Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: ZULU Weapons & SA Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by bcbravo2zero View Post
    BTW gents, of course, my comments are not my conclusions. My info comes from a few reviews of the compiled historical research, and interestingly, archaeological investigations. I have always been very interested in these events b/c my family comes from Abergavenny, Wales and the surrounding area, ie/ where the South Wales Borderers, who fought at Rorke's Drift, were recruited from.

Sadly, although I can boast that I've set foot on every continent (except Antarctica), I have only briefly visited northern Africa. I would love to visit these places we're discussing...
    Correction!:

The unit which fought at Rorke's Drift was a Company of the 2nd Bn, 24th of Foot, The Warwickshires.That, of course, was in 1879.

The South Wales Borderers were not formed until after the Cardwell Reforms of 1881.
    CSSA (OHA), CPC SSA (RSO), CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Rule 303 View Post
    Correction!:

The unit which fought at Rorke's Drift was a Company of the 2nd Bn, 24th of Foot, The Warwickshires.That, of course, was in 1879.

The South Wales Borderers were not formed until after the Cardwell Reforms of 1881.
    Ha! Yes, absolutely true, they were renamed later. But the Regiment was based in Brecon, Wales, not Warwickshire, and no one in Abergavenny or Wales would use that mouthfull when discussing Rorke's Drift. They're always referred to as the S. Wales Borderers or the Men of Harlech (from the beloved song, not b/c they were from Harlech). And although recruits were from Monmouthshire, the Brecons, Powys, etc., indeed there were certainly Englishmen and Irishmen in there too.
    Last edited by bcbravo2zero; 07-01-2012 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Welsh to Wales

Martini Enfield mk 1 1873
    A dear old gentleman gave me this rifle recently. Apparently it belonged to a English Captain who was stationed in South Africa. This rifle changed hands and was then given to a family member who gave it to my friend about 40 years ago.
    The rifle is in very good condition and after obtaining some 577-450 Martini brass i reloaded it with 480gr lead bullets and black powder.
    What a surprise!.
    I was blown away by the accuracy of this rifle at 100 yard. 11/13 shots in 6 inches and the big slug hits like a ton of bricks. One can clearly hear it striking the boards. Shot about 4-5 inch high at 100 yard and dead centre. Amazing for a 140 yr. old rifle!
    Anyway thought I want to share it with you as I wonder what stories it could have told if it was able to speak
    I also wonder about the original Captain and who he was etc.

ttt
    Last edited by The Road Surfer; 11-17-2016 at 10:03 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Teapot's Avatar
    Hamilton, Ontario; the southern shore of Canada.
    Britton and African! Modern and primitive! What a comparison and how human.

ttt
    Last edited by The Road Surfer; 11-17-2016 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Road Surfer View Post
    May I suggest two movies (for a rainy day) Zulu and Zulu Dawn........Hollywood....but some good acting....Enjoy.
    Not Hollywood, I am glad to say. And you're quite right about them being two good movies.
    Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
    - Seneca the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by The Road Surfer View Post
    May I suggest two movies (for a rainy day) Zulu and Zulu Dawn........Hollywood....but some good acting....Enjoy.
    Yes, two great movies and both are historically correct. If you enjoyed them go to my last page here and look at the threads; Rorkes Drift, Isandlwana and Melvill & Coghill. Since placing those posts, I have been back and walked from Isandlwana to Fugitive's Drift and swam in the Buffalo river, it was cold!

Hi John, Lovely collection. I go to Rourkes drift everytime I go to RSA stay at Rattrays place when im there, a bit pricey but a lovely set up the eating area is like an old officers mess, absolutely stunning. OUt of curiosity, do you mind me asking where you go shopping for the curios whilst when in RSA, I usually hit up the war store whilst there but have had problems finding curios, in particular the knob curries. Need to get a few more and would love a short stabbing spear, regardless lovely collection.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JHC-II View Post
    Hi John, Lovely collection. I go to Rourkes drift everytime I go to RSA stay at Rattrays place when im there, a bit pricey but a lovely set up the eating area is like an old officers mess, absolutely stunning. OUt of curiosity, do you mind me asking where you go shopping for the curios whilst when in RSA, I usually hit up the war store whilst there but have had problems finding curios, in particular the knob curries. Need to get a few more and would love a short stabbing spear, regardless lovely collection.

thanks
    Send me an e-mail I have some spears for sale. I have found it very difficult to get good items from SA.
    Cheers