Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: ZULU Weapons & SA Rifles

Beautiful Collection.. Those short Zulu spears revolutionized tribal combat.Before that fighting was much more ritualized.Wonderful workmanship.Thanks for the nice photo's.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tacfoley's Avatar
    I have a DWM-made Mauser carbine, one of a lot of 2000 that were produced in early 1897 for the RZA and shipped out there later that year. It ended up in the possession of Mijneer Piet Huijsen, who had the misfortune to be taken prisoner after the Battle of Korannafontein in 1901. He thoughtfully carved his name in straight lines on the stock - a common enough habit that the Boers had, that has enabled many current owners to trace the background of the original owner. Thanks to the help of Pieter de Jaeger, whose family farm the land on which the batttle was fought, and on whose veranda the prisoners were relieved of their weapons and questioned, I was able to find out a lot more about Piet. Andre in the Anglo-Boer War Museum in Bloemfontein was also very helpful.

A recent book published by an Australian expert in the field of carved Boer arms used images of my little carbine in his book.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 11-08-2010 at 01:19 PM.

A recent book published by an Australian expert in the field of carved Boer arms used images of my little carbine in his book.

tac

Super, thank you. Page 245 in his latest edition. If you ever wanted to part with her I would give her a good home.

John, that collection is exquisite.

Hopefully I'll see it again in a future issue of Trophy Rooms

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tacfoley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post

tac

Super, thank you. Page 245 in his latest edition. If you ever wanted to part with her I would give her a good home.
    PM me for my email and I'll send you pics!!

Best

tac

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Ardent's Avatar
    Northern BC, Coastal BC, or Africa. Depends on the season.
    How long until Mr. Hipwell retires to Africa? I can't imagine you haven't played with the idea. We're thinking to moving over for a few years, in a few years. Time will tell, there's career progression I'm trying for in the meantime.

CGN Regular
    very cool collection

CGN Ultra frequent flyer beltfed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardent View Post
    How long until Mr. Hipwell retires to Africa? I can't imagine you haven't played with the idea. We're thinking to moving over for a few years, in a few years. Time will tell, there's career progression I'm trying for in the meantime.
    I know about a dozen folks from South Africa that think that idea would be insanity....
    Life Member CCFR and CSSA
    Posts made by the pseudonym "Beltfed" may not accurately reflect the beliefs and opinions of the Registered User.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post

A later smaller Zulu fighting shield over a miscellaneous assortment of African hunting spears. On the right two Massi Lion spears.
    Thank you so much for this post. Many years ago I bought a very strange-looking spear from a long-gone store in Toronto. I now know that it is a Maasai Lion spear with a blade the length of a sword, a short wooden grip wrapped in string, and a long iron spike behind.

Not real, alas, just a tourist-copy, crudely hammered iron with no edge, but it looks okay hanging on my wall. Sorry I don't have a camera.
    Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
    - Seneca the Younger

Its interesting to note that the Brits quit using their red Serge uniforms in the field in the Boer War because the Boers were deadly accurate marksmen and the red uniform made them even more of a target. Though the Khaki was first used in India, it really came into its own in the Boer War and the Brit logic for the red.."Never let the enemy see blood on a British uniform" went way out the window. As a kid in England, souvenirs of the Boer War and Zulu wars were everywhere. I "played" with an 1879 rifle and 18" bayonet with my buddies. also, 2nd WW stuff was everywhere, I had a Luger, an SS dress dagger, a Lietz[sp] artillery spotting scope, Coal scuttle helmet, they were everywhere, wish I had it now. Great collection of Knobkerries [sp].

Adding to my post, just read your safari post, wow, that is an amazing set of pics and a great story to boot, thanks for sharing with us.
    "A working class hero is something to be"
    John Lennon

Member...NRA- NFA- Conservative Party of Canada,- BC Wildlife Federation

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast