities would start a few years later by shipping (Smuggling) guns to Rhodesians fighting a desperate “Bush War” against the dreaded commies! Strictly illegal but how could it be wrong, when those same people had run to England to help her in WWII. Yes History is an amazing subject, and the real truth is hardly ever known.

John,

any chance we might ever get a post dedicated to this subject?

I'm sure many of us who followed closely the bush war in Rhodesia (..along with the following collapse/failure of the country post being betrayed/sold-out via the Lancaster House Agreement in 1979...) would be very interested in the subject sir.

Good on you for supporting the cause/our kin in Rhodesia, which our country (Canada) chose unfortunately to ignore/throw under the bus...

Quote Originally Posted by avroe View Post
    John,

any chance we might ever get a post dedicated to this subject?

I'm sure many of us who followed closely the bush war in Rhodesia (..along with the following collapse/failure of the country post being betrayed/sold-out via the Lancaster House Agreement in 1979...) would be very interested in the subject sir.

Good on you for supporting the cause/our kin in Rhodesia, which our country (Canada) chose unfortunately to ignore/throw under the bus...
    My country at that time, Great Britian, also chose to ignor thier plight. Rhodesia was the "Bread Basket" of Africa and able to export a surplus of corn, sorgum, cotton etc When I visited a few years ago all I saw was run down farms with broken down tractors parked in the bush, now the country can hardly feed herself. Rhodesia even exported "Flowers" to Europe. I have a Rigby DR in .470 NE and the former owner as a Rhodesian farmer shot over 150 Cape Buffalo to keep them out of his flowers. How times have changed.

very cool
    How to sign up for the Equipment Exchange click here.
    http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...exchange_rules

TANT QUE JE PUIS

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    My country at that time, Great Britian, also chose to ignor thier plight. Rhodesia was the "Bread Basket" of Africa and able to export a surplus of corn, sorgum, cotton etc When I visited a few years ago all I saw was run down farms with broken down tractors parked in the bush, now the country can hardly feed herself. Rhodesia even exported "Flowers" to Europe. I have a Rigby DR in .470 NE and the former owner as a Rhodesian farmer shot over 150 Cape Buffalo to keep them out of his flowers. How times have changed.
    ..a damn shame it is...

Perhaps soon enough the likes of Mugabe will be gone. ...although it's sure to be another case of "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"..

BANNED
    Nice collection! Love the rifles.

Any further South or West I would be wet or a Yank.
    Great collection!!!

Very nice.

CGN Regular
    very nice

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ojo de aguila's Avatar
    Very nice collection of rifles but the spear collection is outstanding. Anyone know what rifles the Lord Strathcona Horse were using there? I know there were a bunch of guys from the Calgary, High River & Cochrane areas that went and I'm sure they had to provide their own 2 horses. It doesn't seem like there's much information around on this war from the Canadian side.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo de aguila View Post
    Very nice collection of rifles but the spear collection is outstanding. Anyone know what rifles the Lord Strathcona Horse were using there? I know there were a bunch of guys from the Calgary, High River & Cochrane areas that went and I'm sure they had to provide their own 2 horses. It doesn't seem like there's much information around on this war from the Canadian side.
    I have no info on the Lord Strathcona Horse, but I do have the following with Canadian Boer War connections:

Colt New Service issued to Hugh Arthur Gunn of the Canadian Mounted Rifles.

1896 Cavalry Sword issued to Lt Frederic Kelly Gascoyne Esq of the 20th Hussars who served in South Africa durring the Boer War/

Webley WG .455 presented to Capt F W Barrett of the 15th Hussars by a Capt Pigeon but I haven’t researched this one yet. This would be British not Canadian.

An 1872 Trade Musket by I Hollis, displays authentic Zulu wire work. These Muskets would have been used as trade goods throughout the British Empire.

An 1887 Martini Henry IV in .577.450.

I am always looking for new additions to my "African Collection", thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Mr Wolverine; 02-26-2012 at 12:19 AM.