Page 1 of 12 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Friday is now over...... I want your thoughts.

Business Member Rep Wolverine .303's Avatar
    Lattitude - 49.89617 | Longitude - 100.85384

Black Friday is now over...... I want your thoughts.

So I'll be honest, hunting season all the way through winter is basically my favourite time of year. BUT, Black Friday and Christmas are my least favourite things about this time and I'll tell ya why.

My view coming from the side of things as someone whom works within retail, be it firearms or anything else is a little more shall we say blunt. It is one of the most toxic times of the year, and without going into details some interactions can be outright preposterous for no reason..... Not all mind you, we have some we speak to daily, weekly, monthly, old and new alike we have some pretty amazing customers. But this time of year brings out the worst in some.

My view as a regular guy looking to buy something cheap....I don't. I rarely buy things I don't need I'm a simple living style of person. Pretty sure the last thing I bought ( that wasn't some silly cheap $100.00 gun that comes through the door ) was a TV 4x years ago because ours finally died.. I don't really sale shop, if I need something I buy it.

Sometimes something comes up and I'm like, "dang, that's a good deal...." and I'll buy something. But I don't actively shop for deals on things I don't need. Anyways those are my views...

For anyone who was looking around this past week, what did you think?

Were sales up to your "standards"?

What do you expect from firearms retailers on Black Friday?

I am not going to go into the intricacies of working within the realm of the firearms industry, but let me tell you it is like no other. Don't get me wrong either this is not some "whah whah whining thread" I am genuinely curious as to what people's expectations are here.

Electronics, clothing, and other more "heavily-consumed" items are not even close to the same as firearms. Margins, deliveries, distributors, everything is totally different so trying to compare it may turn out to be very disappointing.

Let me know I would like to hear it.. And please keep in mind, this isn't strictly about Wolverine's sales or promotions. I am asking you a general question about the entirety of the Black Friday week you have just experienced within the firearms industry.
    Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com
    www.wolverinesupplies.com

Saw a number of good deals at site sponsors but didn’t need anything really as I am well stocked, I just work/plan that way. I appreciated the efforts that vendors put to try have a range of items at nice but not shocking discounts. Given the way things have unfolded over the last two years and the current problems with resupply and the hellish time folks are having in BC I think most vendors did as well or more than a reasonable person could expect. One killer for me these days that is in no way the fault of vendors is the hellish shipping costs for bulk ammo in particular.
    I have purchased from you in the past and will do so in the future as I like your stock and approach.
    All the best to you and the rest working retail and supply!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Evanguy's Avatar
    I bought into a black firday sale, that i just happened to come across while not looking at all.

Then the dealer held it for me as UPS wouldnt accept packages to this part of BC due to road closures. (Its shipped now)

So im excited i found that deal.

Geoman, Usp ships ammo for a reasonable rate. It was 39$ to have a few pounds of powder a few thousand primers and 1000 22rimfire from Ontario to BC.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    1) People in general have gotten a lot less friendly in the last 2yrs. Sorry for anyone that works the front lines and has to deal with that
    2) The economic recovery has not been a V shape like normal it has been a K shape. Some people recovered fine and other are still struggling. Money is still tight for a lot of us.
    3) we have been conditioned to expect free shipping for pretty much anything over $100. Now that shipping costs have gone up it doesn't make sense for you to eat that but some big places still can. Its hard for me to change my expectation quickly.
    4) i have firearms fatigue. with all these incoming ban scares and availibity shortages i've been buying everything i can afford every month. i don't have a coffee can with cash like i usually did.
    5) inflation/USD conversion. The price of everything has been going up a lot recently. this isn't just on you, its everywhere. but my paycheque is the same.
    6) The sales- your actual question. Most of the sale prices i saw (at all retailers) were basically the regular sticker price from 18 months ago. Its hard to excited for that. I bought some ammo but that was about it. There were some hot items that were marked down but no door crashers that would justify me going into debt to have.

I completely understand that your business model doesn't give you the same kinds of margin on firearm's as you have on accessories/merchandize.

I don't have any suggestions on what you could do different? I think the market will struggle for a while. Hopeful you will continue to be successful!

CGN frequent flyer
    Wasn't really looking for much as I have transitioned to trap shooting - my needs/wants are very small.

I did find target shells for a relatively decent price (bought 10 flats).

Right now I am on the hunt for a winter trap jacket which it seems like Canada has very little options, looking at some used jackets on ebay.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I thought the whole idea of Black Friday sales was to stimulate consumer spending during an identified (historically) low period. As far as I know, that strategy paid off dramatically with an inversion in the (historical) spending. In fact, the media has driven a narrative that says that many consumers'- anticipating the sales - now actually hold off on any major spending in the weeks leading up to it. I assume that most consumers assume that most retailers are still making money even at the 'sale' prices.

Am I wrong?
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

From my understanding, for 50% of my shooting supplies I buy it on Black Friday, I can save about 20-30% by just doing that, MDT had an amazing sell though, I'll give them that.

For my self, I don't pay attention to holiday sales whatsoever. Like you, I'm not in the habit of buying something I don't need and (unfortunately) that means I too rarely need something at the exact time it goes on sale.

This past week I was vaguely aware of black friday (mostly because my junk email folder kept filling up with promotions) but I never thought to check out any sales online or in person.
    I guess I'm a poor consumer but, should I need something from you(or anyone in general) next week, I'll be happy to shop at regular prices.

Cheers!
    Paul.
    AKA leelad
    www.prprecisionrifles.com
    On Facebook
    On Instagram

“Where Performance and Elegance meet” P.R. Precision

“Because life is too short to own an ugly gun...”

People are quite something around these sorts of events and there is a massive expectation vs. reality gap in what a business can offer as far as discounts go. Margins on firearms especially are beyond thin, I think there is more latitude around accessories and clothing type items. If someone thinks they are going to see a 40% off sale on Accuracy International and a free S&B PMII thrown in for good measure they need to give their head a shake. I've purchased from you folks a bunch of times and the service and commitment behind the product are worth more to me than a fleeting sale.

I scooped up some small items I had been wanting from MDT's sale (hard to pass up the savings on magazines) and checked a number of site sponsors but didn't see anything I had to have or truly needed. I am putting some pennies aside toward a progressive reloading setup and it will likely be through Wolverine should you have what I'm looking for in stock from Dillon.

Retail is no easy gig especially in the gun world, I find there is a race to the bottom in terms of quality and price with some manufacturers trying to squeeze something out to the market to draw people in which influences peoples expectations and opinions on what something should cost.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer drift1122's Avatar
    I always thought black friday was a way to move old stock.
    CCFR/NFA

Page 1 of 12 12345678911 ... LastLast