Thread: RPAL course, exam and approval time - REAL delays

BANNED

RPAL course, exam and approval time - REAL delays

hey guys,

i just wanted to make a positive thread for once about delays. when i decided to get my RPAL, i was warned that it would be well into 2011 before i got it, and that delays were attrocious, that being in Quebec made it even longer, etc etc. Basically, everyone saying it was a real pain in the ass to go through the process.

Well, i am glad to prove you wrong, at least in my case, and say this :

- when i called to take the RPAL course and exam, i was in the classroom the very next morning. Thats 18 hours after i decided to get my RPAL.

- in that very same class, i was told that if i passed the tests, i would get my certificate by mail and that it would take 4 weeks to get to me. My certificate was in my mailbox within 5 business days of the exam.

- 2 weeks after shipping my application to the RCMP, me and my references got a call for the interview.

- EXACTLY 28 days after i sent my application, which is the waiting period required by law, i was granted my RPAL and it was in the mail.

so all in all, not even a month and a half to get it. And i didnt do anything special.

i just wanted to make this thread because it seems that although everyone in the community seems to be very supportive of eachother, i feel that people over-warning newbies and scaring them of insane delays is no better than the government slapping all kinds of laws and procedures to discourage people, strategy that you all seem to dislike so much.

Just sayin'.

cheers y'all. If you want your RPAL, go get it.

CGN Regular
    Nice to hear a positive experience about the Canadian Firearms Program for once

Good stuff!
    -Adam

CGN Ultra frequent flyer twistedbrilliance's Avatar
    same thing exactly here, when I had done mine. I was told it was all approved and I just had to wait the period after just the second week. Then the waiting did feel like forever but not as bad as I had expected...
    lib*er*al: 'li-b(&-)r&l
    noun: a person so open-minded their brains have fallen out

i am so jealous...
    I started the process you described on june 14th which is when i called about the CFSC, the earliest available was September 17, 18 and 19, now i am still waiting for the stamped test results 32 days after they where sent in.

i hope more peoples experiences are like that of sewktbk
    Member:
    CSSA
    NFA
    The Grange

It's nice to hear that you got it so quickly.

Good for you! Happy shooting.
    fire me up

I also went for my Pal and Rpal on aug. 29, sent in my forms on sept.14 and received my card on Oct.25. About a week earlier then I figured. Glad to be part of the gun nut population.

Hearing these good reports is making me feel a little better. I just finished the course yesterday! I was hoping to have it by Christmas, and if things go as well for me it might actually happen! Too bad I won't have a nice new handgun under the tree for Christmas though. But thats my fault for waiting too long to take the RPAL course.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by evilgrin View Post
    Hearing these good reports is making me feel a little better. I just finished the course yesterday! I was hoping to have it by Christmas, and if things go as well for me it might actually happen! Too bad I won't have a nice new handgun under the tree for Christmas though. But thats my fault for waiting too long to take the RPAL course.

Cheers!

might be your fault for waiting so long, but more importantly, your not going to have a restricted under the tree 'cuz you forgot to bring your wife along to the course so she could buy you one

Good to hear ,

I'm still waiting. They received my apl. on Sep. 3. I got a call for the interview within 2 weeks and after nothing ( not my wife or my references called). Today I called the RCMP about the delay . I was told by a nice lady they sent my apl. to the CFO for finale review . When they get the green light from the CFO they will finish processing ( which could take 45 days)

Jozsef
    MOLON LABE

BANNED

Good for you, but there's another side to the coin

Quote Originally Posted by sewktbk View Post
    hey guys,

i just wanted to make a positive thread for once about delays. when i decided to get my RPAL, i was warned that it would be well into 2011 before i got it, and that delays were attrocious, that being in Quebec made it even longer, etc etc. Basically, everyone saying it was a real pain in the ass to go through the process.

Well, i am glad to prove you wrong, at least in my case, and say this :

- when i called to take the RPAL course and exam, i was in the classroom the very next morning. Thats 18 hours after i decided to get my RPAL.

- in that very same class, i was told that if i passed the tests, i would get my certificate by mail and that it would take 4 weeks to get to me. My certificate was in my mailbox within 5 business days of the exam.
    In Ontario, (I'm in Ottawa) the examiners do tell you your score, BUT the results have to be sent to the CFO Ontario to be stamped and returned to you so that you can then send them in with your application (or send them in if your application is already in Miramichi.)

Guess what? I did my PAL/RPAL exams on the 2nd and 3rd of October and i'm STILL waiting to get the stamped results back. One and a half months so far.

Mind you, my application (minus stamped exam results) has been Online with the RCMP since the 24th of September.

- 2 weeks after shipping my application to the RCMP, me and my references got a call for the interview.

- EXACTLY 28 days after i sent my application, which is the waiting period required by law, i was granted my RPAL and it was in the mail.

so all in all, not even a month and a half to get it. And i didnt do anything special.

i just wanted to make this thread because it seems that although everyone in the community seems to be very supportive of eachother, i feel that people over-warning newbies and scaring them of insane delays is no better than the government slapping all kinds of laws and procedures to discourage people, strategy that you all seem to dislike so much.

Just sayin'.

cheers y'all. If you want your RPAL, go get it.